Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182424 - 01/19/03 07:12 PM Learning to tie steelhead jigs
Fred Fishstone Offline
Eyed Egg

I would like to learn to build and tie my own jigs for a variety of reaseons. Does anyone have any advice or comment on what type of equipment to buy and where to get information/instruction on tying procedures
or techniques?
Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

#182425 - 01/19/03 09:32 PM Re: Learning to tie steelhead jigs
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
You could take a fly tying class. Its the same techniques you use for flies, only jigs usually are a lot simpler.

#182426 - 01/19/03 11:20 PM Re: Learning to tie steelhead jigs
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
Bossman's got the right answer. Jig are pretty easy and you can get pretty inventive with them.

~steelymann~

#182427 - 01/20/03 12:09 AM Re: Learning to tie steelhead jigs
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
I agree with previous posts.
Started making my own in 1984- I thought the price was a bit high at the time down at the stores by the barrier dam on the Cowlitz- the only places the original Leo sold them. Some frieds and I tore them apart and have been making our own in quantity ever since. I also tied flies professionally at one time.

There are some great books out on fly and jig making; if your not interested in the endless subleties of fly-tying you really don't need to invest the time for a whole class. You should be able to whip out some jigs with a few directions/pictures from a book.

If you can get your hands on them, there were a couple of articles in past "Salmon Trout Steelheader" magazines detailing jig making for steelhead (June-July 1998 and August-September 1999). I recommend these articles mostly because I wrote 'em. They show how to make a "Leo" type jig with beads and a couple of others.
One type you can make with only yarn and a pipe cleaner; no tying required. Guaranteed to outfish a Leo jig 10-1(not really- inside joke-right, Ben!).
If you want to tie you will need; jigheads/hooks, yarn, chenille, and some jig-tying thread. That's about it. A fly tying vise to hold the hook while you're tying is a necessity, and would be around 20$.
Play around a bit and I'm sure you'll figure out how to make everything stick on the hook long enough to catch fish. And yes, you can catch fish at times on nearly anything stuck on or wrapped around a jig hook. Experimenting is half the fun. I've caught a fair number of fish on just a section of "bait yarn wrapped and tied on the hook.

Have fun. E-mail if you need more ideas.
GS

p.s. Best advice I can give you is to be careful when your buying your hooks or jig heads. Most of them out there are made for bass/panfish etc. and WILL straighten. Don't suffer through the heartbreak of a big cromer turning his head as he's coming to the beach only to spit out a straightened hook! Gamakatsu (the extra-heavy wire) are good. Owner makes a good one. And Eagle Claw O'shaugnessy (in Cabela's, etc) is good in the sizes #1 and up. The standard Mustads all the catalogs have will not hold up!

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 344 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |