Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182475 - 01/20/03 01:16 PM No trailiers in left lane I5
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
There was a thread about someone who got a ticket pulling a boat in the hammer lane last week. Just some info, I saw the sign on I5 going south right across from the weigh station in Dupont that states something like
Autos with trailers or over 10,000 GVW prohibited in left lane. So, it looks like no matter what your GVW is you cannot be in the left lane for passing or any other reason if you are pulling a trailer. I didn't know this either, maybe a Thurston county thing? I don't know how far south this applies, or how far north, but it seems I5 is pretty picky about trailers!

Watch out for Mr. Bear, he is everywhere down here!

#182476 - 01/20/03 01:55 PM Re: No trailiers in left lane I5
powerstrokincowb Offline
Smolt

Loc: Philly via Puyallup
Actually it is a state law. Last year on the way home from fishing for gators, I got pulled over also but no ticket. I started a thread here, and this is what I found out.

Any vehicle in combination -- pulling a trailer -- must obey the posted truck speed limit. Also, any vehicle in combination may not use the far left lane for any reason (even to pass) on a three lane highway.

However, if the highway is two lanes, you can use the left lane. Also, if the highway is three lanes, and the third lane is a carpool lane, you CAN use the carpool lane if you have enough passengers. The carpool lane does not count as a third lane.

What I do not know, however, is if the highway is four lanes, and the fourth is a carpool lane, whether or not you can use the carpool lane. Since you cannot use the third far left lane, how can you get to the carpool lane?
beathead
You need a law degree to understand Washington's driving laws!!
eek

#182477 - 01/20/03 02:37 PM Re: No trailiers in left lane I5
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Beam me over there Scotty. laugh

#182478 - 01/20/03 03:18 PM Re: No trailiers in left lane I5
'Head hunter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton, WA.
Psc:
You're pretty much right on, except it's a fed law, and trucks & combinations may use the 2 right lanes, only. Hill climbing lanes, exit ramps, HOV lanes, etc...dont count. (Dont get caught in a HOV lane in a big rig, though.)
I dont believe Thurston Co is trying to get away w/ anything, though, there are localized restrictions which may be applied wherever DOT feels a specific need. So that RH lane thing is only for (probably) that particular hill grade.
The one thing very important, however, is that little combos are restricted to the truck & trailer speed limit... I see soo many cars w/ boats & campers zipping along at 70,(+ often) not even realizing its worth a real fat tix., and not aware of the public hazard they're bringing to the road... They dont realize how much more stopping distance they need, or how quick they can lose it if they blow a tire, or whatever.
I drove over the road big rig for as coupla years, and even tho I dont do it any more, the education I got was immeasurable. I saw some really stupid stuff out there, and was constantly amazed at how unwilling people were to accept responsibility for their lack of judgement...
Well, nuff said. Be safe getting there and back. Even if there are fish there to be caught, its just not worth a tix or accident.
'Head hunter

#182479 - 01/20/03 05:40 PM Re: No trailiers in left lane I5
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Thanks for the public service announcement. I wasn't aware that trailer vehicles had to travel at the slower speed. Will set the cruise contol accordingly.

#182480 - 01/20/03 05:44 PM Re: No trailiers in left lane I5
TROUTnSALMON Offline
Fry

Loc: Lacey, Wa
Last year I was coming back from Lake Washington Sockeye Fishing, and I was cruising in the center lane as fast as the flow of traffic when a vehicle 2 cars up dynamited their brakes. To avoid the mess, i went out into the fast lane, and sure enough one of Washington's finest patrolman saw me, pulled me over, and gave me a ticket for $85. He did not give a Rat's butt about me trying to avoid the pile up.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Alpne Dan, bjcarpetguy, red river, westcoastdayton
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 252 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645379 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |