THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#213690 - 10/07/03 08:30 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

CFM,

Yes, WDFW (WDF then) ended the sport-commercial license, partly in response to the US v Washington treaty fishing decision, as I understood it. Charter boat licenses and commercial ocean troll licenses were both different.

The sport-commercials may also have been restsricted to the 3 mile limit of Washington coastal waters. This may have been the same salmon troll group referred to as "kelpers." I just don't remember.

I was trying to inject some levity in a debate that I don't have the heart for, but Smalma's information is worth your consideration. Any action that increases recreational angline efficiency or increases mortality to ESA listed fish will result in a reduction in fishing time and opportunity for us recreational anglers.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#213691 - 10/07/03 09:00 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
chaser Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville,wa
You can buy that bulls#%& if you want I dont. How would that be any different than what is going on now in area 5 & 6 with all that catch & release

#213692 - 10/07/03 11:13 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood
IMO, it's tough to rationalize. The impact of using two rods VS the large numbers of fish commercial and tribal fisheries are alloted. Hmmm..........

The fact is it's not directly about money. It's about percentages. But.... the percentages and the games that are played with them are the self-perpetuating tools of government.

So forgive me if I see no logic in a post that says shorten your length of season if you want to use two rods. The fisheries are far more affected by poor management than two rods per person.

#213693 - 10/08/03 01:01 AM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
I've seen that same thing out on the salt ALOT! I guess if your hard up for fish then you do what you have to do. They all get the big L.

F F F
l...i...r
y..s...e
.....h....a
........n.....k

#213694 - 10/08/03 12:23 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#213695 - 10/08/03 12:35 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
starcraft tom Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville
I was pissed when californa went to a one rod rule. I troll a lot of lakes and part of my tatics is presenting what looks like a small school of bait fish. with my son or a friend on board i can put out 4 lures in a group or spread them out for different fish. a standerd set up on a trout lake would be one lure at 60ft or just under were the thermal layer is ,one just above the layer, both just ten feet or less off the rigger. The third would be at 30 ft 100 ft behind the boat and then another on a side planer 200 ft behind the boat and out to the side 30 ft. If the fish miss the deep lures they will some times see the one at thirty and hit it as they drop back from the boat. the side planer lure, always a broken back rapala, will pick up any fish that are shallow and move out of the way of the boat. I have seen fish in clear water move away from a boat about 20 ft and them move back in behind the boat after the boat moves by. the side planer put s a bait fish imataion right in their path. This set up also allowes you to find at what depth the fish are hitting, note I did not say holding. I have spent too many hours trolling were the fish are and not at were they are hitting.
another benifit is that by using differnet lures at different depths I can target macks and browns while getting some bows. I may only get one big brown in a weekend but by having lures at shallowers depths I can fill my limit with bows. that way the whole week end is not a bust.
As far as bank fishing goes I hate to sit and watch a rod do nothing. so having a spinning set up to fool with helps keep me from going stir crazy. I would like to say that at no time have I every reeled in a dead fish while dealing with multiple hook ups.
Lets be honest I love trolling becouse I get to fool around with my gear all day long. having just one rod to worry about is just not enough for me. by the way cailforna when to a $5 second rod stamp in a very short time and it was peta and the serria club that worked behind the scene to gett the one rod rule in the first place. they were hopping people would get pissed and stop fishing and for a short time they did. the number of licences sold dropped enough that Ca dept for fish and game was worrried about their buget and to help battle is they started the two rod stamp
I would be interested in seeing what it would that to get a two rod stamp going. It would mean a lot of money for projects that the eviro wacks like. Hows the saying go "show them the money" thumbs .

#213696 - 10/08/03 09:59 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Flame me if you like, but I'd be perfectly happy to pay an extra $10 to be able to use two rods.

It would put extra revenue into the WDG&F coffers which is badly needed.

I fish mostly artificials and am constantly changing lures. Being able to do so with two rods would be wonderfully efficient.

To me its not about getting a limit faster, it's the oppurtunity to try more gear in the limited time I have on the water.

I'm all for asking the WDG&F to consider a rules change to two rods in fresh and saltwater with an additional fee for the second rod.

Limits will stay the same, it's just an oppurtunity to fish more gear and increase efficiency while experimenting.

#213697 - 10/09/03 12:35 AM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
SixofFive Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Edmonds, WA
I just registered, this thread made me doit...

I agrre on the value of using 2 rods to experiment.

I was talking with Tony Floor this summer about this same topic, evidently the WDFW has approved the science of 2 rod fishing, they belive the resource is controlled by the limits and selective fishing. However the Pacific Fisheries Council will not play that card, they most like will give us this when they need to take some big away, Hold on to your 10 bucks,

#213698 - 10/09/03 12:41 AM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
chaser Offline
Returning Adult

Have you ever stopped to wonder just why the wdfw is so short on funds. Could it be that they are driving people away with all their hypocracy? Or maybe monies being diverted to the general fund? beathead

#213699 - 10/09/03 01:32 AM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
starcraft tom Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville
I forgot to mention that the two rod stamp in ca. is only good on lakes and salt not rivers.

#213700 - 10/09/03 01:44 AM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Okay, here's what we need...

You can fish a second rod if you buy a $10 stamp. This regulation will be in small print on page 683 to catch the uninformed.

You can only use it in the salt or in the tidal zone of coastal rivers. Only in areas open to salmon not listed as "endangered". This detail will be in small print on page 215.

You can only fish two rods if there are less than four people on the boat. (Don't want too many lines on one boat!)

You can't fish two rods on holidays or Sundays in the months of February, June, and August.

On second thought, I don't need a second rod!! laugh

#213701 - 10/09/03 01:47 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
chaser Offline
Returning Adult

laugh I think you REALLY need to go fishing laugh

#213702 - 10/09/03 04:30 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#213703 - 10/09/03 06:23 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Do gooders? Huh? Is that supposed to mean something?

You can see the problem already, can't you? 87 boats using multiple rods per angler. So the gamey has to check each and every boat to see if they're really a permit holder or not. Nah, it's an enforcement issue.

Am I a do-gooder now that I think your idea is bogus? wink

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#213704 - 10/09/03 07:51 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Flame me if you want but I would be happy to pay an additional $10 a year to be able to fish two rods.

I don't care about catching more fish, even thought I am a hunter-gatherer type, I release far more fish than I retain.

I'd just like the conveniece of fishing two rods with different lures/bait. Fishing mostly artificials, I like to try a lot of different gear.

I probably wouldn't fish two rods with the same bait/terminal tackle. The excitement to me is trying different stuff. If a guy wants to fish two rods with identical gear, I don't object, but I rather have the oppurtunity to use two rods to see if a cut plug ourtishes a coyote spoon on a given day.

It also seems to me a reasonable way to increase the income for WDG&F which could help in many ways to improve our fishing in Washington.

#213705 - 10/09/03 08:05 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#213706 - 10/09/03 08:46 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Posts in this thread are among the best evidence I've ever seen of the collective ignorance of anglers.

What do you want?

More fishing opportunity? YES!!

Fish two rods? YES!!

When the two are mutually exclusive options, which do you want? I BELIEVE THEY ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. IF THE AGENCIES SAY IT IS, THEN THAT'S BS!!

I've come to believe that anglers are their own worst enemy when it comes to fish management. An angler who's been fishing for somewhere between 3 days and 30 years is a fisheries management expert. And an agency bureaucrat with a degree or degrees in biology and management, and who studies and understands the laws that govern fish management is full of BS.

Those members of the public who are unable or unwilling to develop reasoned, and reasonable, arguments are always going to be the ones who are blown off when management decisions are being made.

In a post above, Smalma described a very simple concept relating to angling efficiency (two rods) and length of fishing season. Most anadromous fisheries in this state are based on harvest allocations - excluding exceptions like the huge surpluses of hatchery coho expected to the Cowlitz and Lewis this year. For a simple example, consider that a harvest allocation for a particular run is 1,000 fish, then the season is based on the expected effort (number of angler days) and catch per effort. If anglers are using two rods instead of one, the estimated catch per effort is higher, and the harvest allocation will be reached sooner. And the season will close that much sooner. A choice must be made between efficiency and opportunity. The public usually sends WDFW the message that they want more opportunity, so WDFW does what they can to accomodate that interest.

Yet, several of you said that's BS. Well, you don't have to agree with what WDFW or any other fisheries person tells you. But fish agency personnel do have to do their jobs according to the laws and policies that govern them even if you think it's BS.

I don't care if you fish with two rods or not. Heck, I made the post about sport gillnetting and blasting caps as more interesting than using a second rod. But I've tried to use this BB as an educational tool. It's a great forum for fishing ideas, from CFM's coho jigs to choices in rods, reels, lines and even where to fish - altho that requires a certain discretion. It's potentially a great place to discuss fish management concepts and details. However, that potential is severely diminished in the presence of rants that "WDFW is a bunch of BS!!" I cannot educate a fool. And unreasoned criticism sounds foolish.

I don't expect you to agree with me. Or with WDFW. Those who know me also know that I can criticize WDFW, NMFS, USFWS, and the tribes with the best of them. But I do try to make reasoned arguments and criticism. I long ago learned that the unreasoned and unreasonable are the first to be blown off by management.

Stuff I'm reading in this thread is equivilent to having 2 fish plus 2 fish equal 5 fish. That is unreasoned and unreasonable. It'll get you no where. Fast. Some of you may just be having fun on this BB, and don't really care about outcomes. Others of you might think you don't know enough about science and management to effectively contribute to a desirable outcome. I'd say, if you can type on a computer and post information on the internet, you know enough about logic to use it in your thinking and be an effective contributor to successful fish management solutions.

And, truly, I do not care how many rods you fish with.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#213707 - 10/09/03 09:04 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Do I hear the fear of desperation here?

#213708 - 10/09/03 09:07 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

CFM,

Not even close. But if I really am wasting my time posting here, I can stop.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#213709 - 10/09/03 09:27 PM Re: Fishing Two Rods (one fisherman)
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Like I said!

Do I hear the fear of desperation here?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Sidedrifter), 1124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |