Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194063 - 04/13/03 04:28 PM Re: Snagging Or not, you be the judge
Christof Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Idaho
Well, I have to agree that most fisherman do not believe in keeping a foul hooked fish.... BUT... After seeing all the fish that are raped from the rivers by the tribes and sold as fish meal or cat food for pennies a pound, it does not hurt my feelings at all to keep the occasional foul hooked fish for dinner or see someone else doing it. Now puposely rigging to snag is a different story. These guys are such poor fisherman that it seems to be the only way they can catch a fish and they should be banned from fishing all together........

#194064 - 04/14/03 12:04 AM Re: Snagging Or not, you be the judge
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Hi, all...

Just to make it clear, since there seems to be some confusion on the rules in this thread...

There are two confusing aspects to this thread...one, snagging, or attempting to snag, fish is one activity, and keeping a fish that has not been hooked in the mouth after a fish has voluntarily taken the lure or bait into its mouth.

To clear one confusion, they are indeed different things. You can be guilty of "snagging" without actually hooking a fish. Snagging is actually hooking or attempting to hook a fish somewhere other than voluntarily (by the fish) in the mouth. You don't have to actually stick one in the butt on purpose...just trying to is illegal.

This clear violation does indeed require intent. You must be trying to foul hook a fish.

The other is keeping a foul hooked fish. This also is illegal, whether you meant to foul hook it or not.

Micro, and Arklier, in the situation you described, you would not be guilty of snagging, as that would require intent. You would, however, be guilty of keeping a foul hooked fish, which is just as illegal, albeit a different violation. Just because you didn't intentionally snag it does not make it a legally hooked fish.

Here's another confusing aspect of it, though...in either situation, you'll get a ticket for "snagging", since they call both violations by the same name. Actually, I think they'd call one "snagging", and the other "keeping a snagged (or foul-hooked) fish.

Christof, while I can appreciate your frustration with tribal fishers, snaggers, and other types of sportfishing slobs, it's still illegal to keep a foul hooked fish. I wish that there was better enforcement and stiffer penalties for that kind of stuff, too.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#194065 - 04/14/03 12:37 AM Re: Snagging Or not, you be the judge
STIHLHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
The other is keeping a foul hooked fish. This also is illegal, whether you meant to foul hook it or not.
Todd,
I assume you are talking about fresh water. As I said in my first post, the salt water rules are different.

#194066 - 04/14/03 07:45 AM Re: Snagging Or not, you be the judge
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Then there is the whole seperate issue of leader draggin and playing "mouth hockey" with fish. A common occurence in the Midwest. Saw tons of it this weekend. Lot's of rivers with gravel that fish are either coming up on to spawn or passing through. Spot a fish, and whip the water to a froth like herd of flailing sea donkeys. Similar to the crocs in Africa waiting for the wildebeest migration. Had enough of it by Sunday morning and decided to head home. Will post a pic or two as soon as I figure out how to get it done.

#194067 - 04/14/03 07:47 AM Re: Snagging Or not, you be the judge
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Then there is the whole seperate issue of leader draggin and playing "mouth hockey" with fish. A common occurence in the Midwest. Saw tons of it this weekend. Lot's of rivers with gravel that fish are either coming up on to spawn or passing through. Spot a fish, and whip the water to a froth like herd of flailing sea donkeys. Similar to the crocs in Africa waiting for the wildebeest migration. Had enough of it by Sunday morning and decided to head home. Will post a pic or two as soon as I figure out how to get it done.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |