Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194023 - 04/14/03 04:11 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Launched yesterday from Kenmore to water test, take a cruise and fish a bit.
The fishing report? It was one of those days where you say " oh, we saw bald eagles!" No fish.
We trolled from St. Edward SP down to Juanita/Point Holmes.
Was nice to get out and drink a cold one though and enjoy the day.

#194024 - 04/14/03 04:54 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Jeff,

I think your fish was an outgoing steelhead.

#194025 - 04/14/03 05:38 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
Another view of my fish. You can clearly see the red slash below the gill plate.

#194026 - 04/14/03 05:59 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
NICE cuttie! Do you use anything in front of your spoon?

#194027 - 04/14/03 06:03 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Just the spoon. I am stacking (2) spoons per downrigger. I also released about 6 other smaller ones, up to 16 inches. Most of those were caught over in Juanity Bay. Nice change of pace from the sound.

#194028 - 04/14/03 06:37 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Sounds like good fishin' to me. thumbs

#194029 - 04/15/03 02:03 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
many say that the windy side of the two bridges out produce the calm side

#194030 - 04/16/03 11:16 AM Re: Lake Washington basics
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

test avatar

#194031 - 04/16/03 02:26 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Sullie Offline
Spawner

there is a launch at kirkland and there is one right across the lake. cant remember the name. and there is one at the mouth of the slou.

#194032 - 04/16/03 09:29 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Rockhopper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Hmmm the upper part of the tail looks fairly ragged. I notice the adipose is intact. Wonder how that happened to the fish's tail.
Did you do a stomach analysis? Just curious as to how these cutts get to this size.

#194033 - 04/16/03 10:36 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
bri24 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton, WA
Went out on the lake today with not even one bump, seen a few boat's out there with a net in the water every now and then. We seen one that probably went 5lbs get netted. Fished at the southwest end of mercer island. Marked alot of fish on the finder but no hit's. Think I will try it again sunday morn. thumbs Work just called said there is really nothing going on tomorrow so it look's like I will hit it again.

#194034 - 04/17/03 01:25 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

that fish's stomach was pretty empty. No wonder he was hungry.... Based on the colorations, I was speculating that this fish may have spawned recently. Whether he was a sea run on his way out, I have no idea....

#194035 - 04/17/03 02:49 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Spawner

I've caught sea-runs in the Sammamish slough years ago.

My guess is your cutt is a spawner based on the shredded tail. Whether it's a sea-run or not is open to debate. I don't think there were many lake living cutts years ago when I caught sea-runs in the slough. I think resident cutts have really come on since those days.

#194036 - 04/17/03 05:09 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
budnate Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell wa
Generally dont preach, but fish barbless and put'em back boys, This fishery was out of this world back in the early 90's but has declined big time Since, Bottom line to many people Bonking them, fish'em enjoy them but for Gods sake release them along side the Boat. Mark my words you wont do much catching in the near futore if everyone stays at the present pace on the Fishery!!

Bud.

#194037 - 04/17/03 06:51 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I will have to disagree with you on this one Budnate.

Lake WA is one of the most under-fished lakes in the state. Lake WA is a tough fishery which I think scares most people away. I have more fishless trips on the big lake than trips where I catch fish. Of all the times I have fished Lake WA for trout I maybe see two or three other boats out there (except for sockeye season of course).

#194038 - 04/17/03 07:42 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Spawner

The words in the one paper were "this (the cutthroat) is a growing fishery". Budnate may be talking of the rainbows... but those are stocked, and were stocked in previous years. This is where the Donaldson trout got it's beginnings.

#194039 - 04/18/03 12:35 AM Re: Lake Washington basics
budnate Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell wa
NOPE, Talking about the Cutt's, this time of year you will pick up quite a few coming off of spawn, Mostly what i am talking about is Oct / Nov when i see allott of new faces on the lake bonking spawners!! Fact is they can be tough to catch, but are vunerable that time of year and are concentrated in the usual areas. The BS about the numbers are up is just that, I wont mention any spots but one that is pretty Much totally messed up from what it was, Juanita used to produce 15 fish days and I am talking 18" to 21" Chunky fish that would rip line and jump like a crazed Coho, I know see boats there almost everyday during week and on weekends it looks like the Bubble with people pounding it, I hit once in while to see how it is and am lucky to pick up a fish or two, and generally are dinks. Like i said earlier I dont preach to people but I have seen this fishery run into the toilet before my eyes, it sucks!!. It used to a world class thing to exsperiance. I would like to see it closed from Oct till May then have at'em on the riggers out by the bridge or a few other spots.

Tight lines guys, Bud.

#194040 - 04/22/03 10:49 AM Re: Lake Washington basics
driftinforchrome Offline
Parr

Does any body know anything about the 12 Inch and above perch and were to look?

#194041 - 04/22/03 02:44 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
DFC, if you get a depth chart of LW there is a underwater point about 1000 meters southeast of Luther Burbank park on Mercer Island. I am told that this is a great spot to catch monster perch.

go to topozone.com if you need a chart.

Also straight off of Barnabie point just south of that location there is a good spot about 300 meters offshore. IF you look at the Topozone map, the spot is right under the "e" in Barnabie.

I used to fish from the dock at Enatai beach park for perch when I was a kid and did well there too.

#194042 - 04/22/03 05:23 PM Re: Lake Washington basics
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
The Lake WA cutthroat fishery "used to" be one of the best things going since the invention of the Flatfish, but.....it ain't no more! Fishless days more often than not? Never used to be the case. I was fortunate enough to have some excellent teachers (thanks, Cigar wink ) but that was 15ish years ago and the fishing was truly excellent. There used to be a close-knit circle of cutthroat fisherman in the North end of the lake who really knew their stuff. You could always tell who was a newcomer becuase they caught a few small ones and/or nothing. The pros released 90+% of what they caught rarely keeping the big ones and bonking rainbows for the table.

The lake may be a huge lake making it seem as though there is not much angling pressure, but like Budnate said, the fish are vulnerable in a few areas where they are concentrated before and after they spawn in the little tribs. Spring and early summer is a great time to catch hungry post-spawn fish such as the one pictured by Jeff. Notice the tail is all "chewed up" which is caused by digging reds. Rememer folks, that cutthroat are trout and just like steelhead they will spawn in late winter and all through the spring. They are feeding on anything and everything that they can catch when they get back to the lake so they can regenerate muscle and tissue that was lost from overwintering in the creeks before they spawn.

My buddy lives on a local Lake Wa tributary and there are some giant cutts spawning around the vicinity of his property. Neat to watch them in there, but remember that they are snakes when they get back to the lake and they need to regenerate. No different that targeting downstream steelhead which much like the post-spawn cutties will have pale white meat and are completely worthless as table fare (compared to a pre-spawn fish). Put 'em back, please folks, at least keep the rainbows which are stocked fairly heavily. If you do choose to keep the cutties, than that is your right, but don't come crying to me in 10 years when there ain't no fish left! Trust me, with all the hype it won't be long! frown

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 982 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |