Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182372 - 01/20/03 09:21 PM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
with or without your parents permission?
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#182373 - 01/20/03 09:37 PM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
juggernaut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: federal wannabea way
I have a 171/2' SMOKERCRAFT (aluminum). Have had it out in gusts to 40 mph. Never was worried about making it back to the dock, as the boat handled the wind and waves great. Although my 171/2' boat (open bow) did well on this occasion, the depth and spacing between the swells is what ultimately will swamp your boat. The closest call I have ever had came from a super-tug during last summer in the south sound on a perfectly calm day. This tug put out three monster wakes that broke over the bow even though I was ready for them. There is now doubt that a covered bow (regardless of length) is ultimately "safer" than an open bow, especially in the shorter boats.This I believe is true until you get above 20-21'. Also, your knowledge of the area, weather and boat skills will help decide what is safe.

#182374 - 01/20/03 09:44 PM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
I've always fished boats that are on the small side, and with all the bat launches and places to run to in the Sound I'd say the 15 foot Alaskan with a 25 that I have now, or something similar with a long shaft and 27 inch or better sides, is a pretty good choice if you want to stay on the small side. I used this on Johnstone Strait and even out into Queen Charlotte Sound last summer with no problems. Just don't wait for the waves to come up - when the wind starts head in. When it gets rough you also have to get off the step - real drag if you have a ways to go. Finally, the Alaskan doesn't have a well - again no big deal if you pay attention, but getting hit by a big boat wake or two in the @ss can potentially sink you. For these reasons, and also because several rivits loosened up this summer and since it's still on 100% warrenty I can get 100% trade in value, I'm trading mine in on a 16 foot Lodge Series - another half-foot of freeboard and a well make me feel better. The reason I can't consider something bigger is that most of the time my wife has a 4 horse trailer attached to the truck, so if I want to fish very much I have to have something that I can haul with the minivan rolleyes

Now what a lot of people don't know about freshwater is that it has less surface tension than saltwater and is a lot more prone to produce dangerous conditions even in a short fetch and moderate wind. Go out on Chelan some time in the 25 mph afternoon north wind we get all the time - with that 55 mile fetch and vertical sides it will give you 8 foot standing waves eek The Sound is safer.

I don't go in the ocean any more, but have in the distant past on a calm day in a 12 foot Valco with a 10 horse. Not an ocean boat however. I think I heard some "experts" say that because of the wave period in the Sound you would need a 21 foot or larger boat to keep from burying the bow in bad conditions. Probably would want something that size in the ocean also.

#182375 - 01/20/03 11:13 PM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
hey mooch is that you who I see launching a driftboat at eglon the last couple of years? just curious.

#182376 - 01/20/03 11:26 PM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

RF,

More than likely. It's one of my go to honey holes on the zipperpond. You might've even seen me get baptised there one fine morning a few years back. Say hi if you see me puttin' around out there sometime.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#182377 - 01/21/03 02:59 AM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
wormyhermie Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma
My dad (herm) and his buddy took our 17 foot almar light from PA to Just north of Petersburg AK. But i made that trip many times in a 42' thermodyne. I think i got more sleep. but they had more fun. thumbs

#182378 - 01/21/03 03:40 AM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: hermanghardtke@yahoo.com
It was an experience! Lot of fun.
We brought it all the way back too.

I imediately bought a 27' Trophy and took it the next time.

herm

#182379 - 01/21/03 11:16 AM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

OK Arklier, it's settled!

A 17' Almar Lite and you are good to go. Period.

Awesome testimony Hermie. My hats off to you Herm. That's one for the books for sure. thumbs

My butt gets sore just thinking about it. Herm, how long did it take? Were you able to squeeze in any fishing along the way or was it express?

#182380 - 01/21/03 09:58 PM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Mooch,

It was a real hoot! We were gone 4 weeks 5 days. Base camped in Petersburg, Prince Rupert, Rivers Inlet, Alert Bay.

Fished everywhere! Caught from halibut to kelp perch. We had halibut and salmon processed and flown home from Petersburg .
We released what we didn't eat . We caught crabs and shrimp, dug clams.

Went thru three props, one cannon electric dwn rigger(fell off) 2 fishin poles (stepped on) we folded the happy troller when we were flushing the boat in the lake at home and broke the antenna backing the set up into the garage.

Sorry I got so chatty, (tmi)
herm laugh

#182381 - 01/22/03 10:12 PM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
herm Offline
Returning Adult

OOPS is the name of the Almar, the name is very appropriate.

herm

#182382 - 01/23/03 01:56 AM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
fishingtoo Offline
Juvenille at Sea

IMHO, this is one of those occasions where bigger is indeed better! If you go too small, you will lose too many days fishing when the weather forecast is a little marginal, and you will limit places you can go i.e. that 14-15' boat is great in puget sound (most of the time, Iv'e seen 14' boat swamped at Mukilteo too) but what about if you want to try mid-channel bank, or sekiu, or Neah Bay? Going just a little bigger will open up a lot more doors for you. Also the deeper "V" makes a huge difference. I know someone who has a 17' Arima, who fishes out of Ilwaco for 15 days every year with no problems. One last tip, if going with that larger boat, get a cuddy cabin, not an open bow, even if the open bow can be canvassed over. I have a 19' and I went back & forth about getting cuddy vs open bow. thought the open bow would be more convenient if mooching. I ended up getting the cuddy, and would probably be crab bait today if I hadn't.

#182383 - 01/23/03 02:25 AM Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

Well, I went to the sportsman's show today, and fell in love with the Duckworths. But the lack of a real towing vehicle and approximately $20K meant I had to settle for a 10' Porta-bote. Oh well. Something to look forward to wink

Oh yeah, and I won't be taking it out in the salt, just so no one freaks smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, wolverine), 1118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |