THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200301 - 06/15/03 01:12 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Quote:
Originally posted by oolichan:
Quote:
Originally posted by SlabQuest:
[b]
Quote:
I'd rather live free with terrorists running around than to life under the watchful eye of the government
I'll bet you'd change your tune pretty quick if an Al-Quida bomb exploded at your local mall and killed your wife and kids.

And don't think it can't happen...
In fact it's more likely to happen now than pre 9/11, that's the irony in this whole mess. [/b]
Just how is it more likely now that people are looking out for this sort of thing and security is increased?

#200302 - 06/15/03 02:00 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Jacob, I am 16 and I personally know many people (not saying if I do... laugh ) who CAN make those kind of bombs. Making a bomb is simple man! And how hard is it to get a custom stamp designed?

Hmm you really think its hard to play the mail system? I have a friend who just shipped his paintball gun, completely assembled w/ air tank (Which was half full) to Texas. Yes, that is illegal.

It IS easy, and I believe a mail bomb would definitely be a choice further up the list then taking out another plane.... Considering all that genius security is going into the airlines.

Imagine it... 3000 bombs all placed to go off on the same day. You dont think Al Quaida could put 50 or so of their guys together making bombs in a house?

E-mail me what ya think... I dont check this particular forum much. ctwiggs1@yahoo.com

Curtis

#200303 - 06/15/03 03:58 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Voodo,

Not very smart what you just posted.

People dont take things with a grain of salt these days, even more so things to the affect of what you just associated yourself with.

#200304 - 06/15/03 05:20 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy:
Jacob, I am 16 and I personally know many people (not saying if I do... laugh ) who CAN make those kind of bombs. Making a bomb is simple man! And how hard is it to get a custom stamp designed?

Hmm you really think its hard to play the mail system? I have a friend who just shipped his paintball gun, completely assembled w/ air tank (Which was half full) to Texas. Yes, that is illegal.

It IS easy, and I believe a mail bomb would definitely be a choice further up the list then taking out another plane.... Considering all that genius security is going into the airlines.

Imagine it... 3000 bombs all placed to go off on the same day. You dont think Al Quaida could put 50 or so of their guys together making bombs in a house?

E-mail me what ya think... I dont check this particular forum much. ctwiggs1@yahoo.com

Curtis
I'm not saying it's not easy, I just want to know how someone could make the claim that it's actually MORE likely to happen now.

#200305 - 06/15/03 05:53 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
I would expect there are more people out there that hate Americans now than ever before. Looking at it that way it may be more likely that an act of terror could happen now.

#200306 - 06/16/03 11:34 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
The reason that it is possibly more likely now, is that the muslim world is more against us now, after the Iraq war, than it was before. It's a simple matter of numbers - you can't have suicide bombers without volunteers, and the Iraq situation is good advertising for that. The radical muslim clerics are having a field day. I'm not justifying that, just pointing out the situation.

The other issue is that, for all the noise being made about homeland security, the hard fact of the matter is that our borders are still quite porous, and explosives are not hard to obtain. Witness Oklahoma city, where the federal building was leveled by 5000 lbs of fertilizer soaked with diesel. Litereally anyone could go down to Pendleton Grain Growers and get 200 lbs of ammonium nitrate without anyone blinking an eye. Go over to Chevron, get yourself some diesel. Go to the indian reservation, get yourself some firecrackers and fuse. Now you've got a bomb.

In fact, one might ponder the question, why have we only been hit once in the US? I don't believe that it is because we have magically become effective in finding all the terrorists. Far more likely that there aren't that many terrorists to begin with. For which, I, for one, am grateful.

#200307 - 06/18/03 05:47 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
MasterCaster Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Florida
Silver Hilton..... It says home port is Bellevue, but you say
Quote:
Litereally anyone could go down to Pendleton Grain Growers
Wow, must be from there? Not many people know what PGG is..... My son lives in Pendleton. You a member of Blue Mountain Flyfishers?

MC

"Equal Rights" are not "Special Rights"........

#200308 - 06/18/03 08:40 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Attention Bush Haters Club members>

Join the other haters and read the following:

After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered:

This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every! citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

If you agree -- pass this along; if you don't agree -- delete it!

AMEN

#200309 - 06/18/03 10:46 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
How about freedom of religion. Or freedom from presicution. What is frightning is that you don't seem to realize who you sound like.

#200310 - 06/18/03 10:50 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterCaster:
Wow, must be from there? Not many people know what PGG is..... My son lives in Pendleton. You a member of Blue Mountain Flyfishers?

MC
Yep, despite the current trappings of urban prosperity, I'm really a transplanted redneck. Never belonged to BMFF, as I left Pendleton to go to kollidge in 1975, and now only visit my Mom there. The fly shop didn't exist when I lived there, and I had to get flytying materials via mail order when I lived there. Got a nice little crick to fish over there, as long as you're willing to hike 1200 feet down into a canyon that the elf don't even want to run up.

Nice area, but no work, and the schools are suffering.

#200311 - 06/18/03 11:13 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
"After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered:"

Last I read the State of Florida disallowed this decision.

#200312 - 06/18/03 11:15 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
The Bush Haters are the same ones who gave us MARIA, Our Tennis Shoe wearing Senator, McDermott, Simms, Yassar Lowery, Sound Transit, and Locke all proven winners.

Yeah Right! And Clinton wasn't Impeached, Patti didn't join the "Brady Bunch" (tried to impose a $20 tax on each Box of Ammunition Sold) or make Pro Saddam comments at a shool in SW WA, McDermott & Lowery now there's a pair one is known as "Bagdad Jim" and the other as "Mike Arafat" both "Born Loser's".

#200313 - 06/18/03 11:18 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by grandpa2:

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

Nice editorial. Completely contradicted by history, the Constitution, and common sense, but nice editorial.

"In God we trust" is not our national motto, it is a phrase on our currency. It dates to the Civil War, when the treasury catered to increased religious sentiment. Source, US treasury website.

The phrase, "one nation, under God " (pledge of allegiance) dates only to the 1940's.

The founders of this country, including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin, were not Christians, they were Deists. Deism is hard to define concisely, but basically it takes the position that it is unlikely that Earth and humans are the most important things on God's to-do list.

George Washington, in 1796, in the treaty of Tripoli, said, "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, based on the Christian religion." Since he was president when the country started, I'd say he was in a position to know.

While the fervently devout christians are very energetic in trying to paint this as their nation, the fact is, it ain't so. It's everyone's nation, and the founding fathers were very explicit in their desires to keep the Cotton Mathers and Ayatollah Khomeini's of the world from interfering with the freedoms of others. That is why it is illegal, and appropriately so, to put the ten commandments on the wall of a classroom.

The history of the US is rife with cycles of increased evangelical sentiment, followed by legislation to attempt to implement the religious sentiment into law. This gave us prohibition and the war on drugs, among other things. Generally these laws fail. We're in one of those cycles right now. Not surprisingly, these cycles often concide with periods of war and economic uncertainty.

There are numerous nations in the world whose government is religiously based. Most of them are muslim, and they work to implement Sharia as the basis of law. I think we would all agree that that is a disaster. Stoning our daughters for sexual activity and cutting off the hands of petty thieves doesn't meet my definition of civilized law. It ill behooves us as the leader of the free world to not set an example that freedom of worship, or not to worship at all, is such a fundamental right that any attempts to implement religion by the state are inherently suspect.

After all, isn't the freedom of religion one of the freedoms that we are trying to bring to Iraq?

#200314 - 06/18/03 11:30 AM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Well we had "slippery slade". A champion for the people.....lol.

#200315 - 06/18/03 02:53 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
Thank you Silver Hilton.

Best post on this thread.

Best post of the year.

In the running for best post ever.

#200316 - 06/18/03 04:12 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Ditto on h2o's post. Very well put, SH.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#200317 - 06/18/03 04:51 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

We haven't found Saddam either. I suppose next we'll be hearing that he didn't exist either.

#200318 - 06/18/03 05:07 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Quote:
Originally posted by JacobF:
We haven't found Saddam either. I suppose next we'll be hearing that he didn't exist either.
Sounded stupid when Cheney said it and hasn't gotten any better the umpteenth time around.

Turn off "Pravda (Fox) News" and start reading some periodicals from around the world. You'll be amazed at what "fair and balanced" reporting really means.

BTW-- excellent post SH.

#200319 - 06/18/03 05:11 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Interesting post(s), one of the ironies is that I hear the echos of "America, Love it or Leave it" in both the editorial and some of the comments on this board. I wonder why I never heard those statements directed towards the "Clinton Haters". Just a thought.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#200320 - 06/18/03 05:15 PM Re: WMD was that really important anyway?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Silver Hilton, I like your style.

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |