LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182060 - 01/16/03 08:53 PM Info wanted please (world record griz)
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Any of you guys hear about a world record Grizzly a fish and game guy shot in Alaska While deer hunting?
I got some pics and stuff but am hoping for a website with more info.
Apparently the bear charged the guy from about 50 yards.He emptied a 7mm mag into it reloaded and did it again.
It was 12.5 ft at the shoulders and something like 1650 lbs.
Apparently this bear had already killed a couple people.
Totally amazing.

#182061 - 01/16/03 09:20 PM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
a freind of mine sent me the pictures of that bear,it is a awesome animal.that must of been the ultimate adrenaline rush.i don't know much more about it though.scott

#182062 - 01/17/03 12:10 AM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
John B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: North
Here is a story. Scroll down the page a bit. I dont know anything about this site so cant confirm its authenticity. They tell the story a bit different. Good picture though.
http://www.snopes2.com/photos/deadbear.htm

That is one big critter! A real shame to see such a majestic animal have to die, but this may actually be one of those real "self-defense" situations. Wouldnt want to see that thing BEARING down on me laugh

#182063 - 01/17/03 03:17 AM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
Titanium Cranium Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim
Oh my God!!! I guided for a season up on the Alagnak in AK., and lived in AK. for several years. We had bears in the 1000-1500 lb range all over the place in the Katmai/King Salmon area. I went through more addrenaline in that season than I will go through the rest of my life. I encountered griz in the 1000-1200 lb range within 6 feet of my position at Brooks. My hearts pounding again after seeing that pic!

Take into account that a griz' heart beats once every four seconds, and they can run when charging at about 30 MPH (44 feet per second) means if you miss a vital he'll most likely take you out. With a paw a foot wide and claws 6 inches deep you'll come out like sliced cheese. WOW! That is some picture!!!

#182064 - 01/17/03 08:08 AM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
That picture has been floating around the net,for a couple years. I've had it e-mailed to me a few times,and a different story is attatched every time. It would be interesting to know the truth behind the pics.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#182065 - 01/17/03 10:17 AM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I would mess my pants eek

#182066 - 01/17/03 12:59 PM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
Rooster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Twin Bridges, Montana
Apparently that is one big bear that was shot in 2000-01 season in the Bristol Bay area.
The photo has been floating around for a while, and as was said earlier, has a different story attached each time.
According to the actual record books, both Alaska and Boone & Crockett - this bear is not a record, or was never registered.
The claim that the bear had already eaten two people is also false, according to the "people in the know".
Its definately a trophy animal, but I think there may be a little photoshop edidting going on here.
According to ADFW the largest bear harvested in recent years was a bit over 10.5 ft - still a formidable opponent.
I'll see if I can get a few more details.
Gotta love the web.

If I was tall, I'd probably be stupid.

#182067 - 01/18/03 12:56 AM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
ctflyfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: ridgefield wa. usa
Several people sent me a set of photos of that bear last fall. I believe that the Anchorage newspaper did 2 stories on it and part of the story is true. It was shot by a USAF airman and it was a big bear. Howevr, it was only about 10.6', not a record. Photoshop in action again!

#182068 - 01/18/03 01:01 AM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually heard it was a lost Yakima River guide that killed that bear. Got it on the swing! Then ran it over with his Clackacraft and bonked it on the head with his special pop can.
Then made a victory hollor and did the "doodah" dance.. wink

#182069 - 01/18/03 04:01 AM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
baitbouncer Offline
Smolt

Loc: Grays harbor(central park)
are y0u kidding me? 12.5 feet long, 1600 pounds. if a grizz like this was harvested, it is the official world record. id like to see legit pictures.

#182070 - 01/18/03 04:24 AM Re: Info wanted please (world record griz)
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
I haven't heard the story about this bear before now. If you compare this guys hand to his face and compare the hand to the paw it is defianately an interesting picture. No doubt that is one big arse bear.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 392 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |