Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185922 - 02/09/03 07:00 PM Bank Fishing
zicm Offline
Egg

Loc: Portland, Or
Recently moved to the area, am interested in finding out where to fish for SteelHead. No boat yet, trying to understand what is the most practical for the rivers.

#185923 - 02/09/03 07:33 PM Re: Bank Fishing
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
Thats easy. Fish the best....Willie Boats!

#185924 - 02/09/03 07:52 PM Re: Bank Fishing
FISHNFEEND Offline
Alevin

Buy Alumaweld, they are tuff sleds, and they have more value for your dollar

#185925 - 02/09/03 08:52 PM Re: Bank Fishing
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

if you go with a drift boat you have 3 options
fiberglass-warm in cold weather and quiet over riffles but they dont track well when pulling plugs
aluminum/metal-cold as hell in winter and quite a bit louder over the riffles but track extremely well whenn pulling plugs
wood-warm in winter,quiet on riffles, and usually track and stay true with plugs...but being wood if you beat on them you WILL hurt them..which can be bad.. :p

then there are sleds..if you want something to go anywhere buy a 16-18 foot sled or john boat with a semi-vee hull(works better in the bay or rough water) and in my respects get on with a tiller control,they are just easier..put a 70 to 90 hp motor on it and skip it across the water

as to your question about where to fish..classic rivers around here(western washington) you got the satsop,whynooche,humptulips,and chehalis..just try to learn these first.

down south, more towards you there is the cowlitz,kalama and most of the larger columbia tribs. those are some of the basics for south-western wash. sorry but i dont know anything about oregon.
just like anywhere else though...look at a map..find river...ask around about it, look and fish and wildlife's catch records for it and then go stooge around in it..

good luck and welcome to the board thumbs

#185926 - 02/09/03 10:08 PM Re: Bank Fishing
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I think he was asking about rivers, boys. Assuming that I'm reading that correctly, your closest choices are the clackamas and sandy. As you start driving further away, you get the Wilson, the Nehalem, the Mollala, and the Santiam. Pick one, drive down to it on a saturday, and look for cars. That'll tell you where the fishing spots are.

Check out www.ifish.net as well for more portland oriented info.

#185927 - 02/10/03 12:02 AM Re: Bank Fishing
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
Since you live in Portland, the Kalama, Washougal, Cowlitz and Elochoman aren't that far of a drive. Otherwise, hook up with someone from the board who is willing to show you around. :p

Good Luck

~steelymann~
fishy fishy

#185928 - 02/10/03 12:56 AM Re: Bank Fishing
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Zicm,

Just to add to the good suggestions already made, I would just point out, as one who own a boat for steelheading, that a boat is not at all necessary to effectively fish for steelhead in the northwest. It may get you to some spots you couldn't otherwise reach but there is a lot of good water available to the bankie. On a couple already mentioned, and most of the others during the summer, I wouldn't even consider using a boat. And for later in the season, upper strecthes where boats don't go can be great places to fish too. I only mention this because so many people think they are missing out on more steelhead than they really are by not having a boat. So get your line in some water and don't forget to post your first fish. wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#185929 - 02/10/03 10:26 AM Re: Bank Fishing
zicm Offline
Egg

Loc: Portland, Or
Thanks for the reply's. Looks like I have some homework to do on the boats. By the way I did fish the Clackamas yesterday. Drove out near Barton. Although many were fishing, I unfortunately came home with just wet feet as I have not yet unpacked the Box with my Waders.

#185930 - 02/10/03 10:46 AM Re: Bank Fishing
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
I would suggest hiring a guide. I don't know about your area but up here there are some that will even guide you for bank fishing. Ask around and get some good recommendations and make sure you tell the guide how you like to fish, then just go out and watch and learn. It will be the best money you ever spent. Otherwise join a local fishing club, one with the same conservation/political interests you have, there are usually some pretty good fishers in a club who would be willing to show you for free.

Beezer

#185931 - 02/11/03 01:01 AM Re: Bank Fishing
jimglo Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview Washingtion
Steelie man. I have lived in the kelso area for about 3 years and have fished most of the rivers in the area. I usually fish by myself or when I have a family member from back home. I am looking for some other people to fish with and share some thought on different teckniques. I have recently switched to bobber and jig and tie my own and love it. I usually fish the kalama and enjoy the the scenery more than the fishing. Let me know and maybe I will see you all on the river.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |