THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211211 - 09/16/03 03:21 PM Muckleshoot salmon sales...
Anonymous
Unregistered

How bout this for some P.R... frown

It'll be interesting when this takes off just how the government alienates the sportsmen even more...

Muckleshoots begin selling tribe salmon - Market competitive, but group hopes to find its own niche
by Mike Archbold, Journal Reporter

September 16, 2003 - The Muckleshoot Tribe is making fishing history this week on the Duwamish River, becoming the first local tribe to catch and market its own brand of wild salmon.

The fresh coho, also called silver salmon, will be available at area markets, the tribe says.

A radio advertisement touting the quality of Muckleshoot coho began running Monday.

The fishermen were in good spirits Monday, too, though tired from the previous night's work.

John Halladay, who heads the year-old Muckleshoot Seafood Products, said that over the next few days the catch will end up in a number of stores, each with a special tag declaring it ``Wild Fresh #1 Salmon'' from the Muckleshoot Tribe, which is based south of Auburn. Odin Foods Inc. of Renton is distributing the fish to retailers.

Quality isn't an accident, Halladay said. The direction to tribal fishermen on the river is, ``handle with care.''

The net-caught salmon are bled and iced on the river as soon as they are caught to prevent bleeding into the meat and easy bruising. Boats carry crushed ice.

They aren't hauled in by their tails, either, which can pop blood vessels along a fish's spine and cause bleeding, which lowers the quality of the salmon. They are handled with two hands, one under the head and one under the belly.

Dockside, the salmon are gently loaded into the hold of a large fishing boat with a refrigerated sea-water system to keep the fish pristine.

First, each one is checked with an electronic wand to separate out those with a metal tag inserted in their snout as hatchery fry. Their snouts are cut off and bagged for later reading, to see where the fish came from and when they were released.

The salmon are then driven by boat across the river to a nearby fish-processing plant and turned over to a distributor. Both processing and distribution is by contract -- for now.

Carving out a niche in the competitive salmon market will take time, but Halladay said the tribe is investing in the its future to build a name for Muckleshoot fish. Its fishermen have been on the river for centuries, he said, and they will be there for centuries more.

Coho are the bread-and-butter catch of the year. It's a five-day-a-week fishery, compared to a couple of 12-hour fisheries for chinook salmon.

Last year, the first day's catch was 80,000 pounds. Sunday night's catch was about 11,000 pounds. Tribal biologists say the run could be late and hasn't peaked yet, though they are keeping their eye on the catch numbers.

Like all commercial fishermen, tribal members on Monday wished the price-per-pound was higher. Muckleshoot Seafood Products is paying 60 cents per pound.

Ralph Elkin Jr. and his cousin, John Jansen, said they hoped the harvest picks up soon.

``It's pretty slow yet,'' said Jansen, but with rain forecast, he hoped the coho might start moving around more.

John Starr, who said he has been fishing since he was 8, said there was a time when fishermen could make a living -- but not anymore.

``You can get by,'' he said. ``Usually I just do it because I like to do it. It's in my blood.''

By early Monday morning, he had pulled in 73 coho and no humpies, or pink salmon, which aren't worth much on the market. It is a big pink salmon year, too.

Only about half of the 30-40 boats in the tribe's fishing fleet showed up for opening day. The coho were coming in at between 6 and 7 pounds, although a few fishermen were getting larger ones.

Starr and the other fishermen also hold out salmon to sell from the back of their trucks lined up at 121 S. River St. under the First Avenue Bridge. Do the math, he said: $2 a pound is better than 60 cents a pound. He has one restaurant owner who usually buys between 50 and 60 fish each year.

Stanley Moses, a longtime Tribal Council member and head of the tribe's fishery committee, said the tribe has owned the Duwamish River boat launch and docking facility for 38 years. It is now in trust status. The site has grown and today represents at least a $3 million investment by the tribe, including docking facilities and buildings.

He said it would be great if the Muckleshoot Seafoods Products could pay fishermen more for the fish but it simply depends on pricing trends that begin in Canada and Alaska. The tribal company has to at least break even, he said.

Halladay said the company already markets smoked salmon in special box sets as well as canned salmon. To further that end of the business, the tribe is planning a 13,000-square-foot cannery which may be built on the Duwamish site.

Eventually, he said, Muckleshoot Seafood Products -- fresh smoked and canned -- will be in every store in the state.

#211212 - 09/16/03 03:51 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
That's great. frown

#211213 - 09/16/03 04:03 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Personally I have no problem at all with it. They've done far more than the state for our fisheries and will continue to do so.
They've got bioligists working on small streams and large rivers to improve habitat. Last I checked the commercials don't. Hell the state doesn't do much work for fish habitat anymore. They'll mandate it for construction work but let others foot the bill. The tribe has the money now and they're putting it to good use as far as I can tell.

#211214 - 09/16/03 04:15 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Hopefully, people will realize the fish they are buying and not buy at all. If people don't buy their fish then they won't be netting and selling them.

Boycott tribal caught fish.

#211215 - 09/16/03 04:16 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Think I'd rather boycott fish caught by white factory trawlers myself.

#211216 - 09/16/03 04:25 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
GTaholic Offline
Parr

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Looks like it may be a tough year "AGAIN" on the Green. Thanks Mukle****!!!!

#211217 - 09/16/03 04:28 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Out of the three tagged fish I got in Elliott Bay last year the 2 biggest came from the Muckulshoot Hatchery.

#211218 - 09/16/03 04:32 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Duro - I don't recall there being a Muckleshoot hatchery on the Green. I thought all the hatcheries on the Green were WDFW owned.

#211219 - 09/16/03 04:51 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Easy,
Thats what I thought too till I got the tag reports back from the state. I still dont know where the hatchery is. Maybe someone here does. Only 1 of the 3 came from Soos Creek though.

#211220 - 09/16/03 04:53 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Interesting.

#211221 - 09/16/03 04:54 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Pautzke's used to have a hatchery in the gorge, maybe the Mucks took it over???

#211222 - 09/16/03 05:02 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

I will try to see if I can find those reports im not sure if I saved them. But the name Icy Creek or something like that comes to mind.

#211223 - 09/16/03 05:05 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
BBpontoons Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kent Wa.
They own a hatchery across from were the new bridge was put in on the north side of the christmas tree farm I do believe that they are the ones who also raise the chum for the Green River.

#211224 - 09/16/03 05:07 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Icy creek would be the old egg hatchery. Buddy of mine was telling me they used to just get kings back to it for eggs.

#211225 - 09/16/03 05:20 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
They also have the net pens over in Elliot bay .
These are released in the salt so they never make it up river, at least I don't think they do.

#211226 - 09/16/03 05:26 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: wa
The tribal hatchery is called the Keta Creek Hatchery, and is just north of the new bridge, on Keta Creek.

Rob

#211227 - 09/16/03 05:26 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Isn't the Keta Creek hatchery run by the Muckleshoots?

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#211228 - 09/16/03 05:26 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
I do not recall seeing the gentle handling with the great reverence mentioned in the article. What I do remember seeing (last year) was a fisherman pulling up his net, picking out fish, and then throwing some back into the water while keeping others.

#211229 - 09/16/03 05:27 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Wooley worm, great minds must think alike, and at the same time too!! smile

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#211230 - 09/16/03 05:32 PM Re: Muckleshoot salmon sales...
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

All I remember for sure is when I gave the fish checker the 3 heads I asked him what kind of info was on the tags. And he said it would give the date the fish were released and which hatchery they came from. Than I said there is only the soos creek hatchery for salmon. And he said no there was wdfg hatcherys and tribel hatcherys.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1423 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |