Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192981 - 04/03/03 03:52 PM Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Read this today, thought I'd share-

With all of this talk of war, many of us will encounter "Peace Activists" who will try and convince us that we must refrain from retaliating against the ones who terrorized us all on September 11, 2001, and those who support terror.

These activists may be alone or in a gathering.....most of us don't know how to react to them. When you come upon one of these people, or one of their rallies, here are the proper rules of etiquette

1. Listen politely while this person explains their views. Strike up a conversation if necessary and look very interested in their ideas. They will tell you how revenge is immoral, and that by attacking the people who did this to us, we will only bring on more violence. They will probably use many arguments, ranging from political to religious to humanitarian.

2. In the middle of their remarks, without any warning, punch them in the nose.

3. When the person gets up off of the ground, they will be very angry and they may try to hit you, so be careful.

4. Very quickly and calmly remind the person that violence only brings about more violence and remind them of their stand on this matter. Tell them if they are really committed to a nonviolent approach to undeserved attacks, they will turn the other cheek and negotiate a solution. Tell them they must lead by example if they really believe what they are saying.

5. Most of them will think for a moment and then agree that you are correct.

6. As soon as they do that, hit them again. Only this time hit them much harder. Square in the nose.

7. Repeat steps 2-5 until the desired results are obtained and the idiot realizes how stupid of an argument he/she is making.

My remarks-
If we take a passive approach towards terrorism, and those who support terror, it only gives them more time to figure out how to make our nose bloody again.

edit- I should add that I am in no way a violent person, and would not suggest this tactic be used on anyone, but it sure makes a good point.

what

#192982 - 04/03/03 04:09 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
rofl I like to shoot a flare gun at them. Tear gas always works too. shoot laugh laugh

#192983 - 04/03/03 04:16 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Great ideas!!! I'm goin out to look for some peace activists now!!! smile smile

#192984 - 04/03/03 04:17 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I have found that if you have an opposing point of view they get very angry.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#192985 - 04/03/03 05:08 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
they get very angry
Yeah, I've noticed both sides aren't very interested in what the other side has to say. Of course, if somebody socked me for excercising my First Amendment rights, I'd have to exercise my Second Amendment rights and leave a hole in them big enough tp pass a scud missile through.

My recommendation would be to ignore them. That way, they're sure not to bother you.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#192986 - 04/03/03 06:08 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
New thread idea:

War mongers and how to deal with them...

1) Turn the other cheek.

#192987 - 04/03/03 06:36 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
h2o, I will turn them both cheeks and tell them to kiss em!!!

"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who provides the freedom which allows the protester to burn the flag."!

#192988 - 04/04/03 01:02 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
So Sky guy and easy limit, freedom of speech is only a good thing if someones view is the same as yours? With all the tough talk , I doubt if either of you could lick a postage stamp.

#192989 - 04/04/03 01:39 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
If done correctly the first time steps 2 & 5 will not be necessary, then move on to the next,

#192990 - 04/04/03 01:59 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
Oh I dunno, I've met EasyLimits once, and i think he probably could lick a postage stamp! laugh laugh beer

#192992 - 04/04/03 03:13 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Not really sure that I am for the War but there is nothing more irritating then a peace activist blocking traffic. Say what you want, but interfere with my commute and I will run you over
Now of course that last statement was the way I fantasize about handling the situation
laugh
In reality it would just take me longer to get home laugh

#192993 - 04/04/03 04:56 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Using your first amendment right is ok if, you have a ****ing clue what you are talking about.

Most of the protesters are out there not because they are protesteing the war, but because protesting in the "cool" rolleyes thing to do. Just look at the W.T.O. riots and the bull**** that happened last May Day.

Granted there are some people who are standing up for what they believe in. Theses people are not the ones who are causing trouble and breaking any laws. I respect these people. The rest, well, they need reallity check up side the head. slap

#192994 - 04/04/03 08:11 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Redmond
Lets see, if I understand this thread, you are advocating violence against American citizens for having a different political view than yours. Sounds terribly familiar. Is this happening somewhere else in the world? Don't confuse liberals with pacifists. Some of us can and will defend ourselves and our family from self-righteous bully's.

#192995 - 04/04/03 09:23 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
LOL Antie M you slay me. laugh laugh laugh

#192996 - 04/04/03 09:43 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
I am with Steve on this one. Easy and I have fished together... It would have to be one brave stamp!

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#192997 - 04/05/03 03:09 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I kinda lean toward the double barreled flare gun idea.....or was that a tracer? huh shoot

#192998 - 04/05/03 09:23 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Doug P

People can protest all they want. Many of the protests I have seen on the news end up with a crowd purposely blocking a street or bridge with heavy traffic. That's bogus in my book

#192999 - 04/05/03 12:51 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
Ya I have frequently thought the same thing about anti abortionists blocking people from going about their LEGAL buisness. Id really like to go and introduce their teeth to their tonsils for impeding people.

#193000 - 04/05/03 01:03 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Lead Thrower
The thread was not a discussion of protesters blocking streets! Any unlawful act should not be tolerated. This has to do with violence against Americans. Easy is going to shoot flares and tear gas? I know it was all in fun, just a joke..............lost the humor when I heard the body count. I have family in the military and I support the troops, but quit pounding on your chests and dragging your knuckles.

#193001 - 04/05/03 01:09 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
I'd bet mpst of the so called peace Activists are pro-abortion. 40,000,000 American babies killed since 1975. No wonder Social Security is going broke.

#193002 - 04/05/03 10:40 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Quote:
Originally posted by Maguana:
I'd bet mpst of the so called peace Activists are pro-abortion. 40,000,000 American babies killed since 1975. No wonder Social Security is going broke.
Betcha a paycheck there's a whole bunch of God-fearing-Republicans out there that are pro-choice. Or does that make them God-hating-liberals because they don't agree with your theologic views.

And how does 40 million LESS people (many that probably would have been on welfare) negatively affect Social Security? Oh, unless you're strictly looking at a loss of revenue. There's a great worth to put on humanity.

I swear some of you singing the battle hymn of freedom only see freedom as necessary to agree with your views.

#193003 - 04/06/03 03:05 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
skydriftin

I would bet cha that most of these BB Chest beater's and Knuckle draggers are miggets with a big mouse. laugh

All you war mungers please wear a "I Hate Peace Protesters" buttons so that when I am on the water I can steer clear and avoid the potential of violence and ignorance that can spoil a good day of fishing. shocked

Didn't someone kill Dr. Martin Luther King because he was a peace protester? When he was advocating freedom and equality for all American's, there were those that wanted him dead then too. Strange how easy it is to forget. rolleyes He was advocating for the rights of a lot of American now fighting in Iraq... so many of you claim to support and love. rolleyes Just hope that other Great Americans such as him, won't have their lives shortened by such stupid and misguided assassins, while they are working for peace. beathead

When I see some of you with so much disdain for protesters.. it scares me.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#193004 - 04/06/03 06:16 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

People-

The point of my post was to bring up the fact that it appears most peace activists act as if blind to the fact that our government must act with aggression, in some cases, in order to react and suppress those who threaten the United States and our country's allies or interests.

How can these people think that every terrorist cell or militant group that hates the US can be dealt with peacefully?

Any one of these groups would jump at the chance to blow up a group of Americans, including a group of gathered peace activists, in support of their beliefs. People like this cannot be dealt with lightly.

I fully believe in our right to speak freely, and would support an activist's right to exercise that constitutional right, just as any other.

Skydriftin, there is a BIG difference between suppressing someone constitutional rights versus arguing that their heads are in the wrong place, and that they don't have a clue on how do deal with these groups of people.

#193005 - 04/06/03 08:34 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

I've been trying to stay out of this argument, but I thought I'd interject to point out that some people seem to think that just because others don't support the war effort means they're both anti-American and stupid.

I'd also like to point out that:

A - So far the Bush administration has _failed_ to link terrorist activity to Iraq. Whereas some of our 'allies' have aided Al Queda.

B - They have also _failed_ to find any evidence that Saddam has or was developing either chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons, or that they were any direct threat to the US whatsoever.

My opposition to the war stems from my cynacism on exactly why we are going to war with Iraq at this moment in time. Is Saddam a ******* who kills his own people? Yes. but there's lots like him in the world, and I don't see Bush mongering to go to war anyone else. Take North Korea, who is actually actively persuing nuclear weapons (and may have them already) and has the capability to launch them to the west coast via intercontinental missiles, AND has fired said missiles over Japan, which has the Japanese scared spitless to the point where they're actually starting to rebuild their own standing army. And they have CIA photographs of concentration camps and eyewitness testimony stating people are sent there to work until they die.

Why did Bush push us to war with Iraq? Why, to wag the dog by getting peoples' attention away from the rotten state of the economy at home, and finish the task dear old dad failed to mop up in the 90s. Do either of these reasons sound good enough to send American soldiers to die? I don't think so. This whole business is a waste of money and human life, and I'm betting that the US will be stuck with the cost of rebuilding Iraq once this is all over. I haven't gone out and marched in any street and blocked traffic or done anything else illegal. I don't blame soldiers for doing their job. It's their duty to carry out the orders that were handed to them. But I do blame the President for getting us into this mess to begin with. I sure as hell didn't vote for him, and I'm sure as hell not going to vote for him next time either. I'm personally hoping Bush Jr also follows his dad as a one term President.

Now can we get back to talking about fishing?

#193006 - 04/06/03 11:33 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Vic Offline
Spawner

ARklier

I don't have time to dig up the links now. There was a story on MSN the other day where they found traces of ricin and some other poisen at one of Saddams facilities. There was another story I think I saw it on the Drudge report where they had captures Al Queda fighters fighting with the Iraqis. Then there was that terrorist group that had camps and was funded by Saddam living in northern Iraq. The information is out there, if you are interested in finding it.

Sorry I wasn't able to elaborate more I am waiting for my ride to go fishin. When I get back I will see if I can dig up some links to these stories.

#193007 - 04/06/03 11:43 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Quote:
I am waiting for my ride to go fishin
Now, don't be thinking politics when you're out there fishing, Vic. wink

Good luck........

#193008 - 04/06/03 12:04 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Arklier

Hal-a- Lou-yah! evil Can't wait until the majority of voters are allowed to have a president that they elected and not one that's appointed. rolleyes Impeachment would be excellent but that is a long shot. It will be a Joyous day when we can cut our losses by watching him ride off into the sunset, side by side, with his pardoned Enron pal's and the tons of Oil & crime $ they preyed on us to get. He is a one termer all the way baby. hello

of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#193009 - 04/06/03 04:30 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Originally posted by Vic:
ARklier

I don't have time to dig up the links now. There was a story on MSN the other day where they found traces of ricin and some other poisen at one of Saddams facilities. There was another story I think I saw it on the Drudge report where they had captures Al Queda fighters fighting with the Iraqis. Then there was that terrorist group that had camps and was funded by Saddam living in northern Iraq. The information is out there, if you are interested in finding it.

Sorry I wasn't able to elaborate more I am waiting for my ride to go fishin. When I get back I will see if I can dig up some links to these stories.
You don't get much farther right than the Drudge report, so let's shine a little relativity and fairness to all that:

There may have been al Quedas fighting in Iraq, lately, but there's also been Jordanian, Sirian, Pakistani, etc. The point is that the Arab Nations are all joining in to fight against the invaders.

They didn't actually find any poison in that captured area. They found documents and evidence that it MAY have been manufactured years ago. There is no proof that any has existed recently.

Again there is no proof that Saddam was actively funding any terrorist camps in northern Iraq. For example, the fact that Timothy McVeigh lived in the US doesn't mean he was funded by our president.

#193010 - 04/06/03 08:18 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

JohnLee.....you black? You sure like to harp on the race issue.....is it pertenent? beathead

#193011 - 04/06/03 09:11 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Sky-Guy, nice " spin" on the point of your post. Sorry , the intent was to advocate violence against people that have different political views. You can edit, backup, do an end run, whatever, it is clear what you were trying to accomplish. It does give some credence to Darwin's theory of evolution

#193012 - 04/06/03 09:14 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Vic Offline
Spawner

#193013 - 04/06/03 10:06 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Vic,

Interesting comment in the Ricin story - "The territory of northern Iraq where the traces of ricin were detected is not under the control of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein."

In regards to the Salman Park article - There is some real possibilities here, I notice the dateline of 12:54PM PST today. One thing I have noticed in reporting on this war, there is such a rush to get the "scoop", that facts sometimes get lost. I would agree that this site, more than any other found to date, might prove the link between Sadaam and terrorists.

The last article you cite is talking about the same location spoken of in your first citation. The interesting thing here is that I would hardly call the World News Daily a paragon of journalistic standards. They seem to play pretty fast and loose when they feel they have the "goods" on some left-wing scandal or their closely held belief that the media is under the control of a liberal conspiracy.

My fervent hope, as a patriotic American and one firmly opposed to this war is that we do find Chemical Weapons and a verifiable link between Sadaam and Osama. I hope that we do this with the help of the United Nations so that we can convince the majority of the Arab people that we were right to take this action. My biggest fear and the biggest reason that I'm against this war is that we are providing the inspiration for a new generation of terrorists. And unfortunately, they do not need tens of thousands of recruits, they need maybe a thousand to truly increase their power.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#193014 - 04/06/03 10:39 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Vic Offline
Spawner

Eddie

There are several articles that parallel the World News Daily story. Do a search on Abu Wael and you will find a whole slug of them.

Certainly anyone opposed to the war would have to think that one of Saddam's former intelligence officers leading a terrorist group with ties to Al Queda is a little more than a coincidence.

#193015 - 04/06/03 11:02 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Vic,

Thanks for the links; good reading, all. However, I read all war reports with a bit of skepticism because I think a lot of the reporters have lost some of their objectivity after traveling with the US Forces the last two weeks. That's in addition to what Eddie said above about the rush to get the scoop. Plus there's a lot of words slipped in there that go unnoticed, like "may be," "may have," "we think," "suspect," etc. What's often missing is fact.

That being said, one could just as easily explain away all the equipment at the Salman Pak site as a typical military training base. They mentioned nothing that Ft. Lewis or McCord doesn't have. We also have some pretty intense chemical and biological training facilities in the US, also.

Personally, I don't put a lot of credence on the information gathered by exhiled Iraqis. I'm sure they'll tell you whatever you need to hear because they've got an ax to grind.

By the way, you catch any fish today?

#193016 - 04/06/03 11:11 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
skeeter Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Machias
The war in Iraq is strange to me. I never heard any real evidence Saddam had any part in 9/11. Aren't we after him because he supposedly has "WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION" hmm, now given the "how to deal with peace..." concept, shouldn't Iran be defending itself? That's the only country I'm aware of who has been the recipient of the preverbal punch in the nose from Iraq, right? Or are we the police men of the world? But Iran doesn't want us there on their behalf. But what about the Kurds and Kuwait? Kuwait is now a sovereign country again and the Kurdish people our of the same country as there attackers. You can make an argument we should be there to defend the Kurds, I wont argue that. So what is the right answer? I don't know. What I do know is this, Iraq didn't invade our country, they didn't attack any US embassy, or sink one of our ships or assassinate our leader. I believe it's simply an unjust war.

I'm a peace activist. The problem I have with this war and war in general (beside a fundamental problem with killing other humans) is that in never seems to solve the problem. Here is just one of many examples. Israel has now had 50 years of war because they were awarded a country as reparations for war atrocities. The atrocities were perpetrated by a country at war because they were going bankrupt trying to pay reparations for a war in which another countries prince was killed by a guy whose ancestors were murdered and raped in a war 200+ years earlier etc. I'll stop here but I could run it back a great deal further.
And the peace activist are silly idealist?

I believe 25 years ago this would have been a secret CIA lead rajime change. It wouldn't have dared been made public because the American public never would have supported it, not without 9/11 and the spin campaign from the White House. Now we have a supported, unjust war.

regards,
Skeeter

#193017 - 04/06/03 11:53 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Vic Offline
Spawner

Harley:

What would it take to convince you and the other anti's?

Went Sturgeon fishin today. We got skunked.

Skeeter:

First of all it was a war that gave all of us our freedom form a tyranical government. It was a war that ended slavery. A war stoped the senseless slaughter of millions of jews. Wars do solve things, the part you missed is that with every solution there is a whole new set of problems.

#193018 - 04/07/03 01:58 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Fun5acres

Only trying to illustrate that peaceful protest was a major vehicle for civil rights and justice for a whole group of people that contributed greatly before it's inception(civil rights bill) and still do to this very day. A large percentage of our military is represented by the people that those protesters( Martin Luther King and the peace movement) were advocating for. I am sure that they don't want you(pro war mungers) cheering them on as they risk their lives while you sit behind a key board and advocate violence toward people that exercise these same constitutional rights that have helped them to gain their freedom. mad

Would you want these people to serve our country and still not be allowed to vote? The reason that it change was because people took to the streets in protest . You can bet that in those days there were guys just like yourself that hated protesters and some that would go as far as taking their lives because of their hatred and ignorance. Some wore sheets and hoods and couldn't go to the internet to rally the forces. This was long before Cyber hate.

I hope that you can now understand why bring up civil rights or race is important in a discussion about peace protesting in today's America. Use to be in the news all the time in the 60's and 70's. This was my first experience with a peace movement and continued through college and Viet Nam. After some investigating and research I educated myself to what their message was. In time it started to make sense to me and a lot of others who initially had no idea what all the noise was about. I see that now there is a holiday named in the honor of this great man of peace( Dr. Martin Luther King). How soon we forget. rolleyes

To answer your question...believe it or not, there are whites that love what he stood for too! thumbs

fun5acres

Would I be correct in assuming that you are not black? confused laugh

of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#193019 - 04/07/03 10:47 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Vic,

I cannot be convinced that war is a good thing, but I agree it is a necessary thing at times. Right now I'm just not convinced this is the time.

If the US does indeed find credible, no doubt, objective evidence that Iraq was an imminent threat, then we are doing the right thing. However, all the evidence thus far has proven that we could have handled this better. A lot of people are pointing out that they've had 12 years to comply, yada yada yada. So what? So what if it took another 12? The entire time Iraq was under a microscope and couldn't fart without us hearing it. And imagine how far 80 BILLION dollars could have gone to beef up OUR borders instead of tear down Iraqs. That's not even considering the millions to keep the peace over there for the next few years; if we can. Look at Afganistan right now. We left a pretty big mess over there.

But if we can find some truely credible evidence, then this will be worth it. Evidently the 101st found a really suspicious site yesterday, and the labyrinth of tunnels in Bahgdad may just lead to the evidence. Let's hope so, so we can get on with re-building our foreign relations.

Found this a little later. It could be what we need, but it was a pretty fresh report without Command's verification:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. forces near Baghdad found a weapons cache of around 20 medium-range missiles equipped with potent chemical weapons, the U.S. news station National Public Radio reported on Monday.

NPR, which attributed the report to a top official with the 1st Marine Division, said the rockets, BM-21 missiles, were equipped with sarin and mustard gas and were "ready to fire." It quoted the source as saying new U.S. intelligence data showed the chemicals were "not just trace elements."

It said the cache was discovered by Marines with the 101st Airborne Division, which was following up behind the Army after it seized Baghdad's international airport.

U.S. Central Command headquarters in Qatar had no immediate comment.

The United States and Britain launched the war against Iraq (news - web sites) to rid the country of weapons of mass destruction. Iraq denies having such weapons.

#193020 - 04/07/03 01:46 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

I have mixed feelings on the war. I was under the impression we took action because we were 100% sure Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. If in fact he does, we know he's crazy enough to use them. If thats the case then I feel we did the right thing. That said, if these weapons don't exist(and so far it looks like they don't), then if I had a loved one that died for this cause, then war mongers like bush would find me hard to live with. As for liberating the Iraqi people goes, one American GIs life is worth more to me than the whole lot of them

#193021 - 04/07/03 01:57 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

Reuters
Monday, April 7, 2003; 10:25 AM

WMD found

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. forces near Baghdad found a weapons cache of around 20 medium-range missiles equipped with potent chemical weapons, the U.S. news station National Public Radio reported on Monday.

NPR, which attributed the report to a top official with the 1st Marine Division, said the rockets, BM-21 missiles, were equipped with sarin and mustard gas and were "ready to fire." It quoted the source as saying new U.S. intelligence data showed the chemicals were "not just trace elements."

It said the cache was discovered by Marines with the 101st Airborne Division, which was following up behind the Army after it seized Baghdad's international airport.

U.S. Central Command headquarters in Qatar had no immediate comment.

The United States and Britain launched the war against Iraq to rid the country of weapons of mass destruction. Iraq denies having such weapons.

Also:
Nerve agents detected in Iraq

#193022 - 04/07/03 04:10 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kapowsin, Wa
Here's a good read on peace activism. A little long, but it really good.

http://www.assyrianchristians.com/i_was_wrong_mar_26_03.htm

#193023 - 04/08/03 04:47 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
please refer to my $1,000 offer if anyone thinks they can outdebate (or even match me fact for fact on iraq) this anti-pre-emptive strike protestor. and for those that cant debate I will up the anti to $2,000 for any of you brainless conservatives that want to take a try at punching me. will one of you please put up atleat $500 and show me that you have the balls. if not than shut the hell up with your condoning violence against protestors. someone please .......your $500 to my $2,000. odds are in your favor

#193024 - 04/08/03 05:33 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
Chapped, you are a non-fishing stud bro. Do you ever have anything good to add to this FISHING BOARD? ALL you do is talk a lot a crappy. Telling people to shut the he!! up, throwing money around like the man. There has to be a better place for you to use your HUGE BRAIN AND BIG WALLET. Why waste your time and money on us "BRAINLESS CONSERVATIVES". Good luck where you end up, he!! I'll even buy you a beer for the trip. Have a great day.

#193025 - 04/08/03 06:17 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

There ya go FS75, well put...BTW we have to hook up soon and shoot some pool...talk about the next fishing trip.

Billy Bob, that was a great article, thanks for posting it.

#193026 - 04/08/03 06:38 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Come on Sky-Guy justify your post. Well, at least try an rationalize the advocating violence against people that disagree with your political views.

#193027 - 04/08/03 06:43 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

Of course ALL of the 'pro war' types take into consideration that they may be wrong as well... rolleyes

#193028 - 04/08/03 07:23 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Vic Offline
Spawner

I don't think that Skyguy was trying to advocate violence against the anti crowd as much as he was trying to show that not defending yourself against a bully only emboldens them.

Chappy what planet are you from anyway?

#193029 - 04/08/03 07:28 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
OK Chappy...

"I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America... and obey the orders of those appointed over me... so help me God."

Please make money order (not check) payable to:

SMC(SW) John Abbott
Navigation Department
USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70)
FPO AP 96629-2840

I'll donate half of the winnings to the 1st Annual Downriggin's Salmon Derby followed by
a party at Narrows Marina upon my return!

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#193030 - 04/08/03 07:30 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

If that's true Vic then he would be somehow trying to equate peace activists with bullies.... my guess is that he was making a joke and nothing more.

#193031 - 04/08/03 08:06 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Vic,
Which post did you read? The post was ill conceived and shows the depth of hatred the conservative" KVI" group has for anyone with differing points of view. Read the first few responses, I believe yours was one of them. True there might have been a hidden purpose, but look what he has accomplished. He needed to come forth and put an end to this, rather then allow it to go on to this point. Well I am going Springer fishing, and no I won't give anyone the GPS points, don't want to get shot by a flare gun or tear gas...........EZ now, he has a "black box" and he knows how to use it.

#193032 - 04/08/03 10:23 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Vic Offline
Spawner

Stlhdh20

Perhaps it was a joke and nothing more. The antiwar crowd has employed bully tactics but I wasn't trying to make that comparision. To me it illistrated that negotiation and turning the other cheak only works if you are dealing with someone who is willing to do the same.

Doug

I don't have a hatred for a differing point of view. Perhaps you are painting conservatives with that broad brush because you aren't as openminded or tollerant as you think you are.
I did think the original post was kind of funny, and profound at the same time. So I made a smart a$$ remark. I haven't gone out and beat up any anti war protesters (and neither has any one else here).

To say the the KVI/Protroop people hate opposing points of view is kind of stupid when the Protroop rallies have illustrated exactly the opposite. They been very respectful of the views of others and peaceful. Can't exactly say that about the anti-war "PEACE" protests can we now (if you want examples I would be happy to provide some). Kind of makes ya wonder who really hates an opposing point of view.

Good Luck spinger fishing.

#193033 - 04/08/03 10:53 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Dan S. Offline

Quote:
They been very respectful of the views of others and peaceful. Can't exactly say that about the anti-war "PEACE" protests can we now
Oh, I've seen plenty of boorish behavior at rallies from both sides. It gets me to wondering.........how do you protest for peace by acting violent.......and how do you support freedom and honor by acting in a dishonorable fashion?

It just doesn't make any sense.......

#193034 - 04/08/03 11:50 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

"how do you support freedom and honor by acting in a dishonorable fashion?"

The question of the day for the pro-war types. Name calling and marginalization seem to be their modus operandi, with a few notable exceptions, even on those taking a fairly moderate stance on the war.

For me the question each day has always been 'how can I be against the war and still show my support for the troops?"

I figure the best thing I can do is to continue to respectfully excersise the very freedoms which they are fighting to protect...we wouldn't want our returning soldiers to come home to a country less free than when they left, would we?

#193035 - 04/09/03 01:42 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Vic Offline
Spawner

Boorish behavior is one thing (sticks and stones may break my bones). Commiting acts of violence or vandalism is another all together. I have yet to read about a Pro troops rally turing violent. I have yet to hear about anyone being arrested at a pro troops rally for any reason. Yet that is a daily occurance for the anti crowd.

I won't argue that there has been name calling on both sides. Marginalizing... I might even be willing to conceed that as well. The anti-crowd has flat out lied to try and make their point. I heard some stupid reporter on NPR the other day trying to tell me that this is "a war against children". I would really like her so show me one area in Iraq where we have inteinionally targeted children.

One more thing then I am done with my rant for the night. I would like to know if the protestors in Oakland really thought they were supporting the troops by trying to deny them of supplies.

#193036 - 04/09/03 01:54 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
h20:

NEWS FLASH!! I don't think any of our troops would welcome your "support".

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#193037 - 04/09/03 02:30 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

grandpa-

The problem with news flashes is that they go strictly for the headline without delving into the meat of the story.

Your statement just proves that you know nothing about me.

Why don't you just go ahead and say it...you think my opposition to the war EXCLUDES me from being able to 'support the troops'.

Support your position with a credible argument and I will counter.

#193038 - 04/09/03 02:42 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

Vic-

People are going to hate this argument...so be it.

Taking the most radical example of peace activism and trying to use it a representative sample of all advocates for peace is exactly what I mean when I say 'marginalization'.

It would be equivalent to the ever popular argument made by chappy equating the patriotic, natiionalistic, aggressive Bush administration to the Hitler regime...the most radical example of ultra-conservatism....

...and we can all agree that is a bad comparison.

#193039 - 04/09/03 10:15 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
Well maybe there are some troops who would protest against the war and express hatred for the policies of America but I suspect they might be from Iraq or Syria.

As for me I am going fishing and leave this anti-war vs war monger BS to you guys......

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#193040 - 04/09/03 11:29 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

I thought so...

#193041 - 04/10/03 01:28 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I think that the pro-troop rally they had in the center of Baghdad this morning spoke volumes. 23 million people were given back their hope for a better future.

#193042 - 04/10/03 02:39 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Yes, but in my opinion the life of 1 American GI is worth more than the 23 million of them.

#193043 - 04/10/03 07:19 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Skydriftin......I doubt any of the GI's you refer to would agree.....and I suspect the ratio of people benefiting from each GI's sacrifice far exceeds numbers which are calculable.

beer

#193044 - 04/10/03 05:16 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Skydriftin, freeing 23 million people was just a by-product of disarming a dangerous kook. We needed to go in and "nip him at the bud" before we had another 9/11 or worse.

If the loss of 1 American G.I. is not accpetable for this cause, what cause do you think is acceptable for Americans to die for?

#193045 - 04/10/03 06:43 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

read my post at the top of the page

#193046 - 04/11/03 11:25 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

you right people... i am a bully for telling people that are advocating violence against other americans, that i will give them money to try. it just shows that the same people who advocate violence are usually tha last to back up what they say? and no i am not mistaking my wallet for my balls. I will donate the proceeds to a steelhead charity. and after i take your money, i might even give it to washington trout just to piss you off further . now is there any takers or just talkers?

anglin- you are right... sporties(in general) are the biggest bunch of talkers out there. i really see what you were saying in your last post.

ps. more than a 100 soldiers fighting in the gulf right now along with thousands of police officers are safer in their jobs right now due to the martial arts training that i have taught them! what have you rednecks taught them? beat up poachers if ya have to but going after the people in your country for simply disagreeing with you is basically doing the terrorists job for them. "walk softly but carry a big stick" well in america we carry a big stick.....we still need to learn to walk softly!

#193047 - 04/11/03 11:44 AM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Chappy,
Now there is a poll Id like to see.
Does a soldier feel safer with martial arts training or his M16???
I bet I could guess the answer to that one.

#193049 - 04/11/03 12:10 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

Nothing like a good intentional misspelling to liven up the conversation...eh?

#193050 - 04/11/03 12:13 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

duroboat-ask him when he loses his m16

aunty em- are you for real? you sound like a very angry and disturbed person. your right you getting soldiers druck is much more patriotic than my training them! what are you? a brothel or a human?

#193052 - 04/11/03 12:49 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Chappy-
Do you really intend for your posts to sound as bad as they do when we read them? Honestly, your posts make you sound like an a$$. I really doubt your anything close to this abrasive in person. You might even be a nice guy. I understand your passion for your ideas, but when you express them, your tone repels people from your side of an issue. We all have had pissy posts (myself included) but yours always have a negative, "I'll kick your A$$" spin on them. Theres really no place or need for that here.

#193053 - 04/11/03 12:52 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington

#193054 - 04/11/03 01:08 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

elk run- i understand what you are saying but why is negative and conservative "normal posts" and anything negative or positive from a liberal perspective "agitator" or "pissy" i was not the one saying they were going to beat up protestors. i just said where they could find one. too many out there mistake their wallet for their balls. All i did was call them on it. and like aunty em did you read right over the debate part? its pure hypocricy. I dont go arounfd fighting or mad or picking fights . all I have done is respond in kind to those who have! but I am the guilty one cuz im the one liberal not the thousand conservatives! why is it that you cant write anything from an environmental perspective or long term perspective without being attacked personally but people can spew venomouse anti anything good statements and its just another post. i am realizing that most of these board members are the exact problem that they blame the indians or govt or commercial guys for. if native killing, peace hating, river draining, clear cutting rednecks hate me than all the better. If they want to hurt protestors I would rather they get their energy out on me than some young kid or my mom or someone else that is anti-war. there are times that one needs to reduce themselves to the level of the conversation in order to make a point. dont blame me for sinking to that level. blame the level of conversation.

#193055 - 04/11/03 01:19 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Good Post Little Fish-

Chappy- No-one including myself wants to beat up protesters, so your comments are misguided. The intent of the post was to make a point, nothing more. Read a little more carefully next time.

#193057 - 04/11/03 02:58 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
h2o Offline
Carcass

AuntyM-

You are right, I usually do speak up when threats of physical harm arise, mostly because I think they are epitome of cyber-stupid.

In the context of this thread though I figure it made better sense just to let it go...they are doing an adequate job of exposing the stupidity of such statements without my help.

If one guys says 'punch 'em in the nose' and then says 'I was just joking' that kind of already starts the whole thing down the wrong road IMO, joking or not. It sets up the next guy to say "I'll punch you in the nose (insert appropriate icons) hahaha, I was joking too"...

On an interpersonal level, this whole thread is a mirror for American foreign policy.

Just like our friend 'T' Aunty, the chapster would do well to take all of this BB stuff less personally. Hehehehe....still working on that myself here and there. wink

#193058 - 04/11/03 03:17 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

very true h2o . i really dont take this as seriousely as people think. i am usually having a laugh when I write the radical stuff. I guess i am having a little "andy kaufman style fun" but my whole point is dont say stuff about beating up protestors from the safety of your keyboard if you dont really mean it. i am not really a rich a$$. that $2,000 is actually the entire sum of my bank account right now but i wanted to show that there are people like myself that walk sofly (yes I really do walk softly) and carry a big stick that will take you up on your offer. And I dont believe that anyone was truley kidding about punching protestors. its happening alot. of course, there are many protestors that are acting way out of line as well with painting cars and disrupting traffic.

#193059 - 04/11/03 03:33 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Chappy-
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I did read the debate part, and I still think you are being too assertive here. Its not a liberal conservative thing at all. I have heard some pretty good cases made by both sides of several issues on this board without it degenerating to threats.
I have heard many say that the US needs to not act as the police for the entire world, such is the case with you here. You dont need to draw the venom from others here in order to protect the weak. Its not that serious.
Again, I'm sure that you're a decent enough guy. You seem passionate about fishing and the environment. It is also a possibility that people are misreading the tone of your posts, as often happens with this type of communication. But, I'd venture a guess that if it doesn't tone down, you wont be posting here much longer. Later.

#193061 - 04/11/03 03:52 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

AuntyM,
If you are going to be the referee, at least call the game with some semblance of fairness. You missed the first three or four fouls. Vic admitted he was being a smart ___. Where are the rest of them? Read the first few responses. If you lean too far to the starboard, you will get all wet.

#193062 - 04/11/03 04:09 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

aunty im trying to find some common ground here and you are continuing with insults and personal attacks.
elkrun- why should i get kicked off when so many are writing so much more forcefull, aggressive, assertive comments than I. the only difference I see is that those are coming from the conservative perspective. people e-mail me all the time and tell me that i am going to get kicked off. I hope they dont kick me off but i think that would only be censorship if they do and will only serve to limit the scope of diversity and strength in the fishing communtity. disagreement fuels learning. remember hitler tried to create a society where everyone thought the same . so did sadamm. no dissenting opinion in iraq was allowed. is this board going to be built to look like america , with all sorts of views ...or iraq? I am passionate about what i believe in and one thing I have learned is that unpassionate people dont do anything. both ghandi and martin luther king were thought of as very angry, passionate people when they were in their respective movements. now they are known as champions of peace. George
Washington didnt cross the delaware out of happiness. like I said. I am sure that i get misinterpretted (i do type a lil fast sometimes and forget to correct stuff) but i am not raging or unhappy when i write that stuff. If you go back thru my posts, i think they would only be over the top to people who have made personal attacks against me or against other americans for protesting. If I am wrong in that than i would say it was misinterpretation or maybe i had too much coffe that day. the fact is I dont feel like writing post in response to everything i agree with , I end up writing them about things i disagree with. but we all agree on so much that it seems like preachin to the choir to only discuss what we all agree on. where we will learn and grow stronger as a fishing community is by discussing our disagreements. and I would like to discuss disagreements without being personally attacked every time I do.

#193063 - 04/11/03 04:13 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Sky-Guy,

Just think how much more server disk space and access bandwidth, Bob would have for this site if you hadn't started this topic in the first place. rolleyes beathead

It was CLEARLY volatile, and inflammatory, and has served NO useful purpose that I can ascertain! (except to arouse AuntyM's ire! :p You go girl! wink laugh )

Where's David Jackson and the dead horse when you need him! laugh laugh

Might I suggest that next time, a lighter philosophical discussion may be in order. Creationism vs. Evolution perhaps... wink

#193064 - 04/11/03 04:17 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Chappy,
I was talking about the real world not TV ,movie, or fantasy land. I dont think to many soldiers lose there weapons And if they did I dont think the enemy would drop there AK-47's to fight hand to hand. Try to remember that this is not the karate kid or kung fool grasshopper. WAX ON WAX OFF

#193066 - 04/11/03 04:24 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

why do the soldiers get that training then? do you know better than the generals now too? trust me when your rifle jams, you want every back up system you have. doesnt this just show the level that you guy drop to to try and find fault with me? write the pentagon if you dont like the training. what do airforce pilots need boots for? they are up in planes arent they? come on! lets keep this on a real level

#193067 - 04/11/03 04:28 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

where was the threat aunty? look up the word in the dictionary! the only person being threatening is you with your gun comments. when you get done with the word threat. look up the word "invitation"

#193068 - 04/11/03 04:41 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Doug P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

4salt,
Tried that evolution slant early on without much luck. I am having a bad week that way. Fished the Wind River area for ten hours yesterday. Dragging that Mag Wart through all those boats, nothing, not even a bump. Some times the fishing is a lot better than the catching.

#193069 - 04/11/03 04:46 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Stick with it Doug. Traditionally the Wind river mouth fishery peaks at the end of April - early May. Then, if your so inclined, and have sturdy hiking legs, you can fish the canyon stretch a few weeks later.

Good luck! smile

#193070 - 04/11/03 04:50 PM Re: Peace Activists, how to deal with them
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

4-Salt

There is so much more for you to show me. I have hiking legs. laugh

Can't wait for next week wink

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1427 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |