Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#210422 - 09/23/03 09:38 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
I had an EZ TROLL on my Northwest jet. It was crap. A clicker control that moved the kicker back and forth. Always had to have the thing in your hand and hard to keep the boat straight. Then I had a arm installed on top of the pump. This arm has a quick release that goes to the kicker. You steer it with the wheel. This works outstanding, and did not cost very much. Under a hundred bucks. When your ready just un-hook the arm, lift the kicker and your gone. Same set up will work with an I/O I am told.

#210423 - 09/23/03 12:48 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
B-Run,
The problem some of us have is that our boats have swim steps w/ the auxillary motor mounted at the back. This prevents using an EZ-Troll. Removing part of the swim step is an option. 'But' the Trophy's transom doesn't have much 'meat' above the swim step heighth for attaching a swing up mount to use w/ EZ.
You learn these things AFTER you buy a boat!! frown

Thanks to all for responding to this thread.
smile

#210424 - 09/23/03 01:04 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Peri,
I have pretty much decide on the TR1 w/ wireless remote. I just need to call Pete and get in on one of the times that the factory installers are in town.

#210425 - 09/23/03 01:27 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Between 2 Mountains
Peri,It's the $$$, don't work frown so have to buget.Will get a TR-1 though it would be nice on the Trophy. thumbs

#210426 - 09/23/03 09:31 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
fishin' sparky Offline
Fry

Loc: sultan,wa
You can't compare the TR-1 to any manual steering method. Hands down if money was no object i'm sure that most of us would have the TR-1.
Now if you want to compare the trol-eze to a tiller, IMO your better off with the trol-eze. When i first started using it I had to get used to the controls. This took a few hours of use. In higher winds I ended up trolling with the main engine since the wind blew my boat around. This would have happened with or without the trol-eze.
Anything that is connected to the i/o doesn't work to well with an alaskan bulkhead, wife and kids. When a rod goes off and you have to run from the helm to get it dodging things in your way, anything remote is the way to go.

Periwinkle, if you want to check out the install on my trophy, I live in sultan. Send me an e-mail and we'll hook up. If you would like to decide for yourself, i'll be on the water this weekend (launch in everett) your welcome to come and try it for yourself.
I'm not a salesman, just trying to help a guy out. By the way, Fishbelly2 if you read this, Doing anything saturday morning?

#210427 - 09/23/03 10:36 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
markshoreline Offline
Alevin

Loc: Shoreline, Wa
If you got the dough, go for the TR-1. However, the rig I use was less than $30.00 and works great! Mark

#210428 - 09/23/03 10:38 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
I saw the TR-1 operate on a SeaSport in the Columbia River on autopilot connected to the GPS...very impressive how the hydraulics whizzed back and forth to keep the boat from swinging side to side in the current. All the wires bugged me though as we were tripping on them. The thing that concerned me was all the parts and the fairly complicated mechanism working overtime in the salt water...Just seems like a very expensive and possibly delicate device that may be prone to premature failure. No evidence of that but just a worry. It does bug me that all the SeaSport guys have these kickers and no outside steering and controls as it is available from SeaSport....climbing inside the cabin to steer and read the depth finder is a pain in the ass. Too bad you have to spend $3000 for a wireless remote. Does the new TR-1 tilt the motor? if not that is also a drawback. I saw one such device at the boat show that someone was demonstrating...it tilted the kicker and steered it all from a wireless remote..I was impressed but not in the market so I didn't see what brand it was. All I know is it did it all.

Side note....watching people trolling with a kicker while sitting on the stern holding onto the tiller gives me chicken skin. Soooo unnecessary these days. At the very minimum an EZ Steer eliminates having to sit out there. The TR-1 has the ability to fine tune trolling speed whereas the cable throttle isn't very easy to finesse.

Slab...If you spend your life savings on the
TR-1 you won't be able to go fishing...

#210429 - 09/24/03 01:11 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
petef1 Offline
Fry

Loc: South Beach, Oregon
You were most likely looking at a early vintage TR-1. The Tr-1 Gold autopilot Only has 4 wires, 3 are barried in the back of the transum area. The only exposed wire is connected to the remote, as with all other steering systems. I mentioned there will be a wireless remote available soon! Oh also Our Electronic's are encapsilated in a potting compound(waterproof) Im happy to awnser any questions about our autopilots any of you may have.

Keep on Trollin!

Pete/TR-1

#210430 - 09/24/03 01:24 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

Grandpa I have a Seasport with the outside steering and controls but that does you no good when you have to tend to a pole and there's no one to steer. The whole concept of the TR-1 is "an autopilot that steers for you and holds course". I have had one since they were first released and fish exclusively in salt water. Have never had a problem with anything corroding and ceasing to work. Of course it's like anything else in salt water, if you never grease it or take care of it then eventually everything will stop working. I'll admit they're expensive but it's more than paid for itself in more time spent fishing and less time fighting to steer the boat while working rods at the same time.

#210431 - 09/24/03 08:17 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
good clarification Hog...and Pete....Hey Pete.maybe you should come to a PSA meeting and show off your product to the members...

I like the autopilot too but that does not mean no one has to steer....I do alot of steering when people on board are fighting fish...Sounds like a great product...Now if it just tilted the kicker too OOOO Baby!

#210432 - 09/25/03 12:19 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Hey guys, if you've ever had an interest in a TR1 auto pilot system -- give Pete a call (1-800-588-7655).. I talked with him yesterday about the P.P. discount and price etc.., and his offer was 500 clams less than I had previously found...... Plus you won't have to pay WA 8.7 sales tax (saving another $147).... WOW go for it now..... Granpa,,,,,good invite...

Thanks everybody for your contributions...

Sparky, that was a very generous offer...... I'd still like to see your Trophy set up, will contact.
However , my kids are grown and gone, my wife (of 43 yr) sits the helm seat -- calling out "boat on left turn right" --- I tried her at the tiller except we kept going in circles laugh

#210433 - 09/25/03 12:28 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
petef1 Offline
Fry

Good Morning,

I would not mind comming to a PSA meeting to help you all understand the TR-1 Autopilot, When I started here over four years ago. I was told by TR-1 that they could hold headding using a Kicker on a sled even in wind, waves, and current. My first thoughts were ya right!. Whether I work here or not I will never own a boat without one. I fish with friends that dont have one yet, and I wont steer the kicker using the Tiller, I now get to Frustrated. Whatever I need to to to prove it, you got it.

Thanks Pete/TR-1

#210434 - 09/25/03 12:57 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

OK, Peri,

I just talked to Pete. You & I are "on the list" for the next road trip. His pricing (with the PP discount) was pretty attractive. I'll just get the basic system for now and the wireless unit when it comes out in a few months.

We just need 3 more customers to get an addn $100 off installation. Anyone interested?

I also invited him to our PSA meeting October 8th.

#210435 - 09/25/03 03:48 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
wooldridge Offline
Parr

Loc: Centralia
I have a panther steering system I took off my 21' Thunder Jet, It is less that 1 year old and I will sell if for like 200.00. I paid a lot more when I bought it with the boat! But I think they sell for 300.00 new??? The reason I took it off was that I bouth the TR-1. It worked fine but the TR-1 is Awesome. But if the TR-1 is out of a person's price range, then this one or one of the others is still nice to have. If anyone is interested shoot me an e-mail (jeff@thesuperhwy.com). I will not be checking it for a few days though since I am heading out to Westport for Claming and Fishing!!!

#210436 - 09/25/03 04:06 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
petef1 Offline
Fry

I am considering attending the PSA meeting October 8th, Is there any others that would like me to show up, talk about the TR-1 Autopilot, and setup demo rides. If I end up installing several autopilots, I may be in the area for several days. Any feedback from members would be great!

Pete/Tr-1

#210437 - 09/25/03 04:22 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Pete,

ooops, I gave you the wrong date for the PSA meeting.

It is Tuesday, October 14th. Edmonds Yacht Club, 6:30PM (1830)

Hope to see you there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |