THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#210655 - 09/11/03 11:48 PM READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
On the Puyallup....

2 Adult Fish ONLY! 6 Total if 4 are juveniles. Coho Juvee or Jack is 19" and under. Pink Jacks are 11" and under. King Jacks are 23" and under. Only 2 Adults Total, no matter what species! After that you stop fishing.
Also, you CANNOT keep Wild/Native/Unclipped
Fish.

Guys are just raping that river. mad People boast of a 6 or 4 or even an 8 fish limit. 2 kings 2 coho and 4 pinks.....Hell that is rediculous. They literaly kick the pinks back in and keep as many Coho as they can. Am I missing something or was there a reg change i didn't see?

Dam, alot of people are so hard up for take home, they're like deer caught in headlights!
Poachin' Selfish Losers. Your ruining what's left of our runs. evil

#210656 - 09/11/03 11:58 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
I've seen it... One guy releasing his pink by throwing it out into the middle of the river, another guy with a stick through the gills 4 silvers and two pinks... ugh

Curtis

#210657 - 09/12/03 12:08 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
fish-onNW Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA
man I just got home from the puyallup and its all people who really don't have a clue on whats going on. It drives me crazy the last 3 times I've fished it I have told myself that I wouldn't come back.

#210658 - 09/12/03 12:32 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

although it does not specify that you cannot keep wild fish on the puyallup, on page 16 of your regs you will find the scoop. i think wdfw is going to have to post it for people to understand. BRING A DAMN CAMERA! to take pics of your little humpies.

#210659 - 09/12/03 01:09 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Natives:
Page 20 says,

Wild fish can only be kept where specifically authorized in the Special Rules.

Clearly highlighted and circled.

#210660 - 09/12/03 03:33 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
if it's with salmon, i think you can keep unclipped fish(as long as the river is open for salmon) if it doesn't say you have to release them e.g.(release all wild COHO in the regs)

if not, i've been breaking the law for years...

#210661 - 09/12/03 12:06 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Page 20

Statewide Freshwater Rules

Wild STEELHEAD, DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT, and SALMON may only be kept where specifically authorized in the Special Rules.

And there you have it...............

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#210662 - 09/12/03 01:11 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

using that logic, you'd have to release every chum you catch on the skok in the fall. what about the places in the regs where it says "RELEASE WILD COHO, CHUM". what if you caught a king? if you had to release all wild fish unless exactly noted, why would there be any need to put it in the special regs there?

it's pretty convoluted. there are other places in the regulations that say that exact same line you posted, except there is no salmon mentioned in it

#210663 - 09/12/03 02:42 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

i just called wdfw to clarify this topic. they told me that you CAN keep wild salmon unless it is specified under the puyallup river section. most rivers in the regs have it posted, and the puyallup does not. therefore it is ok if thats what you feel is nessesary. the only thing that they are sticklers on is the fact thet once you catch your two ADULTS, you are done!

#210664 - 09/12/03 02:53 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan S.:
Page 20

Wild STEELHEAD, DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT, and SALMON may only be kept where specifically authorized in the Special Rules.

I'm looking at the PDF version of the 2003/2004 regs right now (http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/regs/2003/2003sportregs.pdf) and I don't see that language on page 20. Am I blind, or do the online and hard copy versions differ?

#210665 - 09/12/03 03:13 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
jayjos Offline
Fry

Loc: puyallup WA
I can and do keep wild kings on the Puyallup, and i'm with in the law. but i don't understand it because those same fish swim up the carbon, and you cant there.

#210666 - 09/12/03 03:20 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

i haven't kept any wild kings yet this year, mainly due to my own luck, but also that a lot of the fish coming out of the puyallup and carbon are a bit dark for my liking

i was just shocked about this, since if it was true, you'd have to release every single pink or chum that you caught, because they aren't marked

#210667 - 09/12/03 03:29 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Quote:
Originally posted by 3/0_in_my_eye:
Quote:
[b] Page 20

I'm looking at the PDF version of the 2003/2004 regs right now (http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/regs/2003/2003sportregs.pdf) and I don't see that language on page 20. Am I blind, or do the online and hard copy versions differ? [/b]
3/0_in_my_eye - Here's some good advice,
Never doubt DanS; It just makes you look (insert expletive here).

The rule is on page 20 of the regs.
Page 20 is on the 18th page of the pdf file.

The rule is really pretty simple but...

Here's a breakdown:
Wild STEELHEAD, (just the wild ones)
DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT, (wild and marked included)
and SALMON (wild and marked included)
...may only be kept where specifically authorized in the Special Rules.

FTinflections :p

#210668 - 09/12/03 03:48 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

those regs are really in need of a reorginization and a re-wording. that line should say "RELEASE ALL SALMON, DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT, AND WILD STEELHEAD UNLESS AUTHORIZED"

#210669 - 09/12/03 03:58 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Chum Man,

You are correct of course, but you must remember that the rules are...

Written by Lawyers! beathead

Lawyers who probably are a product of our
public school system. cry

#210670 - 09/12/03 04:01 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

So taking into account what everyone said, it looks as though, like in the case of the Carbon, that it must be stated in the special regs section that you CAN keep Natives, not the other way around.

Makes more sence that way. Otherwise it would make the general freshwater regs useless. Oh well, looks like i aided in the release of lots of native silvers. And it felt great. laugh Look forward to doing it again, after i get an arm and shoulder replacement.

#210671 - 09/12/03 04:17 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

don't think that's too big of a deal, considering you're not supposed to fish for salmon at all unless authorized confused

#210672 - 09/12/03 04:39 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Between 2 Mountains
Read the regs !!!! pg.40 beathead It's a no brainer. mad

#210673 - 09/12/03 05:15 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Plunker

That is really a good one!! laugh laugh

Quote:
Lawyers who probably are a product of our public school system.
thumbs

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#210674 - 09/13/03 04:11 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
Yes, read the darn rules for a river before you try to fish it. Thursday or Friday my buddy Carver was driving past the road the leads into Rayonier Bar on the Hump. There were to rigs with drift boats sitting at the locked gate. He noticed one of the guys was throwing a fit kicking rocks because the gate was locked. The river doesn't open to salmon fishing untill Oct. 16th. They were more than a month from the opening. He figuered they were from the big city.

#210675 - 09/13/03 07:09 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
It's kinda funny, or sad, that we even have to discuss a rule like this. Shouldn't it be a little easier to figure out?

Man, I can see people showing the reg pamphlet to a judge so he can see if he can figure them out without a lawyer present.

"Only unmarked hatchery fish missing their left ventral fin with an intact adipose may be retained using seletive gear and with a non-buoyant lure restriction, on the west fork of the wahddyacallit river. Limit 6, but only two adults......but you can debate with your fellow anglers if you want to stop after your adults are retained or keep fishing for jacks (and culling the adults while you do)until you get all six.

No snagging, except you guys with REALLY long leaders. Lure must be kept moving......this will allow you to set the hook 6 or 12 times per cast........so yes, plunking is illegal. All you handicappers figure out some other way to fish.......we gotta go to a meeting right now to give your fish away to the commercials.

Be prepared for emergency closures......you must check the website for them. If you are old and/or computer illiterate, too damn bad. The website will tell you which rivers we've closed because we let the commercials net the he!! out of what was supposed to be a good run.......but it wasn't so yep, it's YOu who's gonna get hosed. We regret that you purchased license/punchcard/gear for a season we closed.........but be sure to give us your money again next year and we'll be glad to try doing the same thing to you next season.

Thank you for your support of WDFW. We look forward to screwing, err serving you again in the future."

Do you think it's a coincidence that I have my copy of the regs sitting in next to the sh!tter?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#210676 - 09/13/03 09:06 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I think you just well sumed it up Dan. laugh

#210677 - 09/14/03 02:57 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helv">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helv">Originally posted by Plunker:
<strong> Chum Man,

You are correct of course, but you must remember that the rules are...

Written by Lawyers! beathead

Lawyers who probably are a product of our
public school system. beathead

Curtis

#210678 - 09/14/03 07:18 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I have wondered in the past how many people have been scared away from a potential hobby by our fishing regulation?

I will always remember a guy I met several summers ago out fishing locally for searun cutthroat.He was retired from Hawaii,and had fallen in love with hiking the beaches casting for sea runs.He was genuinly exited.

Then one summer day the gamie came to do their thing with the clamdiggers on one of those summer extreme lows.My friend also happened to be out enjoying his retirement and there paths crossed.I was across the narrows riding my mountain bike just watching the game warden.From afar I could tell that my fishing buddy was getting upset with the game warden as the gamie was shuffling him towards his rig.I raced throught he colleage across the bridge to the park just in time to see the gamie drive off and my friend standing there with a broken pole and a dumfounded look on his face.

Turns out that somewhere in the regs there is a rule that to fish for searun cuttys in the salt you must have on your possecion both fresh and saltwater liscence and my friend only had the salt.Yay he got a ticket and I havent seen him since.

It has been awile but this rule was to seperate sentances on two differant pages in the booklet.

It seems everytime the wdfw mismanges to the side of the comercial then the sporty gets a new batch of "rules"

#210679 - 09/14/03 05:38 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
silverslayer Offline
Egg

Loc: Puyallup
Just got home from the Carbon river brought home a chrome bright humpy! As i was fishing two gentlemen were down river from me the one gentlemen brought in a nice size king caught legally a couple of cast later he snaggs one in the back and has the nerve to proceed to beat it over the head with a rock as though he hooked it in the mouth. that really pissed me off! considering the amount of fish in the Puyallup and the Carbon there's no call for that type of slaying!!!!

#210680 - 09/14/03 10:04 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Silver,
If you're gonna get that pissed over that you may as well not fish down there anymore. The majority of the kings in that river go home that way.

#210681 - 09/15/03 01:34 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

Quote:
Originally posted by Plunker:
Quote:
Originally posted by 3/0_in_my_eye:
[b]
Quote:
[b] Page 20

I'm looking at the PDF version of the 2003/2004 regs right now (http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/regs/2003/2003sportregs.pdf) and I don't see that language on page 20. Am I blind, or do the online and hard copy versions differ? [/b]
3/0_in_my_eye - Here's some good advice,
Never doubt DanS; It just makes you look (insert expletive here).

The rule is on page 20 of the regs.
Page 20 is on the 18th page of the pdf file.

The rule is really pretty simple but...

Here's a breakdown:
Wild STEELHEAD, (just the wild ones)
DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT, (wild and marked included)
and SALMON (wild and marked included)
...may only be kept where specifically authorized in the Special Rules.

FTinflections :p [/b]
Thanks for pointing out the language for me -- I knew it was there somewhere! I wasn't questioning anybody -- just wondering if I was, in fact, blind. I am.

Here's another question/complaint about the regs: they use terms that are undefined. They use the term "wild salmon" but that term is not defined in the regs. "Salmon" is defined, hatchery fish is defined, "Wild Chinook and Coho" is defined, but not "wild salmon." This is very, very sloppy drafting.

Also, under the special rules for many rivers, it explicitly says you can keep hatchery fish. This is toally unnecessary because according to page 20, the only fish you can keep are hatchery fish, unless specificlally stated otherwise. Some special rules state that you have to release wild fish -- again, unnecessary. All this does is create confusion.

I took a tax law class in law school, and the tax code is easier to understand than our sport fishing regulations!

#210682 - 09/15/03 01:36 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Busta-Busta Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Eye-Of-The-Sun
>>. It drives me crazy the last 3 times I've fished it I have told myself that I wouldn't come back. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I know the feeling, that's why I quit going To the puy. , it makes me sick seeing guys kicking fish and being stupid. One guy literally threw his fish over his shoulder into the rocks, letting it thrash around for ten minutes.. I don't know why these guys even bother.

#210683 - 09/18/03 04:53 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

I sent an email to WDFW to clarify this issue. In summary they said that you have to release wild steelhead unless the river rules specifacally state you can keep them.

However, for salmon, if the river is open for salmon fishing you can keep wild salmon unless the river rules specifically state you can't.

Here is my question and their response:

I'm a little confused as to the regs.

On page 20 it says:

Wild STEELHEAD, DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT, and SALMON may only be kept where
specifically authorized in the Special Rules.

On page 21 it says:

Release of wild STEELHEAD and Dolly Varden/Bull Trout is required year-round
in freshwater areas, unless specifically exempted in the Special Rules.

Notice page 21 omits SALMON.

In past years you could keep wild coho & pinks on the Skykomish & Snohomish,
however looking at the special regs there it doesn't specifically say you
can keep wild salmon. So should I go by page 20 or page 21?

Thanks

---------------

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence to the Washington Department of
Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program.

On page 20, the word Wild refers to Steelhead only, not any of the other
species listed. We are considering how to re-word this for next year so
there is no confusion. It's been suggested that perhaps if we were to state
it as : "DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT, SALMON, and Wild STEELHEAD, may only be
kept where specifically authorized in the Special Rules", it may be clearer,
we will be looking into the best option. Release of Wild Steelhead is a
very important message to get across, hence the reasoning for putting it
first to get better attention. Therefore, you will want to look in the
Additional Rules column for the body of water you are fishing to see if it
states Wild (species Coho, Chinook, Steelhead) release. During an open
season, if it does not say to release a species such as "release wild coho"
or "release wild adult chinook" etc. for example, then you are allowed to
retain them, such as Pinks on the Skykomish can be kept.

If you have further questions, please email again or call (360) 902-2700.
Our Customer Service hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through
Friday.

Sincerely,
Fish Program

#210684 - 09/18/03 10:33 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Adipose Soup Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Richland, WA
So, since I went to Gonzaga law school, does that make me somehow inherently better than those fine attorneys who went to U of W, as I am not a product of the public school system? Not that I'm arguing. . . .

#210685 - 09/21/03 02:49 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
talljeeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Dan S...right on the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having relocated here from Kansas I was completely SHOCKED at the complexity and incredibly confusing regulations.

Look at Oregon if you want an example of relatively easy to interpret tules ...oh yeah and follow

#210686 - 09/21/03 03:40 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
Blackbart Offline
Alevin

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Dan S. great post eek huh

What difference does it really make if the fish is wild or hatchery born??

WDFW needs to make it easier to understand and less incriminating for someone who just wants to go fishing.

If they want to save some fish get the commercials' and tribes' net out of the water!!

#210687 - 09/23/03 03:32 PM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

And the raping continues on the green now. Lots of fish for everyone but you always have the desparate ones that keep snagged fish and have to keep more than their limit.

Single point only unless it floats. And leave the buzzbombs at home.

Fresh eggs under a float has been kickin' butt though.

#210688 - 09/24/03 12:12 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
ramprat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham
All I know is I have been fishing the Lower Puyallup for over 15 years. It was always one of my favorite rivers to fish, as the first kings always showed up in late july and I was usually able to have fresh bright Chinook in the freezer by then. Then the Silvers came. Then a couple of years ago Not only did the state block off the access to the lower levee road due to illegal dumping, they closed the season until aug 1st. Up until then My favorite hole on the lower was something I looked forwards to every year. I was always alone or maybe three or four other fishermen at the most on the weekends .
Two years ago crowds started to show up as did the snag fest. People were keeping foul hooked fish and way over the limit. It was way out of hand and I called the Game department to tell them what was going on. Of course they said they would be right down but nothing seemed to change.
This year was the worst I have ever seen in my life. Not only were people keeping foul hooked fish, I heard first hand of people taking home upward of 30 fish in a day.
A friend of mine foul hooked a fish and when trying to release it was harrassed by someone who wanted the fish. and actually ridiculed for letting go a bright fish giving no regard to the fact that it was an illegal fish and foul hooked.
Driving to work just three days ago I went down levee road to see what was going on and saw a plunker with three rods out and down the road two plunkers with four rods out. If you Can't follow the rules people DON'T FISH
Ramp Rat

#210689 - 09/24/03 12:45 AM Re: READ/KNOW YOUR FRIGGIN' REGS!! Puyallup...
ramprat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham
Quote:
Originally posted by sinker:
Silver,
If you're gonna get that pissed over that you may as well not fish down there anymore. The majority of the kings in that river go home that way.
If you are going to keep Snagged fish (You) better not fish Anymore We are watching!!
Ramprat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., darth baiter), 533 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |