LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207997 - 08/23/03 01:29 PM Caught my first seal by accident.
squating dogfish Offline
Parr

Loc: Lacey
I was on my kayac at the mouth of the Nisqually river yesterday fishing with a slver plated pot of gold spoon when I saw a grayish white mass 3 feet below the surface and grab my sppon. Scared the living hell out of me! It was like the video of the guys marlin fishing when the marlin goes on a run and the line rips off the reel. Unfortunaly I was using 20lb braid, and within 10 seconds half my spool was gone, and had forgotton my spare spool. I took the drag setting to max and thank god the line broke instead of my rod. It was an errie feeling being surrounded by about 20 seals at the mouth of river. I could tell they were pissed just me being there.

#207998 - 08/23/03 02:56 PM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
So the other seals you caught before were on porpoise? wink j/k Too bad you didn't have heavier pound test, you could have gotten a tow out to Anderson Island. Glad it turn out okay for you.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#207999 - 08/24/03 05:28 PM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
I watched a guy at the mouth of the Puyallup hook a small seal Saturday morning. The seal was small enough that he was actually able to bring it in close enough to his boat that he was able to cut his line below his flasher. Hopefully that little seal learned its lesson. Unfortunately my buddy brought in a 25lb king that a seal took about 5lbs out of on the way in.

#208000 - 08/25/03 09:54 AM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
There beer are a bunch of seals in the lower Snohomish right now. They are great fishermen. With all the boats around, I am sure some of them are going to get snagged.

#208001 - 08/25/03 09:59 PM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
I've had seals eat my herring and get hooked up twice, and actually wore one out enough to get my gear, except for the hooks, back. That one I hooked when I used to salmon fish out of a small rowboat. A seal doesn't accellerate as fast as a fish, and this critter that was probably over 200 pounds couldn't get enough steam up against the bend of my rod to break my 20 pound leader without towing my boat around. Took about 20 minutes and that puppy was gasping at the side of the boat and couldn't even dive anymore. I considered doing something nasty to it but as I was sitting in front of about 500 picture windows off of Chambers Creek I just grabbed the lead and broke off the trailing hook. Was a slow day early in the season anyway or I probably would have snapped him off right away. Amazing how they feel just like a big king until they head for the surface and make that first "jump" rolleyes

#208002 - 08/26/03 09:10 AM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
Buzzy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Yelm
Launched out of Deep Riover and ran to the first hole just below penis rock. FFishing for sturgeon with big herring.. Got a hook up, fish started coming up and I see this round fin splashing about .. wth? Was a small seal.. broke him off with one large pissed jerk..

Fish ON! ooops,,, heh sorry guy....

#208003 - 08/26/03 11:23 AM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
Buzzy congrats on your first post! I have this vision of you at penis rock with a pissed jerk, who was the jerk? laugh

#208004 - 08/26/03 12:00 PM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
Buzzy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Yelm
LOL good one smile The large pissed jerk had two functions right then smile

Fish ON! ooops,,, heh sorry guy....

#208005 - 08/27/03 12:14 PM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
MasterCaster Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Florida
I have to wonder what effect on salmon recovery if we went back to controlling the salmon killing bas tards.... No natural enemies except great whites (like we have them in the sound), so they have multiplied too damn much. How many of you have caught seal-scarred salmon/steelhead?
When they feed, they take a big bite out of the soft belly and go find another......

MC what

"Equal Rights" are not "Special Rights"........

#208006 - 08/27/03 12:53 PM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
papaslap Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
My kids attended South Bay school and for many years they would hatch and raise chum eggs and release the fry into Woodard Creek , flowing into Woodard Bay. Now there seems to be a seal sanctuary at the mouth of Woodard Creek . Counted 500 of those *******s one day! not he kids the seals.

They are also taking over docks which used to be used for mooring fishing boats mad mad mad

#208007 - 08/27/03 04:36 PM Re: Caught my first seal by accident.
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
same goes for woodland creek over here. i've found some good sea run cutt fishing in that creek, i might give woodard a shot sometime at the old railroad bridge. too bad it's not 30 years ago when those creeks were still swarming with silvers and chums in the fall. hell, woodland creek isn't even year round anymore anywhere up above draham road, and the water is rarely over a foot deep

i hope that some day i'll be able to catch a salmon out of the mouth of one of these creeks, not much really any more since a lot of the habitat got destroyed by culverts and development

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, wolverine), 1118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |