Three Rivers Marine

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196678 - 05/14/03 07:31 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Yes I am saying that. Show me some data of where there were large numbers of wolves up until 1996 when the cougar numbers began climbing. I guess in your world that would be when the wolves just up and dissappeared. Probably U.F.O.s came down and took them all away from our state to try and do a reintroduction on Pluto. I tell you if I was a stoner I'd be your best friend.

#196679 - 05/14/03 07:44 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glowball,

If he could just show us something.. I think he must still be working on the bunk tea overdose from earlier...

#196680 - 05/14/03 08:23 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by chappy:
hey globall ---are you saying that wolves did not prey upon cougars? the misinformation on our wildlife is incredible. sorry pal the wolves curbed the cougar population and the bear population.

hey bear man ric- is it hard to type without opposable thumbs

hey driftboater---man are you a crybaby when it comes to the voters of washington. if you dont like how we vote... get out of our state!!!!
Sigh... I thought this topic was done, but...

Wolves do not, ever, prey on cougars or bears. They will opportunistically kill cougar cubs if they come upon them, but not for food, just the elemination of a competitor. Its nearly impossible for bear cubs to be killed by wolves since they are never out of the sight of their mothers.

Predators control eachothers populations through competition. Since they all eat from the same food bowl (other than black bears who are not primarily eaters of big game), the number of predators will drop according to how many prey animals are available. Or individuals will simply expand their territories to fill their bellies.

Since wolves require expansive territories in which to roam, in most areas they would be a liability and cause more issues than the cougars.

Lastly, Chappy... Could you please try to make your points without name calling? They really only make you look bad.

#196681 - 05/15/03 12:36 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Let the cougar live. Heck, lets put more cougers in the area to keep people from fishing the area. I'm not scared of a cougar so I openly welcome fishing right next to them. At the same time, we should ban people from carrying guns on the river. I wonder how many "fishermen" would still be hardcore fishing?

Matt

#196682 - 05/15/03 01:35 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Kaari, I agree with that name calling bit! Only look at your own people as well... Get driftboater to show some intelligence as well!

I actually JUST got back from the Washington Carnivores meeting today. Kaari is dead right. Wolves do NOT attack cougars, dogs, or bears for food. They attack them only for territorial reasons.

Chappy, I'd like to see some wolves to. There ARE wolves in Washington, just as there ARE grizzly bears in Washington. You just have to look for them I guess. But lower level name calling and using hardly any real evidence in your posts doesnt help our cause, or find a solution to allow wolves into the ecosystem. Not to say driftboater is any better man, I'm just saying if you want to prove them wrong, have some class yo! laugh

Curtis

#196683 - 05/15/03 02:13 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
bearmanric Offline
Parr

Loc: olympia wash.
Chappy. Since You Like Wolve's So Much. Guess Who My Neighbor is Wolfhavin Inc. You Should Come Down This Weekend. They Have Two Red Wolve's. it's Only $35.00 too See Them . " BITE ME " Rick

#196684 - 05/15/03 03:37 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
Quote:
Originally posted by chappy:
hey globall ---are you saying that wolves did not prey upon cougars? the misinformation on our wildlife is incredible. sorry pal the wolves curbed the cougar population and the bear population.
Ladies and gentlemen, I've provided you with exhibit A in my argument that wildlife management decisions should be handled by biologists, not voters who know nothing about wildlife.

#196685 - 05/15/03 09:56 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Amen stilly. thumbs

I get a kick out of people that cary side arms under the pretense that they have them to protect them from cougar attack.If a cougar decides it is going to protect there territory and attack you,chances are you would accidentally shoot your self trying to get the weapon out in defense.I have ran into several over the years and have had one stalk me,even growling at me from within the cover of the woods.Not in any of these situations would a gun been any good.We should be very greatful that cougs do not eat people!

Chappy,
I do have to laugh at your attempts to understand mother nature.I will say this though,cougs do not like dogs.My lab,and blue healer flushed a gigantic coug on the upper south fork of the skoke.This animal was making over twenty foot strides running from my girls.When it got to the trees on the edge of the river flat,it did not stay on the ground but entered the woods leaping through the trees.Kind of like a 250 lb pin ball.It left me shaking like a leaf and in total awe.I could put my hands inside of its prints with lots of room to spare.That animal could of kiled my girls without trying but instead chose to hit the hills.

#196686 - 05/15/03 10:44 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy:
Get driftboater to show some intelligence as well!

Not to say driftboater is any better man,
Curtis
Ahh shucks Curtis do you have some unresolved resentments towards me? or did some of Enumclaw's finest start paying a little more attention to ya wink

Didnt we go through this on another thread in the hunting forum? My attempt to write in Enumclaw ebonic for you didnt work? I was hopeing that may help you to comprehend things a little bit better.
I'll keep trying but I fear you have been taking to many sips on ol' Chappys rotten tea jug.

Hang in there Curtis, there still may be hope for ya!

#196687 - 05/15/03 06:57 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
racerdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: longview
Quote:
I get a kick out of people that cary side arms under the pretense that they have them to protect them from cougar attack.If a cougar decides it is going to protect there territory and attack you,chances are you would accidentally shoot your self trying to get the weapon out in defense
I personally know a guy who was laying down and glassing a canyon for elk near Randle. He sensed something behind him and saw a cougar 10-15 yards away crouched and ready to pounce him. He calmly swung his rifle on him and plugged him dead. So every scenario is different and i would take my chances with a firearm and a knife.

#196688 - 05/15/03 09:24 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
ItiLceo:
mad
Get off on your anti gun kick some where else.
Or get your local Bremalow off your face so you can
Get some O2 and think strait. What is your Problem with packing?
Did you piss off the wrong person and get to meet one? (A gun that is) beathead

#196689 - 05/15/03 11:51 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

axia spansa or whatever.

I doubt you would say that too my face and would be willing to find out what

computer tough guys crack me up,I really love the ones that are afraid to fill out there bios. :p

I am the farthest thing from anti gun as you will ever meet.I love to shoot and never said there was anything wrong with packing.I have though encountered 5 cougs up close and can't help ut walk away with the feeling that even if I was packing it would of done me little good thats all.

thumbs hers one for you

#196690 - 05/16/03 12:05 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Racer dan
I am glad he was able to feel the cat behind him,and had his weapon ready it may of saved his life!! cool

I believe that most fishermen packing a gun,would find it a little more complicated to get to there weapon.I walked up on the last cat and was not twenty feet away from her.As we stared at eachother deciding what to do i was trying to get my camera out of a vest pocket and couldn't before she bolted.I have pics on my puter of her claw prints in the sand,where she wheeled and made off,but no pics of her.She has a kitten now at least she did last fall by the prints I saw in the same spot.

My encounters have happened in pretty dense country that that is more to there advantage than mine.

#196691 - 05/16/03 12:49 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
iticleo:
Aix sponsa: Wood Duck

jimwright_1@netzero
I'll Meet ya Were?
but I dont think BOB
Would care for us doing this on his bord.
so Email me Sorry Bob But not turnin this down.

#196692 - 05/16/03 12:57 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
racerdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: longview
Quote:
I am glad he was able to feel the cat behind him,and had his weapon ready it may of saved his life!!
I doubt it. He was just glad hed gotten a cougar.Besides, when was the last time a cougar has killed a full grown adult male in the state of Washington?

#196693 - 05/16/03 07:34 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Like I said,we should be glad that cougars do not eat people!!

When I was a kid I worked at a bourding ranch for horses over in the Nile comunity outside of Natches.Got a call around midnight saying that the horses were going nuts in one of the three padocks on the ranch.I hopped in the van and raced down there with only a flashlight,we still had no power in that barn which also was used to store alfafa during the winter.I got there and sure enough the horses were going nuts.I went walking in trying to figure out what the f###,when from atop the hay loft come the MEOW of my life time.I froze as all the hair on my body stood straight up!I never saw it but heard it making its way up the hill.

#196694 - 05/16/03 10:38 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
golfer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Issaquah
but I dont think BOB would care for us doing this on his bord. so Email me Sorry Bob But not turnin this down

Where is Judge Judy when you really need her?

#196695 - 05/16/03 12:03 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
steel_fish Offline
Fry

Loc: Arlington
Enough Cougar talk...hows the Kalama fishin??

smile

If there were no chickens...what would everything taste like?

#196696 - 05/16/03 12:36 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Maybe at the next big fishin we could rent a couple of those sumo outfits and let some of these folks work some of this stuff out hello hello moose

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#196697 - 05/16/03 01:40 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
sumo outfits laugh

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (NOFISH, 1 invisible), 416 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645370 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |