Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195265 - 04/25/03 12:39 AM ZZingers, buzzbombs & grimreapers
Wernergonefishin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis Wa
Im looking for a little help on jigging for salmon. How, when and what ? Im headed to Chinookcove lodge Bc in june and the owner said they catch a lot of fish jigging with zzingers,buzzbombz,stingsildas and grimreapers. Can anyone explain how to fish these also maybe what size and color I should use. Or if you have fished this area for salmon,halibut and lingcod you could tell me what worked best for you. Thank you beathead

#195266 - 04/25/03 01:52 AM Re: ZZingers, buzzbombs & grimreapers
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Werner, jigging (real jigging, no bobbers allowed) can be an awesome technique to catch salmon, but unless I'm marking alot of fish and or bait, I don't make it my first choice, if there is bait around and you have the technique down, you will smoke trollers and hold your own with moochers.
As for technique, 1st, I use a 71/2ft. 1pc. rod, its a custom made rod very similar to a Lami Puget Jigger, with a Penn Mag 10 reel (direct drive) so I can drop the jig quick if I miss a strike. 2nd, I like to lift the rod about 5-6ft fairly quickly then drop the tip just fast enough to let slack in the line so that the jig flutters as it drops, the drop/flutter is when most strikes occur. 3rd, get rid of all trebles and go with a good quality siwash. Last, for kings If I had to pick 1 jig it would be a green and white Pt. Wilson Dart, the bigger the better, for bottomfish, any jig as long as its white.
As for the resort owner recommendation of jigs, keep in mind if fish and or bait is present you'll do fine with the jigs, if things are slow or spotty have herring on hand. Back in 89 my dad and uncle and I went to fish Ucluelet (Canadian Princess resort) the only thing they supply are jigs (only 1 choice of jigs at that) we brought our own herring and the 3 of us probably caught at least half of the boat limit. Hope this helps a little, good luck.

#195267 - 04/25/03 02:45 AM Re: ZZingers, buzzbombs & grimreapers
WaderBurps Offline
Parr

Loc: Everett, WA

#195268 - 04/25/03 12:32 PM Re: ZZingers, buzzbombs & grimreapers
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I forgot to mention on my earlier post, I always try to keep my jig just below the schools of baitfish, the action of the jig imitates wounded baitfish and the salmon like to pick off the easy ones that are dropping out of the bait balls.
Oh yeah, when your bringing your jig to the surface, watch for salmon to follow your jig, don't bring the jig out of the water till your sure its not being followed, if it is being chased, put your reel in free spool and let the jig go, it probably won't get 10 or 15 ft. without getting hammered, I've caught alot of fish that I saw chasing my jig just by free-spooling the reel, try it-it works.

#195269 - 04/25/03 02:22 PM Re: ZZingers, buzzbombs & grimreapers
rcl187 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sedro-Woolley, Wa
I've had the best luck with either pearl/blue or pearl/green buzz bombs for silvers and chinook or pink for humpy. For pt. wilson darts and stuff I've done well on a variety of colors. White is pretty good and so is pink/blue. I've caught alot of rockfish and chicken size halibut on the darts but only on silver/dark green ones. If you want to pick up a halibut or other bottomfish let it hit the bottom on EVERY drop. As long as it's not too rocky you won't lose very many jigs. Most of the fish swim over the lure and look down at it (to eat it) as soon as it hits the bottom and then when you pull up it smacks them right in the face. A lot will be hooked in the bottom of the jaw but I figure they were attracted to it anyways so it's not really snagging. It's especially effective when your using 6+ ounce jigs with large hooks and big bodies that the smaller halibut and rockfish have troubles swallowing.
take off your pants and jacket

#195270 - 04/25/03 02:56 PM Re: ZZingers, buzzbombs & grimreapers
FISHEN1 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Tacoma
Thanks for the post and the information guys. I've wanted to start jigging more. I'm kind of a rookie and generally troll. I tried my luck jigging a few times last summer but after donating 5 darts to the bottom structure of Puget Sound I called it quits. I'll be giving it another go this summer. I'll post it if I have any results.

#195271 - 04/25/03 08:14 PM Re: ZZingers, buzzbombs & grimreapers
Wernergonefishin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis Wa
Thanks to everyone for your info. I will let you all know how I did. fishy

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1428 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |