April 1, 2003

Columbia River spring chinook sport fishery modified

Action:

1. The mainstem Columbia River from the I-5 bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam will close to chinook, steelhead and shad angling beginning Sunday, April 6 until further notice.
2. Fishing for chinook from Buoy 10 upstream to the I-5 bridge will also close beginning Sunday, April 6. This area (downstream of the I-5 bridge) will re-open Wednesdays through Saturdays only of each week beginning Wednesday, April 9.

Effective date: April 6, 2003 until further notice.

Species affected: Spring chinook, steelhead, shad

Reason for action: The allowable ESA impacts of upriver-origin spring chinook allocated to the sport fishery is expected to be reached prior to mid-May without some restriction in the fishing season. The fishery has been harvesting a larger proportion of upriver spring chinook than was anticipated to date. The Management Agreement for spring chinook that was signed in 2001 allows for limited impacts to wild upriver spring chinook in non-Indian fisheries and the fishery will be managed to remain within the allowable impact rate for ESA wild spring chinook stocks.

Other information: During the Wednesday through Saturday weekly openings for spring chinook below the I-5 bridge, the salmon daily bag limit will continue to be 6 fish, no more than 2 adults and only chinook with a missing adipose fin may be retained. Minimum size of 12 inches. The trout (including hatchery steelhead) and shad regulations will remain unchanged below the I-5 bridge but close from the I-5 bridge to Bonneville Dam.

Information contact: (360) 696-6211. For latest information press *1010.