Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196718 - 05/19/03 12:51 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hounds are loosed on cougars
BBVD,, can you hear me now?

I can give you article after article about the COUGAR problems.. and how ironic they seem to be after 1996,,,,,dah!

===============================
John Craig
Spokesman-Review
March 8, 2003

Hound hunters are looking for troublesome cougars this week in Stevens, Ferry and Okanogan counties as state officials respond to county-declared ""cougar emergencies."

The counties are working with state Sen. Bob Morton, R-Orient, to increase pressure on state officials to heed rural residents' safety and economic concerns about cougars.

Commissioners took their cougar concerns to state Fish and Wildlife Director Jeff Koenings a week ago Friday in Morton's Olympia office. Koenings directed his staff to issue permits this week that allow hound hunters to kill 14 cougars in ""hot spots" the commissioners identified.

The hunting was under way by midweek, but no cats had been reported killed by Friday. The hunting may continue until next Saturday under the special permits.

Stevens County Commissioner Tony Delgado and Ferry County Commissioner Mike Blankenship said they aren't optimistic the special hunts will succeed because lack of snow and moisture makes tracking difficult. But Blankenship said he appreciates the Fish and Wildlife Department's quick response.

""I think the department did make a good-faith effort to help us, and I respect them for that," Blankenship said.

He urged residents to respond by reporting cougar sightings and incidents so state officials ""have a better handle on the numbers and where to go." Routine houndhunting permits, designed to keep cougar populations in check, are issued on the basis of citizen reports.

The permits issued this week are the kind usually reserved for situations in which a cougar has just threatened or attacked people or domestic animals. In this case, the permits were issued on ""general public safety threats" identified by county officials, according to John Andrews, Eastern Region director for the Department of Fish and Wildlife.

""We will be working very hard in those areas that they have identified," Andrews said.

He said the hunting will be more difficult because the hunters don't know exactly where to start their hounds, as they would if a homeowner had just seen a cougar in his or her back yard. Although the permits expire March 15, Andrews said more will be issued as new threats are identified by homeowners.

Permits for 10 cougars were issued this week in Okanogan County, where three cats already were targeted. Stevens and Ferry counties each got two permits.

Delgado said one of the permits will be used in the vicinity of a school bus stop near Buzzard Lake, about eight miles north of Loon Lake. A number of sightings have been reported in that area, he said.

Blankenship said hunting in Ferry County will be focused near Republic, where a cougar has been prowling around a mobile home park, and in the Deadman Creek drainage about five miles north of the intersection of U.S. Highway 395 and State Route 20.

In Okanogan County, houndsmen are looking for 13 cougars in the Loomis, Pine Creek, Wauconda, Nine Mile, Oroville, Spring Coulee-Happy Hill, Twisp and Winthrop areas.

""I just hope it works," said Okanogan County Commissioner Mary Lou Peterson.

She said cougars have been spotted near the elementary school in Oroville and at the community center in Twisp, among other areas where public safety is threatened.

""I don't want to wait until we have a child killed or another one of our ranchers loses $40,000 in stock like we had two years ago," Peterson said.

Chelan County Commissioner Ron Walter sat in on the Feb. 28 meeting in Morton's office, but said his county so far is satisfied with Fish and Wildlife efforts to control what appears to be a growing cougar population.

Fish and Wildlife enforcement Capt. Steve Duma urged residents to report cougar problems on the department's hotline or to their nearest Washington State Patrol office. The hotline number is (800) 477-6224.

#196719 - 05/19/03 01:55 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Let me revise my statement... They dont seem to target adult humans. you saw the math, 10/11 are kids. I'd like to see the story on that last one if you'd got it. No sarcasm... It kinda interests me.

And the age thing... Dude seriously give it up. I respect the fact that you provide evidence, but cant you do it without making yourself look like an ass?

Curtis

#196720 - 05/19/03 08:47 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
golfer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Issaquah

#196721 - 05/19/03 11:03 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
And the age thing... Dude seriously give it up. I respect the fact that you provide evidence, but cant you do it without making yourself look like an ass?
Dude,, as stated many times, I am not here to try and win anybody over. I really care less if you and others think I am an ass!
You dont like my style, then dont bring it on by attacking me.

Did you see the story from Princeton from the above link? How about the one on the Pennisula?

Later Dude!

#196722 - 05/29/03 01:10 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
golfer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Issaquah
This was sooo entertaining I wanted to get it back up on the board. Kinda like an old Seinfeld episode. By the way, did those two posters ever fight????

#196723 - 05/29/03 07:29 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
For those of you that do not know what a bremelo is it is a fat hooker that hangs out downtown bremerton to service the sailors.I did not apreciate being told to get the fat hooker off my face.There was no reason for it.I have never stood for any gun controll and am flat out against it.I think jim needs to quit posting after too much stupid juice.

I think I called it just right.Internet tough guys crack me up.The scary thought is that this idiot is proud to be packing a gun but can not even be civil here in this simple forrum.

No he passed that one up unlike what he told you all.That actually makes him pretty bright.

#196724 - 05/29/03 09:14 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
ltlcleo:
you never said where? I would be glad to put the emails up on the board so where?
as I said you called me out so name it.

#196725 - 05/30/03 08:41 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
You keep it up NO MORE RECESS

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#196726 - 05/30/03 09:33 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Not sure why wolves have anything to do with cougars in Wa state. Here in Idaho wolves are a very real pain in the ass. The people who wanted them here don't live here... They are eating up the elk herd in the salmon river country. How many elk can 600 big dogs eat??? PRETTY SIMPLE AND SHOCKING MATH

#196727 - 05/30/03 08:42 PM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
JG

Does someone have to add a WT element to this embarassing thread to end it? Atleast change the title or something....

OK I'll start it off....maybe someone can get a piece of Ramon's clothing and give it to a Cougar.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#196728 - 05/31/03 08:39 AM Re: Cougar attack on the Kalama
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I'll ask Ramon for some old undies if you really think those WSU grads need something to chew on laugh

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1417 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |