Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187721 - 02/21/03 12:54 AM Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Gang,

I am nearly ready to hang the hat up for a new career after 20 honorable years of Naval Service. One of my choices for a new career was chartering the Sound. Obviously my present 16' (Salmonator) isn't going to cut the mustard. I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of a 21' - 25', room for 3 fisherman, maybe 4... As of now, I am partial to the 22' HT Arima... However, I am open to other's ideas and opinions.

Looks like I might start as early as this Fall during my free time.. If not, probably be working on tugs or a harbormaster position somewhere in WA.

So shoot me some ideas or opinions.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#187722 - 02/21/03 01:17 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
DR,
Just went through the high end boat selection process with my old neighbor. He ended up having a Silver Streak built out of BC. Over 100k finished out for a 28 by 8.5, but a sweet ride. There's a bunch of guys building sport boats (welded alum) that are the six pack type of rigs out of the Lower Columbia area. If you are interested in any of the builders shoot me an email and I'll get some names numbers together for you. Obviously he spent a wad on his, but there were other outfits who were considerably less for a nice rig. His wife was calling the shots on the upgrades!

#187723 - 02/21/03 01:25 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Arimas are nice boats, but ...

The 21' Arima is only 8' wide, others are 8.6'.

More importantly, if I were going to run a charter, I'd want something that would get my clients to the action quickly and comfortably -- Arimas are nearly flat-bottomed, and will pound in a chop unless you power back to 15 or 20 MPH. A deep-V boat will slice through at 30 MPH (and suck a lot more gas :-) ).

I really liked the Parkers I saw at the boat show:

http://www.parkerboats.net
2120 Sport Cabin
2320 Sport Cabin
2310 Walkaround

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#187724 - 02/21/03 01:30 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Oops, I reread your original post, and saw that you were looking at the 22' Arima, not the 21'. Indeed, the 22' is 8' 9" wide, which is great for on the water, but can you tow it? I thought the legal limit without requiring special signage and/or equipment was 8' 6"?

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

#187725 - 02/21/03 01:36 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Downriggin-

Chris Bellows at Topwater Charters in Neah Bay has one of the nicest boats I've seen for chartering. Its a 26 ft Almar. His was built for fly fishing, but they make other models. You can take a look at his at:

http://www.fly-fishing-neahbay.com/

That boat has the most fishing room of any I've seen.

#187726 - 02/21/03 01:47 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Hey Downriggin, good luck on your future endeavors I hope the charter thing works out for you, I've actually thought about the same thing but I must admit, I've been spoiled by my years in Alaska, I don't think I would have the patience to spend alot of time on the Sound, that, and its hard to give up the gig I've got going up there, someone elses boat, gas, gear and room & board to boot.

Anyways, if I were to do it, I would run a 24/25 ft. boat, (4 clients will make you more $ then 3), and 22 ft boats get crowded fast with 5 men on board (I actually fished 4 out of a 21 ft Glasply for a couple years, not fun) don't cut corners on the power plant either, I've run Yamaha-Merc-Johnson outboards, a 454 gas engine and currently a Volvo turbo-diesel, if I were out fitting a boat the diesel would be a no-brainer, a hell of a lot more reliable and 1/2 the fuel consumption.
Another consideration is insurance, I've seen alot of strange things happen, hooks through various body parts, a tuffline amputated finger, stitches in the head after slipping on halibut slime, there's more but you get the point.
Chartering is brutal on equipment, I can't even guess how many rods I'll go through in a season, and reels, if you don't know how to rebuild now you'll probably learn soon after starting up. Then there's the terminal gear, get to know some reps. that will help a bit.
If you are not Coast Guard licensed you'll need to get an O.U.P.V. or 6 pack license, with your time in the Navy sea-time isn't a problem, the test takes some studying for but not that big a deal.
Well, I hope this doesn't discourage you to much but there is alot to consider when taking passengers for hire out on the salt.
1 last thing you might want to think about if your serious about chartering is spending summers up north, I know I could not make half the money here in the summer that I will make up north from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and there are alot more and bigger fish.
I hope this helps a little.

#187727 - 02/21/03 01:56 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Downriggin,
Sounds like a great way too retire after 20 years doing what you enjoy.As far as a boat you intend to use for charter If it was me I would stick with an aluminum boat.As mentioned above the Almars are a good boat and I was looking at the Boulton power boats website today and they have some really nice looking boats in there.The upkeep on aluminum is just so much easyier than glass. I have owned both I have also built both types.And im sold on aluminum boat.Do you remember the PHM hydrofoils Boeing built for the navy?? I worked on those

#187728 - 02/21/03 02:17 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
If you are really serious about chartering check out some of the vessels they have at fishermans terminal. Most of these were used in commercial fishing . They range from 20' to 80' with prices that are hard to beat.

I have seen several 30 and 40 footers with full galley and state rooms. along with many other feautures that would cost twice as much in a consumer boat. Equiped with Disel (cheaper then Gas) you can run it all day. prices starting any where from $ 20,000 to 40,000.

If you have the Lic to run a tug (Unlimited Ton / inland ?)then you should have no problems runing these. Isn't a 6 pack Lic. all you need for the chartering in the sound. Any way good luck. Worth a look.

#187729 - 02/21/03 02:44 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
DownRiggin, I am sure you know John K and Mark Abetz, from running into them at Narrows Marina. They are friends of mine from our Gig Harbor PSA and would be sure to give you some heads up on this question. If you are like most of us normal fisherpeople, you probably don't have a ton of money (or maybe you do) to purchase one of those elite vessels some of the guys suggested. I too have had a notion to do what you want to also, but with my 21.5 campion there are limiting factors, mostly with the seating capacity and room for the clients to get around. The thing that I like about my boat is that I can economicaly afford to tow and run this vessel with a single engine and a kicker. It does fine with my 135 Merc. and 8 hp fourstroke Yamaha. The kicker is set up with a TR-1 auto-pilot that as a charter would be like having a deck-hand with you to keep the boat straight , when you were checking the riggers and landing fish.
I would recommend at least a 24 foot vessel and insure that it has enough deck space and seating capability to comfortably seat your clients. After all, most of your clients here in Puget Sound will not be the fishing elitist types and may not be able to stand the weather, and sometimes long lulls between fish. Not that YOU could have a lull between fish LOL.
Take care and hurry back.....the summer fish are on their way.

Steve Ng

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#187730 - 02/21/03 09:19 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Current Drifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, WA King

#187731 - 02/21/03 09:30 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
Hey DR, Do you need a deck hand? I may be dropping my papers here real soon!

#187732 - 02/21/03 10:18 AM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

If I was going to run a Charter Boat in the Sound I wouldn't consider anything under 24' and with a deep vee hull. Most people going on charters want to catch fish but they also want comfort. So something with a hardtop for them to get out of the weather. We all know the grey days that happen. I would also buy a quality boat that doesn't require a ton of maintenance.
I guess my biggest question though is why you want to charter in Puget Sound. I have known a ton of charter skippers that have went out of business in the sound or moved to other more cash productive waters. Only a few can even make a partial living doing it anymore. Most of them have other jobs to supplement. The seasons are too unpredictable and catch rates limited. If money isn't an issue then more power to you. I can't think of a better place to be than a boat on the Sound.

#187733 - 02/21/03 12:28 PM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Most of the charter fleet in Sitka consists of SeaSports, Parkers and custom configured aluminum boats.

#187734 - 02/21/03 01:04 PM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
One of the best charter boats I have ever been on was a 24ft Sea Sport. That baby was smooth, very fishable and the skipper was able to handel the whole operation without deck hands.

#187735 - 02/21/03 04:25 PM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks for the responses...

I know it would be a rough go as far as income, but hell, I'll already have income, full medical and dental. On a side note, I am already working on a govenment contract for our military members. There's always a market for our men and women in uniform.

I'll need something for a few extra bucks and to keep me busy on the side. Might as well enjoy life while I can...

Downriggin'

#187736 - 02/21/03 06:50 PM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Downriggin--

After I retired last year, I became a charter consultant in my spare time. The way it works is I go out with different charters and for a nominal fee I rate them on how they performed that day. Extra high marks for getting me into a lot of fish that day, and poor report for being skunked, not enough snacks, etc.

Seeing as how you're just starting out, and a fellow vet to boot, I'll give you a special deal and let you take me on the first trip free of charge. Can't beat a deal like that, now can ya?

#187737 - 02/21/03 07:22 PM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Sounds like a good deal...

However, I just received an email about a charter lic... Appears that someone has to transfer or sell me one as the state is not issuing them any more (I thought it was for commercial purposes...) So guess I am in a little bind until someone wants to cough one up!

Downriggin'

#187738 - 02/21/03 08:07 PM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Expect to pay at least $15,000 for a six-pack license alone... most of the time, you'll need to buy the whole boat and business, like $100,000+ or so... the other option is to wait for a guide to pass away and then go talk to his widow.

-N.

#187739 - 02/21/03 10:39 PM Re: Your thoughts on a new boat for charter
Drifter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: AK
Coldwater Boats. The best in the business. I have owned one for three years and was the best purchase I ever made. They build them anyway you want. It is a two man operation and they only build about 6 or 7 boats a year so there is a waiting list. I have owned a 25 Parker and a 27 Grady White and these things dominate either one of those boats. Tehy will build anything from a 28' to 34'. Mine lies 30 X 10'10''. I had it built to be a full walk around. A foot and a half on either side of the cabin to get by. Completely flush deck. The cabin seats six and fishing six is no problem. Not trailerable but if you are chartering you dont want to have to triler your boat anyways. I got into mine for just under 100K rigged to the max. Cruises at 26.5 knots in just about any weather. 3 foot chop means nothing to this boat. Mine is powered with Yami 150's. The new ones they are doing are powered with 225 4 strokers.

They built Bristol Bay boats (All Points Marine) for over twenty years and were known to have one of the best boats up there. They are located in Marysville (Bruce (360) 653 - 4733). Every weld looks like a dime sitting on top of another.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |