Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#218263 - 11/10/03 05:02 PM Times Article
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Anyone seen this article? Sounds like a move in the right direction.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/fishing/2001786788_fish09.html

#218264 - 11/10/03 05:37 PM Re: Times Article
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

"The $46 million buyout is a life-changing move for those who live by a struggling industry's changing tides. On the West Coast, owners of 92 boats will be paid an average of $497,000 to permanently remove their vessels from fishing, starting Dec. 5. The plan is aimed at cutting the West Coast trawler fleet by 50 percent. "

Hey, would someone be willing to pay me half a million to quit engineeing... The only projects we are engineering are things cause more pollution and hurt the environment anyway...

#218265 - 11/10/03 05:55 PM Re: Times Article
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
So are you saying this won't work or its not an equitable solution? I haven't many other solutions that are keeping both sides (commercials and non-commercials) happy.

#218266 - 11/10/03 06:07 PM Re: Times Article
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Let me get this straight!

You buy a "license" to commercially fish, knowing full well that there are lots of "risk" to this trade, and then you think that it's OK for the "public" to by back whatever risk that you took when you "purchased" that license?

Maybe they should purchase back all "contractors" licenses next, because the contractors all thought that they could get "rich" building new houses, even though the housing market was on a down hill slide!
What is wrong with this picture????

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#218267 - 11/10/03 06:10 PM Re: Times Article
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that buying out the commercials is the only sollution... it just seems that a half a million dollars is an awful lot for a dying business... (please reallize that I have no idea how much a fishing boat and net is worth maybe 500k is equitable?) I know of profitable businesses that aren't worth 500k....

I just hope they dont give the boats and nets to the indians so they can replace the market share that is lost....

#218268 - 11/10/03 06:11 PM Re: Times Article
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I guess no one likes federal buy-outs, in the end its our money, but it seems like the thing to do. If you let the entire industry go broke (or half an industry) the impact and payout of $$ just take other forms--i.e., unemployment benefits, communities going non-viable, social bumps, etc. This way, there is both some relief and fisheries management.

Piper, you must have some expensive engineering tools. I doubt the boat-owners that actually own their boats got a half mill.

#218269 - 11/10/03 06:15 PM Re: Times Article
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by obsessed:
Piper, you must have some expensive engineering tools. I doubt the boat-owners that actually own their boats got a half mill.
wink

I think a half mill is fair to remove some toxic Lead pencils from the environment...

#218270 - 11/10/03 06:17 PM Re: Times Article
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
i hear that the other boats will be allowed to catch more though! will it be just welfare if the other boats have increased limits? seems like it wouldnt make a difference unless other boats are kept to the same limits

#218271 - 11/10/03 06:19 PM Re: Times Article
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would also hope there is some rule that is added to the books that these licenses will not be reissued again if the fish stocks come back...

I can just see a rebound in the ocean conditions and 10 years from now and reissueing all the licences that were just bought out.

#218272 - 11/10/03 06:22 PM Re: Times Article
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Well

Does that mean that we should buy back all the people stocks, who bought bad stocks in the stock market too?

I am having a little problem with how this type of logic! may work!

What is it that people do not understand about RISK??????????????????????????????

Cowlitzfisherman

#218273 - 11/10/03 06:39 PM Re: Times Article
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Piper - Let's add one more sentence to your quote...
also from the article of course.

"The $46 million buyout is a life-changing move for those who live by a struggling industry's changing tides. On the West Coast, owners of 92 boats will be paid an average of $497,000 to permanently remove their vessels from fishing, starting Dec. 5. The plan is aimed at cutting the West Coast trawler fleet by 50 percent. Now, those who stay in their fisheries could see their catch quotas double, starting next year."

How is that for a novel approach to saving the fish?

Me thinks the money will go to the banks for paying off their debt.

"For the fishermen who will leave their boats behind, it's a way to make a graceful exit, one "that wasn't available to them before," said Pete Leipzig, executive director of the Fisherman's Marketing Association, a West Coast trawler-industry group in Eureka, Calif. "This gives them an opportunity to sell their business with dignity and (keep) some part of their life savings intact.""

At least now there might be loan money available for other ventures that might contribute to the local residents welfare.

#218274 - 11/10/03 06:41 PM Re: Times Article
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
It's not entirely palatable when you look at it as someone getting a free ride. I look at it as its more beneficial to put the money into buying back boats and allowing stressed fish stocks to recover, then allowing small towns to go bust or bankrupt, with the fish losing out as well. And the fish would lose, because without a reduction in fleet-size, people will try to eeek out a living for as long as possible, scaping the bottom, until its a desert. And although I'm not an economist, I imagine there are some significant costs associated with industries going belly-up.

Maybe if all those who didn't sell their dot.bomb stocks by 2001 were congregated in the same towns, the Feds would have bailed them out, as well!

#218275 - 11/10/03 06:48 PM Re: Times Article
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#218276 - 11/10/03 06:58 PM Re: Times Article
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
For once CFM and I are in complete agreement. I see NOTHING that says there will be any less fish caught. Only that those who stay will be able to catch more. I have seen similar buybacks in B.C. salmon licneses and what happend was the remaining guys bought bigger boats and caught more fish!

This stinks. If the fish are in trouble, it's primarily becasue these guys wiped out the stocks. Let them quit if the business is failing.

Next thing you know we will be giving oil companies tax breaks becasue they pumped all the oil out of their wells. Oh yeah, we already do that. How about buying out timber companies once they have logged all the trees.?

#218277 - 11/10/03 07:00 PM Re: Times Article
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
I think the buyout deal is a cop out but probably has to be done. Retire the licenses and no more are issued to take their place.

To me this is a paradox. The commercial fishermen are both arsonist and fireman. They create the crisis by overfishing and become sympathetic heroes for going broke after they have depleted the stocks so bad they can no longer make a living. So we let them start the fire then we give them a big reward for putting it out. Kind of a joke if you think about it.

Why not give WDFW some of the 49 million and let them close the seasons to all netting? They get the best of both worlds.

#218278 - 11/10/03 07:23 PM Re: Times Article
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Maybe the government should be considering a "buy-back" from all sport fishermen in rivers and seas! Our investment is not as large as the "commercials", but neither is our profit!

Cowlitzfisherman

#218279 - 11/10/03 07:41 PM Re: Times Article
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
What a load pollock!.

First off what does fleet size have to do with anything when it's a quota based system?

50% of the fleet means what, Number of boats not capacity or ability.

It is common knowledge that the efficiency of the trawlers is the issue not the numbers of vessels. The numbers would only be an issue if there were no quotas and it was a open ended season.

Would they put a lock on the ability and the capacity of the remaining fleet to produce and then reduce the quota by 50%. My bet is they would keep everything the same and the remaining boats would contine to increase capacity and abilty and catch the same number of fish.

I wopuld like to know why it is a protected industry. Why do we bail out any business is counter to darwinian nature of capitalism.

the truth is the fish farms have taken all the profit out of raping the oceans for all but a few big players. This just makes it easier for them

#218280 - 11/10/03 07:44 PM Re: Times Article
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
If they have a "buy out", then anyone that only gillnets "parttime", should be the first ones bought out. Once bought out, then they should not be allowed to ever buy back in. This hasn't always been the case.....

Less gillnets is good for the resource, no gillnets would be even better!!!! Old ways die hard but die they should.

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#218281 - 11/10/03 07:53 PM Re: Times Article
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
There buying the boats NOT the licenses. So no change in the numbers of fish HARVESTED.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#218282 - 11/10/03 08:12 PM Re: Times Article
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Quote:

"I would like to know why it is a protected industry. Why do we bail out any business is counter to darwinian nature of capitalism.

The truth is the fish farms have taken all the profit out of raping the oceans for all but a few big players. This just makes it easier for them"
Well said! thumbs

Jerry, that gray beard is making you smarter than you think! laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 676 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |