Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#217347 - 11/03/03 04:37 PM Herring/Bobber rig
Fisheromen Offline
Fry

Loc: Portland, OR
Just wanted some basic instructions on how to rig 'em for chum. Never fished that way before. Also, I've got a bunch of frozen anchovies, will they substitute okay?

#217348 - 11/03/03 06:22 PM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
FOM - I went out with LtlCLEO yesterday and fished with a bobber and herring for chum. It's pretty straightforward. A float and about an 18" mooching type leader. I got to thinking that rather than fishing a whole herring, a plug cut may impart more action thus drawing more strikes. I'm not sure if anchovy would work or not, you can certainly pick up frozen herring at any Sporting Goods shop around. We used red label, not sure how important the size is. I will tell you this, when the chum hits, hang on. They go like crazy.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#217349 - 11/03/03 06:26 PM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
DL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodiville
Do you just chuck it out and let the waves add the action, or do you retreive it slowly to the boat?

-David

#217350 - 11/03/03 07:25 PM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
We just let it sit. Now, I'm no expert, I have had a grand total of 2 hookups doing this. The first took the bobber down and ran, the second kind of tilted and jiggled the bobber and then when I retrieved very slowly, I hooked up. By the way, we were fishing from shore.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#217351 - 11/03/03 07:32 PM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
Steel_header Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Stamp River . BC
Yes small anchovies work fine for me in a green head holder or without .~~~~And a dead float is works great~~~~~~I fish like four rods and just wait for the next take down !!!! thumbs

#217352 - 11/06/03 09:41 AM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
It is pretty simple.I am using a dink float about eight inches long.I tie my own leaders using 1/0 gami spread about five inches apart on an 18" leader.This leader is 15' test.On this leader I use just enough split shot to make the dink stand SRAIGHT UP AND DOWN.I believe this to be a key to dink floating.I hook the first hook through the bottom of the jaw up through the center of its eyes.The bottom hook I pierce through the center of the belly,leaving a couple of inches of leader between the fish and the hook.This hook is the one that hooks the fish.With chums it is usualy right on the end of the kype.

I use green label and am unsure if size is realy an issue with staging chums.Ed left me some red label and the caght fish too.{Ed;I went down monday and spent the day.To young boys were down there also.They were watching me catching fish and were getting jelous.I tied on two bobbers and put on an herring rig.I left them with the rest of that herring.Thanks as it was fun listening to there exitement climbing up the hill!

I do believe that depth can be an issue.Higher in the water column is better than down.

I run a 10'6 'rod strung with eight pound test stren to keep it fun.

just how I do it!

#217353 - 11/06/03 12:57 PM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
10-1/2' rods (currently building a 13-1/2' for next year) Spinning reel or levelwind loaded with 20# power pro/fireline, or 10# mono. 12#-15# leader. Westcoast float-1oz or 1-1/2oz depending on water conditions. Bobber stop & bead above float, also bobber stop & beads below float (stop to save float in case the line breaks). 1oz or 1-1/2oz mooching style sinker with bead chain on leader end. 4' leader. If gulls are pestering the bait I tie in a 2' piece of leader with a 1/4oz sliding sinker and bead. Tie in another bead chain swivel, then a 2'-3' leader to the hooks. The in-line sliding sinker gets the bait down away from the gulls quicker. 1/0 chrome or black Gami's tied 4"-5" apart. I use small bait (4"-5") rigged whole. Fresh killed bait is best, but good frozen also works. Brine the bait overnight in non-iodized salt, powdered milk, and a little Mrs Stewarts blueing. To rig I turn the bait upside down and start the top hook first in the bottom of the head just behind the "V", bringing the hook point out just in front of the eyes. Pull the 2nd hook thru the first hooks hole. Bring the top hook thru the top of the eye sockets and pull the bottom hook after it. Try not to puncture the eyes. Rigging this way "sews" the gills shut. Set the top hook about an inch back of the head along the lateral line. Start the bottom hook behind the dorsal fin and a little lower than the lateral line. Run it all the way thru the bait, and pull it out the other side. Ideally it will dangle back about even with the baits tail. gently pull on the leader to get the slack out between the top hook and the nose of the herring. How far back on the bait that you set the top hook will determine how much bend and spin that the bait has.

Works for me!

#217354 - 11/07/03 03:59 PM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
TideGuy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Federal Way
how far between the float and the herring when fishing?

COuld this be done drifting at Posession?

I saw 3-4 chum jumping there last Saturday by the east green bell

#217355 - 11/07/03 04:47 PM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
Anyfishldo Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
Does this method work good in the rivers?

#217356 - 11/08/03 09:24 AM Re: Herring/Bobber rig
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Herring and floats work well in the tidewater infuenced portions of rivers. Above tidewater shrimp & eggs produce a lot better under the float.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |