Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202104 - 06/25/03 11:13 AM Ft. Canby-North Jetty
uyellowdirtydog Offline
Parr

Loc: Whidbey
Does anyone have any tips for fishing the Jetty for Chinook? Thought maybe Buzz Bombs, darts, or even herring below a bobber! How about a big kwikfish with a little herring wrap? Heard that jetty can be slippery, would felt shoes maybe help? I have many questions. Can anyone help? Never fished the Columbia before and any info would be be helpful. Thanks

#202105 - 06/27/03 02:55 PM Re: Ft. Canby-North Jetty
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
uyellowdirtydog:

Run "north jetty" through the search engine and you should get some useful info.

The basics:

Mostly a float and fresh herring show. Stop by the canby campground store and they'll show you and sell you all your rigging. Try to keep your herring around the top 8' of water. Fish the incoming and slack tides. Strong outgoing= curl up on a rock and take a nap.

The jetty is not for the physically weak, one wrong move and you'll fall and be hurtin for certain, airlifts occur off of the jetty every summer. fridge The rocks are more manageable at the beginning of the jetty than towards the middle and end. Felt soles are always a good idea. Bring bug repellant for the brown jetty flies. A long handled salmon net is necessary to get them in. Don't forget the sunscreen. I would recommend a mainline at a minimum of 25-30lb test and at least a 25lb leader. Those jetty fish are not leader shy. Lots of barnacles and occassionally some monster kings get hooked. When a fish takes your bobber down reel until you feel like your actually reeling the fish in then set the hook!

The second week of August through Labor Day weekend is usually prime time for the jetty.

Good Luck,

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#202106 - 06/27/03 05:58 PM Re: Ft. Canby-North Jetty
Bounty Hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sadly in Seattle
I fished there twice the summer of 2000. I didn't catch anything until I gave up and started fishing bottom fish. It can be disheartening because all the boats are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out there in the middle of the river crowded around the buoys and you feel like you are never casting far enough. Bobber and cut-plug herring is the most popular. Also the dredge ship dumps right out in front of the jetty so the water seemed murky to me (see charts for drege dump area).

Another option is the Oregon side. I hear they do well on Silvers off Clatsop Spit fishing cut-plug herring under a float.

Take a big surf/bank rod if you go to either so you can get maximum casting distance.

#202107 - 06/27/03 06:24 PM Re: Ft. Canby-North Jetty
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
There's no doubt the jetty is not what it used to be. The early 90's though I would go out there after work and get at least a fish every night sometimes limiting within 25 min. But last three trips over the years have been meager for catching.

Those boats at B-10 would be fishing in front of the jetty if they could but its closed to fishing from boats because of it being a "conservation" area. Don't worry about casting out far, alot of your hookups will occur within 8 feet of the rocks. The cohos and kings use the jetty as a barrier to corral bait fish while feeding.

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#202108 - 06/27/03 01:27 AM Re: Ft. Canby-North Jetty
racerdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: longview
Fished it alot, 2001 was red hot. But last fall was a waste of time. Hopefully this year will be better. Since the 96 flood it hasent been the same. If the salmon fishing is slow you can always crab off it also, ive done really well there using a cats ass with herring in the middle.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1169 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |