Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201965 - 06/23/03 10:13 PM back and ready to learn more
JohnnyDeep Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
Well I am finaly back on line, the last three weeks or so have been a nightmare. Our house got broken into and robbed, the boat blew a head gasket, and the upstairs neighbors hot water tank blew above my condo (that I am trying to sell) destroying all the sheetrock in the garage, (Thank god my renter got home when he did!! It could have been so much worse)
So now that I have cobbled together a computer out of whats left, the boat is back up and running, we have a new alarm system and back door, and a contractor showing up next weekend to do my condo, I am ready to get back to some seriuos fishing.
My question is since this is still my first year with a boat and I seem to have a pretty good idea what is going on with the blackmouth, I want to know more about the kings coming in. I know they are chinook so I am assuming the blackmouth methods will work, but it seems like I remember someone awhile back saying they could be at any depth. Does this make it even more important to find bait on the electronics and focus on the bottom of the school. What about lures and or bait, Plugs? How about those spinning flashers? every one keeps talking about dogfish and herring, will hootchies and flashers work...I got a million questions
I guess it all boils down to " I need some stress free time on the water" and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I have done a little bit of lurking and searching in the last couple of weeks, but since I am starting with a basicly blank slate( other than blackmouth, wich I might add after I started applying what I learned here I never got skunked!!!) anything will help. Oh and we are trying to schedule some time this summer for my girlfriends father to come up and do some fishing, what would be a good time for him to at least try and hit the peak time( maybe even for coho???)

beer beer

#201966 - 06/24/03 08:49 AM Re: back and ready to learn more
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
JD,
I think the biggest difference between Fishing BM's and Kings is depth. While we pretty much , as DR would say, "Ring the Dinner Bell" for the BM (bounce bottom) it's a different story for the kings. Starting early in the morning you may want to start fishing as shallow as 30 to 60 feet on the downriggers and then as the day gets brighter with sunlight gradually start working down deeper. And while finding bait is always a good thing, I don't think it is as important for Kings as it is for Black mouth. Those BM's are residents and are pretty much always searching for food, the Kings are migrating through and are going to pretty much follow a path to where they are going and will feed as the opportunity arises. Pretty much all your BM tactics should produce kings as well. Herring, Hootchies, Bucktails, Coyote's, Sonic Edge, Silver Horde's whatever.

Good luck out there, they should be coming soon!

#201967 - 06/24/03 10:22 AM Re: back and ready to learn more
Ryan Ositis Offline
Smolt

Loc: Shoreline, WA
Forgive me if I missed something, but don't blackmouth == Chinook == King? IIRC, they are they same thing!

#201968 - 06/24/03 11:31 AM Re: back and ready to learn more
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Yes, blackmouth = king = chinook.

The difference is blackmouth are resident king/chinook. Meaning, they hang out in Puget Sound and don't migrate to a river to spawn in the fall.

#201969 - 06/24/03 11:37 AM Re: back and ready to learn more
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
JohnnyD, so many questions. You best just come fishing with one of us.

It is a little early for migrating kings. About the middle of July they will start to flood in to Puget Sound.

#201970 - 06/24/03 06:42 PM Re: back and ready to learn more
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
Hope "FLOOD" is the operative word this year....

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#201971 - 06/24/03 11:49 PM Re: back and ready to learn more
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
JD,

Sorry to hear such unfortunate news... I had some similiar things happen a few years back.. Very stressful environment.

Two keys to successful King fishing: (1) depth, and (2) leader length.

As UM suggested, start early, early, early morning. I will usually be on the water 1/2 prior to twilight (this is the light gray to black skies). The returning fish will usually migrate in the upper 80 feet of water- so 30-80 feet is a good start. Increase leader length by at least 10 inches or so... About an half hour after sunrise, I don't waste time, I drop down to the bottom. Although fish can be anywhere in the water column, the majority will head deep near the bottom. Who knows, you might even pick up that 20# BM this time of year- so kill two birds with one stone and fish the bottom 10'. Last year, all but three of my Kings were taken from the bottom 10'.

I wouldn't worry about finding bait- migrating Kings generally do not feed. As far as lure or bait. If you use bait, find the biggest available and troll slowly. This time of year, I especially hate bait because of the Barkers... I like big lures that make a lot of noise... Pi$$ those fish off and they'll hit.

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#201972 - 06/24/03 11:54 PM Re: back and ready to learn more
minibear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: T-town
Hey D Riggin have you ever tried tolling magnum wiggle warts or kwikfish behind a downrigger.

#201973 - 06/25/03 07:33 AM Re: back and ready to learn more
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Mini,

SSSShhhhhhh !!!! (Jokingly)

I can't say that I have run them off the DRs, but I do flatline them out in front of Chambers and McAllister Creek- fl pink Mag Wart. Haven't tried a flatfish or kwikfish yet.

I usually charge the heck out of a 5" glo/green splatter back J-plug (rattle) first thing.... Followed by a 5 or 6 inch spoon or hootchy

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#201974 - 06/25/03 08:44 AM Re: back and ready to learn more
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
If you are fishing for Chinook in the ocean like Neah Bay, LaPush,Westport etc...the fish are still feeding and hitting herring pretty hard. Troll a plug cut or whole herring at 30-60ft down..especially effective is motor mooching near the kelp line at first light. At Sekiu for example fish at 50ft down in 60ft of water and you will catch fish...remember to release all unclipped fish....good luck

#201975 - 06/25/03 12:25 PM Re: back and ready to learn more
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by RRR:
Hope "FLOOD" is the operative word this year....
FLOOD should be the word when it comes to the pink and coho run this year, not sure about the kings though......

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |