LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189918 - 03/09/03 08:37 PM Vancouver Island, bankbound, June-August???
TheRogue Offline
Fry

Loc: Lafayette, OR
Don't often post here, but thought I'd ask this question a little closer to the area I'm looking for:

My neighbors are determined to go to Vancouver Island fishing this summer. Sometime between June 1 and middle of August, plan on spending a week there. They'll be driving up, and will be bank bound; might have the $$ for one charter trip. They're looking for suggestions of what to plan on, what to fish for, and what to bring for gear.

They do a lot of salmon and steelhead fishing down here on the Oregon Coast. They're not terribly mobile or athletic, but very persistent. Don't have a bunch of money to spend, but it's something they've always wanted to do.

Any information that someone could pass along would be fantastic, I (and they) would really appreciate it.

TR

#189919 - 03/09/03 10:39 PM Re: Vancouver Island, bankbound, June-August???
fishingking00 Offline
Parr

Loc: bellingham
Tofino has some really big kings that come close to shore in August. You could go after them in like a 17 or 18 foot boat. It's not like you're running 10 miles offshore. As an added bonus, Tofino is absolutely georgous. It's got a lot of very protected water inside...the silvers are so thick you can't even get your line down in some places. You might want to talk to a guy named Jay. I'd highly recommend using a guide the first day, you'll catch a lot more fish. Also, when we went, we rented a mobile home for like $250 for a week. Kind of a dump, but hey, we're kind of crusty fisherman, so it worked out. If you can find a place like that, you can save yourselves some money, and I even hooked up with a young canadian. Trip worked out well overall.
Jay's site is
www.steelheadsalmonhalibut.com
The secret rivers he talks about flying into are the Gold, Mejin, and Pretty Girl. Don't tell him I told you, he'll feel like all his secrets are compromised.
Fishingking00@hotmail.com

#189920 - 03/10/03 12:22 AM Re: Vancouver Island, bankbound, June-August???
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
I can't really say about the fishing, but a person better have their paper work together for re entry to the states. I came trough Customs just tonight and was pretty PISSED of towards the treatment I recieved by the US Customs people. I have never had to have a passport to get back from Canada, just a photo ID and sometimes a birth cert. This guy gave me the riot act before he let me through. beathead

#189921 - 03/10/03 02:08 AM Re: Vancouver Island, bankbound, June-August???
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
If were bankbound on the island and looking for fishing information, I would probably start by calling these guys.

http://www.riversportsman.com/

If you do happen to drag a boat along there are several do it yourself options available.

#189922 - 03/10/03 02:15 AM Re: Vancouver Island, bankbound, June-August???
DarinB Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville
Craig H,

You wouldn't have happened to be wearing a towel on your head or forgot to take it off when you left the hotel spa? banana

Good Fishing, DB

"There are two sides to every coin, but yet in still they are the same"
"Courtesy and deference are the oil of society. Be yourself since anonymity breeds obnoxiousness."

#189923 - 03/10/03 10:35 AM Re: Vancouver Island, bankbound, June-August???
rln Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: anywhere in B.C. sometimes wa...
If you are truly bank bound , go in mid to late august, stay on the east side of the island. This is a south coast pink salmon year and there will be great oppurtunities for both silvers, and oinks by casting lures off the beaches and you can also fish of the sportfishing peir in campbell river for a chance at kings.

#189924 - 03/10/03 01:39 PM Re: Vancouver Island, bankbound, June-August???
ribber blunter Offline
Alevin

Loc: Vancouver Island
Ya,the east side VI has good salt water fishing.It's an off year for East side VI pinks,but an on year for the mainland rivers.
For Tofino,ya,go mid summer and catch all the fish bound for your rivers anyway.They're mostly headed for the columbia and a few other rivers I would guess.Ribber out!

#189925 - 03/10/03 08:44 PM Re: Vancouver Island, bankbound, June-August???
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

Rogue - The selection is vast on WCVI that time of year. If they go in June the best bet would be the Tofino/Ucuelet area. The fishing at the offshore banks in June is incredible. You will have access to lots of kings from 15 to 30+ lbs and halibut galore. The bottomfishing in general is excellent. You will be fishing anywhere from 120' to 200' deep. Downriggers are the rule up here although people also jig. Anchovies, squid, spoons and plugs will all produce. By July and August the fish will move inshore but the action is as hot and furious. But the average fish will be larger. It's not uncommon at all to get 30 to 40lb fish. You can then fish anywhere on the west coast. Bamfield, Ucuelet, Tofino, Nootka and Esperanza are all excellent. There are lots of charters in all the areas mentioned. If going in their own boat then it better be seaworthy. The west coast can be nasty and you really need to pay attention to the weather, especially if your 8 to 15 miles offshore fishing. Here's a few links: http://www.sportfishing.bc.ca/ , http://www.anglingbc.com/
http://fishhotline.com/

They all have guides and general info. Good luck.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Banana Slama
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 915 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |