Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201202 - 06/16/03 02:15 PM Paying to punch
driftinforchrome Offline
Parr

Was the idea passed that each additional punch card (after the first one is filled) will cost 5-10$ for each punch card after the first one? confused mad fight

#201203 - 06/16/03 02:19 PM Re: Paying to punch
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
YES $10

#201204 - 06/16/03 06:54 PM Re: Paying to punch
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
because the general fund can always use more money!

#201205 - 06/16/03 07:22 PM Re: Paying to punch
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
Chum Man,

That is NOT general fund money. It is detacated to research.

beathead

#201206 - 06/16/03 07:52 PM Re: Paying to punch
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Yea, right!

Research to see how they can keep increasing our fees without doing $hit for it! How did we all live so long without WDFW doing all that "research"?

What's wrong with WDFW just telling the truth and just saying; bad times; need more money to keep our jobs; and if you are dumb enough to buy that crock of $hit . . . then great!

What a bunch of hockey puck! It's all about money and keeping their jobs on this one and nothing else!!

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#201208 - 06/16/03 08:37 PM Re: Paying to punch
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Actually the $10 increase in our salmon licenses some years ago was supposed to be for the program that retains blackmouth in Puget Sound to "enhance" fishing in Puget Sound with the dream that fishing could occur 12 months out of the year...Well years of disastrous fisheries management and over fishing have made that a distant dream at best. The enhancement money was soon gobbled up by the general fund so we could afford those $800,000 outhouses in Pioneer Square for the winoes to pee in instead of on the street and various other "services"...Now the new law mandates that the additional revenue stays in the department. What they really do with it remains to be seen. There will be considerable financial strains coming up with hatchery reform and ESA compliance so maybe it will help. I personally haven't ever filled a punch card but I think the number of slots has diminished over the years.

#201209 - 06/16/03 08:46 PM Re: Paying to punch
Blackbart Offline
Alevin

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Sounds to me like no money is safe with the stae or WDFW. This sounds just like the duck stamp money that has never been accounted for.

#201210 - 06/16/03 10:16 PM Re: Paying to punch
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Federal Way
An interesting little bit of info most don't know, this increase was sponcerd by sportfishing as legislation and supported by all sportfishing groups that spend any time doing any work in Olympia. It was done specifically for the purpose of trying to minimize or eliminate further cuts to hatcheries and the money goes into the wildlife account. So if you dont like it, blame sportfishing groups, blame your legislators, or well, blame me.

#201211 - 06/16/03 11:11 PM Re: Paying to punch
rattlefish Offline
Parr

Loc: granite falls
hey Mike,
so your to blame!

well thank you very much I appraciate your work. finaly an organization that realizes that services are not free.
last I heard it cost $500 for each hatchery fish we bonk on the head. I have even heard one politican who wanted to use this study to make us pay for each fish we killed(duh, he lost the election) he also wanted "the user" to pay the whole bill for saveing wild fish and to pay for "buying and up keep" of all ramps,parks,campgrounds and all. I would blow him and his ideas off as a nutcase except all these "user fees" keep going up because no one wants "their taxes" to pay for "those programs."
My perfect politican would fund the hatcheries so we could release as many fish as we did in the 70's and if he needed to raise my taxes for this so what. if he then took some of the extra taxes to build an outhose for bums so what. as long as I have some fish to catch and still have money to go fishing I'm happy.

#201212 - 06/17/03 02:16 PM Re: Paying to punch
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#201213 - 06/17/03 05:12 PM Re: Paying to punch
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Federal Way
Cowlitz,

As you have allready found out, you wont find and specifics about hatcheries in the text. It is just that in the real world the Department needed $X dollars and the budget was only giving them $Y. Under the $Y there were going to be hatchery closures so there were some ideas thrown around to get the department more money. This idea was the one that stuck as the forcasted revenue was enough to run a couple hatcheries. What the actual revenue will be we can wait and see.

There are several funds under the control of the department. The wildlife fund is, I guess you would say, the primary one. There are others, like the PSRE (Puget Sound Recreational Enhancement, ie blackmouth). I can't name them all, some are dedicated for specific hunting uses and others for fishing uses. Whatever money the deparment needs that is not available from these funds is allocated from the general fund by the legislature.

#201215 - 06/17/03 06:26 PM Re: Paying to punch
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Thanks Mike for your quick response.

Here is the problem in a nut shell as I see it now!

You said; "It is just that in the real world the Department needed $X dollars and the budget was only giving them $Y. Under the $Y there were going to be hatchery closures so there were some ideas thrown around to get the department more money. This idea was the one that stuck as the forecasted revenue was enough to run a couple hatcheries. What the actual revenue will be we can wait and see."

In the "real world" (today's government) state governmental agencies have to be up front and truthful with their needs! No longer are the days when they can tell us one thing, and do another.

I had read about all the "other" funds that WDFW has, and how they are most likely "kind of screwed up" also, but I had chose not to post all the RCW's that may apply to those issues on this posting.

How can fishermen ever learn again to "trust" a state agency when the "agency" is not totally up front or truthful with the people who pay the piper? Forgetting the facts or the merits for just a moment of "why" the WDFW needed this "extra funding", let's just talk about trust or maybe the lack of trust in the WDFW.

Obviously, WDFW believed that they needed more money to continue whatever programs they were involved in when they predicted these finical shortfalls. Instead of being up-front with "the public", apparently they had chosen people who were brought into play to help put pressure on the legislators to pass this new law.

Common people must ask; why then didn't WDFW open this issue up to all it's public supporter and ask for their help and support. Instead, it certainly now appears that only a few groups of hand picked "supporters" were told the real facts.

And you and others wonder why some people start talking or implying the age old "conspiracy" thing! The more I read and research this issue, the more I understand why WDFW is always being cut from the general funding. I know better then most, of the games that are now being played out, but I still expect, no I demand, that WDFW be honest and up front when they need more money from their number one supporters.

I can say more, and I most likely will, but for now let's see if some other bb members can explain this fiasco any better. Again Mike, thanks for all your hard work and efforts and my reply does not in any way reflect on either you or your integrity. At least you are a doer, and not a just a talker! You can say that you have "walked the talk"

Aunty, you are right, but WDFW has a public responsibility to inform us all were they are going to "spend" the money from this new tax. I am not against WDFW using that money for enforcement, but if they can not be "up front" from the very beginning, who in the devil can trust them?

Cowlitzfisherman

#201216 - 06/17/03 09:34 PM Re: Paying to punch
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Geez CF....I should wait until I get up at 4am to read your voluminous conspiracy theory.

(4) The funds received from the sale of catch record cards must be deposited into the wildlife fund.

I think this issue is pretty simple. The WDFW budget was getting sucked out by politicians for other BS programs in this state. Sports people who DO things...worked to support this idea to give back some money that is earmarked for WDFW and not Frank Chopp and Gary Locke to spend on some insane entitlement. What WDFW does with the money , as I said earlier, remains to be seen.
And are you really shocked that a government agency or a politician would say one thing and do a completely different thing. Like the lottery paying for schools.HAHAHAHAHA....Or Gary Locke proclaiming to be the education governor and then fighting to lower teacher's pay....Fishing is embroiled in politics unfortunately and that is why we need organizations like RFA and PSA (and many others that I don't belong to) to fight the political fight.

If you don't like this minor battle won then go fight along side the rest of us and come up with a better idea.

And Aunty, I am not convinced that the land acquisitions by WDFW are sinister or not worthwhile. Maybe you could ask whomever in WDFW is responsible for real estate to answer from their perspective and we could debate instead of accuse them of some conspiracy. Don't get me wrong I like conspiracies! I prefer to blame Washington Trout for everything bad though...OH...and the Democrats.

#201218 - 06/17/03 11:30 PM Re: Paying to punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

mike, do you have a list of the fishing groups that were involved in this issue, thanks.

#201219 - 06/18/03 03:33 AM Re: Paying to punch
Rob Allen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver WA
JUST MY opinion and i don't wanna debate it cause you guys already know how i think.

1 punchcard per angler per year period..
no additional fee increases of any kind period.

#201220 - 06/18/03 03:52 AM Re: Paying to punch
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
Here we go some more! when is the state going to pull there heads out of there *** and get rid of the nets! The increase in dollars due to a thriving sportfishing industry will give them more than enough money to play with. beathead

I guess that will never happen because the money from the commercial industry goes in there pockets and as long as this crap keeps up were going to keep paying more and more while the netters are raping and pilaging our resource. We get to pay for it! thats ****ed

Oh no? how much money do you make fishing? thats right zero! why are we paying so much to fish? the commercials and tribals make millions yet they only pay kibbles and bits! mad

#201221 - 06/18/03 09:08 AM Re: Paying to punch
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

AuntyM.....I wasn't slamming you about the land purchases. I just don't know anything about it and was suggesting that we find out why they purchase land in the first place. If they are just buying land willy nilly for no good reason then yes it is absurd during budget shortfalls. It could be like so many other government agencies in that they must spend what they are allocated each year or it is "wasted" in their world. If they don't spend it it their budgets will be cut for next year??? I don't know. The land purchases may also be done as the opportunities come along too. I will do some research of my own and see where this goes.

By the way I should have just changed my email in my profile but I like being cloned so a few on this BB have 2 people to hate.

#201222 - 06/18/03 01:07 PM Re: Paying to punch
driftinforchrome Offline
Parr

Hey CF how many punch cards do you usually fill each season on the cow?

#201223 - 06/18/03 06:06 PM Re: Paying to punch
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

That depends on the size of the silver run each year! Last year it was five cards. The year before it was 4 cards. Nobody in Toledo ever goes hungry when I am fishing for silvers. You might say that I specialize in silver!

But it's not just the cost that was at issue in this post; it's the issue that WDFW kept their real reasons for increasing the fees pretty much in secret, except to that of only a few groups that they knew that they would count on for support.

Do not forget, I have personally worked with many of the top staff in the WDFW for many years now, some are still there while others have retired or have moved on . Both our attorneys and I have had numbers of closed doors meetings concerning possible wrong doings by WDFW and we have also had judicial hearings concerning some shaky things that WDFW upper staff has done in the past. So remember, I have years of experience and hands on action to support 99% of what I say when it comes the WDFW's past history. remember this; you can take it to the bank.... history always repeats itself!

If some of these members had spent just one half of amount of time that I have working with different groups and the WDFW,WDOE, NMFS, USFWS, and the utilities (BPA, TP, LCPUD), they would probably be eating a little crow pie (and it would be well done....if not burnt!).

Grandpa, that was meant to answer your statement; "If you don't like this minor battle won then go fight along side the rest of us and come up with a better idea." If you were addressing that to me, and I am assuming that you were I would be more then willing to match my time card against yours when it comes to the volunteer hours spent working with WDFW, Utilities or other fish related groups!

How many times have you signed up and testified at hearings to support our fish runs and drive over 100 miles to do it?

Maybe I better stop now before I really get my hair up with your statements! You may or may not agree with what I write or opine, but you have no grounds to stand on "IF" you are trying to insinuate that I am not an active participant in making change to our sport fishing opportunities!

PS, were your "cloned"? If so, are there now you & it? If so, are you you or are you it?

Driftinforchrome: Please explain how WDFW can charge us an extra $10 dollars for a "punch" card when they do not spend a dime on rearing the silvers on the Cowlitz? Tacoma Power pays 100% of the bill to raise all of the coho on the Cowlitz, so how in the hell can WDFW justify charging us and extra ten bucks for something that they didn't do?

Cowlitzfisherman

#201225 - 06/18/03 07:12 PM Re: Paying to punch
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Aunty

Well, we will talk this week end! laugh

But grandpa needs to think before he makes such statements like he has (if they were indeed intended for me). eek

Could just be a communications problem, but then again maybe it's just a standard cloning problem laugh laugh

Cowlitzfisherman laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
6 registered (Excitable Bob, SpoonFed, Carcassman, 20 Gage, snit, steely slammer), 1275 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |