Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#223157 - 12/19/03 04:36 PM Re: which boat to buy
steelheaddude Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Oh you dont want a boat that big,, What about the rivers.. This is the boat for you.. I can even deliver it today wink
WOOLDRIDGE SPORT

#223158 - 12/19/03 06:38 PM Re: which boat to buy
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I'd go with the almar.... I've seen topwater's boat and it is sweet! He's on the board occasionaly, but has his own website if you search"flyfishing neah bay" then locate topwater charters. He'll have some pix there.

I have a 20' hewescraft searunner which i use out there all the time. If I had 50k to spend would have ot the almar.

#223159 - 12/19/03 11:59 PM Re: which boat to buy
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
I know a guy who just bought a GW about 25', upgrading from a 22'. The new(used) one he bought in florida, saving a ton af $$. Just a thought.

#223160 - 12/20/03 12:27 AM Re: which boat to buy
Robyns77 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edmonds
GRADY WHITE!!! Just as nice as a Whaler if not better and not as much $$$.

#223161 - 12/20/03 08:14 AM Re: which boat to buy
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
I'm glad to see that most pretty much agree with me. However one thing to keep in mind. Pros and cons of fiberglass and aluminum. Overall weight of an aluminum hull proportion to size is obviously lighter than fg. But weight has its pros and cons. Weight affects your ride, fuel consumption, engine options, wear to your tow vehicle, ect. Alum has more durbility but usually hull failure in one is at the welds themselfs. Seen it in a Woolridge.
FG is molded in a jig but tell that to a guy who hits the dead-head @30+ knots. My old man hit one in the straits years back, accually in his sounder, and didn't even have it inspected by almar. It probably would have been a good idea, anyway but if he had hit it with a fiberglass boat, who knows what kinda damage it would have sustained. One of the reasons FG outshines Alum is the quietness of the ride and Alum's get hot to the touch in direct sunlight with warm weater. Also the nicks that Alum inevetably gets really does a number on fish lines. The maintenance of an Alum is so much less than FG and the riliability of that tow rig is gonna be increased.
Merry X-mas. Stay far away from BL's and don't fall out of any boat, good or not.

#223162 - 12/21/03 12:56 PM Re: which boat to buy
Fish-N-Chicks Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
thanks for all the tips i think i am going to go with the almar !!!!

#223163 - 12/21/03 03:56 PM Re: which boat to buy
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

I currently am a Trophy owner and love the boat. When I do upgrade though I will be getting the 25sailfish. That is one sweet machine. Like a few above said look around a little and try Florida, you can save some big$$ by going down there.

Trophy is a good boat, still one of the most popluar/best Bayliners on the market. Pretty funny listening to all the bashing of them. I would love to see everyones picks of there old trophys that they thought were such junk... Years/modles etc. Think it could be how you take care of what you have? If ya treat something like sh!t that's what your gonna end up with... The new 2359 is a nice machine also, wouldn't hurt my feelings to have either one.

To answer glass or alum??? I personally like glass. I am out in all kinds of weather with the wife and daughter so the glass is a little more comfy for them.

Good luck.

#223164 - 12/21/03 04:00 PM Re: which boat to buy
budnate Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell wa
Question for you guys, where did you find reasonable shipping to get a boat up here to Wa, I have done cars at about 1000.00 to 1500.00 from coast to coast, but have not found anyone that wants to mess with a boat on a trailer...??????

Thnx Bud.

#223165 - 12/22/03 09:58 AM Re: which boat to buy
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Seing a tophy split like eggshell tied off to a coast guard rollover gave me chills. Finding out that one died and another was lucky enough to be saved give me chills evertime I see a trophy in the ocean or making a bar crossing. They are popular and so are ford trucks, but not because they're the safest. Saftey is #1 on the water. We don't have gills, them pea-brained things we spend all that money pursuing do. I don't deny that Bayliners have improved over the years. But their reputation speaks wonders, being that in my boat purchasing and operating experience, you basicly pay for what you get. 50k for a 2359 or 50k something else that is used by basically most ever govermental agency in our country. WDFW, NOAA, and numerous county Police departments in our state alone. I never have seen a fleet of bayliner charterboats either, no less one being used as a ceritified tow vessel. Heck, Idaho fish and game uses at least one Almar in Hell's Canyon on the Snake River.
By the way, any model of sailfish (GW) is without any doubts an impressive boat of any size or material in this opinionated guy's opinion. But that's just mine. I'm glad to see the choice is anything but a bayliner. Call it a vandetta. I've got more to say about them things. And I'm not the only one.
I hope any one who has read these posts and is considering buying or selling a bayliner takes into account what has been said here. I have never been so serious about posting any thing on the internet. I wish I had some photos of busted, and in one case, a flaming, and partially burnt trophy, and other bayliners. My biggest spite tward all balyliners though is the big express models. The only hard top I've seen flex due to hull stress. The only hull I've seen break in a sling launch.
Ford may have blamed firesomething tires for killing its consumers (of Explorers), but why did they recomend 26psi in those same tires anyway?
I haven't a clue. I do know all my tires got more psi than 26 on the freeway.
I've never had a blowout that caused a rollover and I've never been abord any vessel when a hull split like an eggshell, from sea conditions or otherwise.
At least shop around before you make decision on a boat purchase and I hope all of this influences at least someone else from risking themselves and others in a Bayliner, including a trophy. For my money, the odds are better in most anything else.

#223166 - 12/22/03 12:01 PM Re: which boat to buy
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

So, because you saw one trophy split they are all bad? Would you be saying the same of GW if you saw that? I guess the charter owner in OR who got a bunch of people killed last year has a POS boat too? If we go along with you analogy and I see a Land Rover Roll is a POS also?

You don't like Trophy's that's you deal. I've taken mine out in some big stuff and have felt very safe in them. There are more trophys out there then there are most other boats so just going by plain odds you will see more of them with issue. Now if you look at percentages I will put money down that they are in line with other manufactureers...

Now if you really want some usefull info check this review site out boat safety

AS far as your bashing Trophy I can also bet that every single boat has a story just as the one you are so heated about. But crucifying the thing because of your incident is not a accurate representation on the boat. BTW, how long did you own your trophy when this happened?

#223167 - 12/22/03 12:46 PM Re: which boat to buy
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I probably have as much if not more time in an Almar then anyone here, all I can say is, AWESOME boats, I run them hard 10 hrs a day for 90-100 days every summer in conditions from mill pond to 6-8 ft seas, they take alot of abuse and just keep going, there are only a handful of glass boats that I would put to this kind of test and expect them to pass, Bayliner (new or old) is not 1 of them.

#223168 - 12/22/03 12:57 PM Re: which boat to buy
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
I think each boater needs to consider what kind of water am I going to be fishing in most of the time. If you almost exclusively go in lakes and the Sound, which is an inland waterway, I would think that the Bayliner Trophy is more than adequate, especially given the improvements to their boats. If you're a charter boat captain going out over the Bar at Westport or going out in the open ocean at Neah Bay, then you may want to spend a few more $$'s on your boat. At the end of the day, $$'s drive most boat purchasing decisions for most boaters anyway.

#223169 - 12/22/03 01:44 PM Re: which boat to buy
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

You are correct. The precentages are when you see way more of one particular type of machinery you will most likely see it fail just as way often. Maybe you misunderstood me. I wasn't refering to just one instance, but multiple. And on the water saftey is definately not just your epuipment, it begins with common sense and so on. I am not judging or criticizing people in particular, but I said what I said, not because I own fine vehicles that score high as status symbols, but because I know what has happened again and again.
I'm glad you or anyone feels safe it whatever boat the own especially in rugged sea conditions. And the person who just posted previously is probably a competent boat owner and operator. If you don't have confidence on the water that you don't belong there. I just simply want to be clear on my one point which is the numbers or percentages... Accually the ratio of structual hull failure to the whatever the number of which ever kind of popular vessel that leaves my home port, astoundingly, lead me to post what I posted. Some, if not most of us have been in Big stuff. Even in canoes, ferries whatever. Experience tells us each to form on opinion, and there's probably a considerable amount of bayliner owners who have read my posts on this topic. Some might be offended and I apoligize, honestly. My opinion is and will stay unchanged until those things track record changes in the future.
The coast guard has the stats, the exact numbers. Ask them their opinion. Write the seattle office for a request for info and you'll get it. Or simply ask an experienced crewmember who serves aboard a rollover or any of the resue boats at any of our coastal ports. I already know the jist of their response, because I've asked a few of them myself. Ask them if they'd own a BL if there was something else at the same price and size and suited the same needs. Keep your confidence on the water. Bayliner, Almar, Grady, or surfboard. Common sense too.
As for the Tacky Too, and her crew,tragedy, and in my opinion, over loaded for the bar conditions.
I was on the water that day off La Push and I heard about it over the phone on the water as it hit us through the media. And that was a pretty rugged day up here. But bar crossing with a rapid ebb and ouside sea conditions made it too much for that 32' vessel with that large crew. I don't know all the details but with the info I got, I think it was ultimately human error. I don't get much exposure to media on the peninsula, Internet and a cell phone and two VHF's, a single side band and a CB. No TV or paper, and minimal time in the summer to use any of those accept the radios. Leaving Tillimook bay is tricky some times and that Skipper could of probably done it blind folded. To my understanding he was very experienced.
(Pmartin. Never have owned, and I can't ever see owning one dispite the modest price of the used ones.)

#223170 - 12/22/03 02:13 PM Re: which boat to buy
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

I agree with you AkK. If I were fishing the conditions you are fishing I think (I know) I'd go with a different boat myself. But, As to what the original post was about and like Jeff'd said Trophy is a good quality option for the sound.

I guess I took some exception to someone commin' in and slamin' my baby when I love her so... Gotta stand up for my girl!! She's been so good to me beer cool

#223171 - 12/22/03 02:40 PM Re: which boat to buy
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Nope, not anybody's baby. I know the feeling. I know the feeling a boat being like your baby. Only my favorite centimental boat was not ever owned by me. It's my old man's 18 footer. Its a workhorse tin can and in that little thing is were I realized I'll chase fish forever. Been in too big of water and probably way too far offshore but with the four stroke on it now, he can run chelan from south to north and back and have 3 quaters of his 50+ gallon fuel reserve left. And if anybody ever talked down on the good ol' "Paid 4" than they'd seem pretty ignorant to me. Good luck fishing.

#223172 - 12/23/03 01:17 AM Re: which boat to buy
yelloweye Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I just have to jump on the Bayliner Bashing Bandwagon. I know of 2 boats that sank during halibut season this year, one at Neah and one at PA. They were both Bayliners. Listen to the distress calls to the Coast Guard. Its almost always a Bayliner. You can also ask the owner of "Fecal Matter" aka Piece of [Bleeeeep!]. He has a small Trophy and I see him at Neah every year. If it walks like a duck, and talks like at duck........

My humble 20' Formula Vee has given me 9 super years on the water; from water skiing in central Oregon, to springers on the Columbia, blackmouth in the Sound, to lings, butts, and salmon off the coast. The boat will take a lot more abuse than I am willing to tolerate, and most folks think we fish in some ugly conditions. I am not willing to put my life at risk in a boat that is known to fail. I'll stick with the Alumaweld until I can upgrade to the Seasport, but I would also take an Almar, Grady, or Arima.

Good Luck

#223173 - 12/23/03 11:53 AM Re: which boat to buy
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
My grandpa bought a deep water wooldridge this year and that boat is awesome. It is a jem out in the swell. He has the platform off the back with a 150 outboard and it is plenty of power. Its the 21' model and it fishes four of us great. I would imagine that with your higher budget you could get into the bigger model and be even more exstatic.

Good luck
Glow

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 486 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |