Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206267 - 08/07/03 11:50 AM suggestions wanted for Neah Bay or Sekiu
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
I am heading up there with 3 kids. I was hoping to find pink/coho fishing for impatient children. Does anyone have any suggested spots/tactics? I have a decent sized boat.
Thanks.

#206268 - 08/07/03 12:06 PM Re: suggestions wanted for Neah Bay or Sekiu
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I can only attest to Sekiu and there's no big secret to success. If you can't catch silvers there then you have serious problems. Put anything out at 30 feet and troll, at a good clip, straight out until you find them. Cut plug, spoons, etc. I couldn't keep them off when I went to a green hotspot and glow white hoochie but then I couldn't keep them off when I used five ounces of lead and a cut plug either. Silvers have got to be one of the dummest fish there is. They are so aggressive it's amazing they weren't wiped out long ago.

#206269 - 08/07/03 12:37 PM Re: suggestions wanted for Neah Bay or Sekiu
clubber Offline
Fry

Loc: Aberdeen
I just got back from Sekiu yesterday. My kids had a blast. There are lots of silvers but even more pinks. We could not keep the pinks off as they seemed to hit everything we tried.

#206270 - 08/07/03 01:46 PM Re: suggestions wanted for Neah Bay or Sekiu
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Three kids fishing off the back of a boat.... should be fun!

I would run each pole with maybe 5 ounces of lead, and a Fish Flash(optional) with a Bait Buster maybe 36" behind that. Be sure to use good ball-bearing swivels with this combination to avoid twisted line. Absolutely killer for coho up there. With the Bait Buster you don't have to troll very fast to get great action. I bend the Bait Buster tight to get a fast spin for coho and troll slower than most just because it is easier to keep your bait down 30 feet or so.

Each child will have their own pole and no messing with bait or downriggers. If you want to go after big coho, head out to 400' of water and look for the rips. Just to make it simple I would probably start right out front in 100' of water and start troling straight out to deeper water. I can't imagine you not nailing fish after fish with this method no matter where you are.

When fishing Sekiu, the rule is that if you haven't had a bite in 15 minutes check your bait and move. The fish were everywhere last weekend.

#206271 - 08/07/03 03:15 PM Re: suggestions wanted for Neah Bay or Sekiu
DaleD Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washington
#0 white Les Davis Dodger with about 20" of leader (Maxima Ultragreen) to a F15 mini-squid (use a 1/0 hook), troll about 1.0 knots. Put shrimp Smelly Jelly on the squid (but don't get any on the tentacles.)

Go deeper as the day wears on, usually. Preferably troll WITH the current.

#206272 - 08/07/03 03:52 PM Re: suggestions wanted for Neah Bay or Sekiu
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
Nothing generates more positive feedback than a question about NB or Sekiu!!

Thanks alot for the tips.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 693 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645422 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |