THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#210254 - 09/17/03 01:24 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
I just want to make it clear that PMartian is not the only person here that servied his country.

#210255 - 09/17/03 01:53 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Pmartin, you have email.

Don't worry, it's not loaded. wink

#210256 - 09/17/03 03:23 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Absolutely amazing. One liar can't keep up with what the other is lieing.

Cheney
Rumsfeld

It is damnably insulting that the administration holds the American people in such contempt.

Here's another bombshell:

Saudi/Hamas link

We're fighting the wrong people.

#210257 - 09/17/03 04:05 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

Sky, check your mail.. cool

#210258 - 09/17/03 06:44 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

#210259 - 09/17/03 07:45 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
GoHarley, What is interesting is what that sentence doesn't say which is how the f**k did most Americans get that idea? Well, we know that it was the Administration in the buildup to war. What also surprises me is that none of the folks who argue the other side quite vigorously (PMartin and BBVD immediately come to mind - but there are others) have chosen to respond to my post from yesterday. I'm pretty certain that it is not the case that I made my arguement so convincing that everyone now agrees with me eek I do however think the underlying question is very valid. And that question is: Is removing a head of state as the only reason for going to war a valid use of a Nation's Armed Forces? The ramifications of such a policy are huge and with this admission today and the slim possibility of WMD's being found, I think this is the only reason left. What am I missing?

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#210260 - 09/17/03 10:47 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Guys, the rest of the report most likely reads like the one I read, which speaks of the admins. adherence to the belief that Saddam has direct ties to Al Quaeda (i.e., funding their activities, I presume), but no direct responsiblity for the 9/11 attacks themselves.

I find that distinction a little weak (purposely understated), but it's apparently enough rationalization for them to feel like they're off the hook.

#210261 - 09/17/03 10:57 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
goharley, how could you possibly call 9/11 collateral damage? You said yourself, Bin Ladin declared war on Westerners. He targets American specifically. He killed 3000 Americans.

Bush targeted Saddam Houssein specifically, not Iraq.

Eddie - your posts have hurt the liberals side of this arguement so much you might as well just not post anymore; you are only bringing ridicule to yourself and your allies.
Hey look, I just made a stupid, completely unbased and unsupported remark! Now I can be one of the guys, eh? And I used big words to sound educated... wow.

You may want to read the whole article... the actual facts for your arguments. Here\'s what President Bush was saying.

Curtis

P.S. Looking forward to the response to this one.

#210262 - 09/17/03 11:05 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

I think so many people believe that Iraq was involved because of the superb speech writers in the Bush cabal. I don't remember exactly who, but a noted psychologist pointed out that the words Iraq and 9/11 were used in the same sentences and paragraphs enough times to lead one to believe the context meant they were related. The Bush propoganda machine would make even Joseph Goebbles proud.

After that, I believe what Hermann Goerring said about scaring people into believing they were in danger, and vilifying anyone anti-war comes into play.

As far as using the Armed Forces to remove the head of state, I believe what Bush did was criminal. I believe he should be impeached, and if found guilty he should resign.

Why did we go in the first place? I read the Project for the New American Century and believe the answers are in there. It's more than just coincedence that the authors of that paper are now imployed in the Whitehouse and Pentagon.

I believe the goal is to dominate and colonize the Middle East by first conquering the easiest and most vulnerable country with oil - Iraq. From there it's easy to force our influence on the rest of the Arab countries.

#210263 - 09/17/03 11:31 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy:
goharley, how could you possibly call 9/11 collateral damage? You said yourself, Bin Ladin declared war on Westerners. He targets American specifically. He killed 3000 Americans.

You may want to read the whole article... the actual facts for your arguments.
Well, I kind of mis-spoke. I personally don't see it as collateral damage, but bin Laden does. He isn't attacking Americans, per se; he is attacking Americanism and Western ideology. That's why he chose the targets he did. If it was simply a matter of American body count he could have chosen far worse targets. Disney World at spring break for instance.

His targets were political. He was making a statement and 3000 people died in the process. In his mind that's simply collateral damage.

In your referenced article, that part about Cheney on "Meet the Press" describes where the administration believes the connection between Iraq and al Queda exists. You'll notice it also says that most in the intelligence community doubt that belief.

From everything I've read is that bin Laden hates Saddam because of his secular ways. Bin Laden is an extreme fundamentalist and Saddam only invokes religion when it benefits his cause.

If Bush was truly concerned with attacking those responsible for providing aid to terrorists we would be invading Saudi Arabia right now. We already have documentation of the Saudi royal family giving money to bin Laden, and today we learn they're supporting Hamas as well.

#210264 - 09/17/03 11:55 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Curtis, if you believe that Pres. Bush "targeted Saddam Houssein specifically, not Iraq", can you see the dilemna that presents? I can not think of any war the US has been involved with that had that basis. And that is my problem with what this represents. If the US can go after the head of a sovereign state with no threat of danger from that sovereign state and no evidence of acts of war from that sovereign state against us, can't you see how we have legitimized that action for any other country - possibly against the US itself? The old saw that all is fair in love and war is not true. The leaders have always protected themselves personally against the ravages of war. What would stop N. Korea from saying that Bush is a devil and try to assasinate him with their military? This, I think, was the root of the United Nations reluctance to support the President's actions. There are rules in war - assasination by military falls outside the rules.

In regards to the President's statement today, so there is a connection between Sadaam and Al Quaeda but no Iraq involvement in 9/11? Now there's a surprise. Osama Bin Laden's family, being one of the biggest Construction Companies in the Middle East. I expect that we could find a connection betwwen Al Quaeda and:

Saudi Arabian leaders
Pakistani leaders
Iranian leaders
Syrian leaders
Yemeni leaders
German leaders
Spanish leaders
and even the United States leaders

What in the world does a "connection between Sadaam and Al Quaeda" mean? What was the quality of that connection, where are the facts of the depth of the connection? When will we get these answers? Personally, I have serious doubts about the credibility of this President and his Administration. I've seen lots of Presidents lie, this is not news. I have never seen a President's lies have the kind of costs that this one has incurred.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#210265 - 09/17/03 11:59 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Earlier in this thread the question of one's patriotism came up. I recently ran across this and thought it relevant:

Quote:
"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else"

- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States

#210266 - 09/18/03 01:21 AM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
hehe

I read that quote in 9th grade and I do love it. Theodore Roosevelt was a REAL mountain man!

Curtis

P.S. Hitting the touttle this saturday, any recent reports?

#210267 - 09/18/03 04:28 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Yeah, he was. Probably one of the best presidents we ever had from a sportsman's point of view.

#210268 - 09/18/03 05:25 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/comment/0,12956,1036687,00.html

Interesting reading.

#210269 - 09/18/03 06:03 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

That is some very interesting reading. I read something very similar recently that drew the same conclusions.

Sounds like a Clancy novel, doesn't it? Damn scary that it's all factual and true.

#210270 - 09/18/03 06:18 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
racerdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: longview
The Guardian is not above telling un-truths so take some of it with a grain of salt. BTW, they are British and very left-wing. But if you slant that way it my be gospel. As i can see the choir is in their proper chairs. laugh Just havin fun.

#210271 - 09/18/03 07:38 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
The Guardian is all truth and fact???? Come on boys...

#210272 - 09/19/03 11:22 AM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
If the Bush administration was more forthcomign about their strategy in the middle east, sources like the Guardian wouldn't need to be sniffing around and writing stuff that sounds like an Oliver Stone movie...

What intrigues me is a long term presence in Iraq and the advantages that it may have for the US. You could certainly argue that the polices of the past hasn't exactly worked and fed the situation that we are facing today. Uh oh, I'm starting to sound like a neocons...

#210273 - 09/19/03 12:44 PM Re: NFR Do you know how much $87 Billion is?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I say we sell the oil!

Take the lump sum for the cost of the war and give the rest to the iraq people to rebuild...Better yet we can use all the money found from husseins hidings and use it first..

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1431 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |