THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#224139 - 12/30/03 06:14 PM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
How did LaPush ever become part of topic?
Thanks for the responses.
By the way Topwater, still got your canner and some tuna for you!

#224140 - 12/30/03 06:27 PM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
What it boils down to is if you've got enough boat, Neah or La Push are hard to beat. If you're a small boat guy, Sekiu (or Pillar) is hard to beat.

#224141 - 12/30/03 06:35 PM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Bubs..although I am extremely critical of tribal abuses in hunting and fishing I am with Ron. Neah Bay has cleaned up its act alot since I first visited. The Big Salmon crew has been great the last two years and everyone around there was polite and helpful . The marina is first class. There is still work to be done by the tribe to convince members not to steal from visitors. It is sad to still see warnings at the motel about not leaving things unattended. In 2003 it was gas cans and coolers (with beer) that were the booty of choice by the thieves. It used to be that you could not leave your boat unattended if you wanted your electronics and downriggers to still be there after you walk away. At night you can count on run ins with the Makah police by crazy kids chasing around in cars on the 3 or 4 blocks of city streets...All in all it is a great place.

#224142 - 12/30/03 07:01 PM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have moored my boat there and parked countless times without any problems. Now dont get me wrong, i dont leave the electronics sitting out, or rods laying around the deck, but i woudn't do that anywhere. I really think that things are pretty good there as far as vandalism/theft go. I'll bet sekiu is worse simply because there are no officers patrolling.... I see them every time I'm at Neah. Topwater is the expert on this area, he has a charter there... what do you think Chris?

#224143 - 12/30/03 09:03 PM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
WRT Neah Bay and small boats:

I'm thinking of towing my 18' glass cuddy to Neah Bay first week in May. Is there worthwhile sheltered water that I can hide out in, or is the whole area pretty rough? I'm not worried about seasick, just safety. For the May trip, we'd be bottom fishing. Would I be better off sticking to Sekiu?

Thanks, and regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#224144 - 12/30/03 09:13 PM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

I think, as being that I have been in the charter industry in Neah Bay for 10 years and my wife Bubs for 7 of those 10 years, and residing there 5 months out of each year, that your property is at least as safe there as it would be in Sekiu. Actually, I had four rods/reels stolen when living at Olsen's last year (2002) but luckily there was witnesses to the theft and I was able to handle the situation myself. I was staying at Olsen's most of that summer. They were accually tourist fisherman if you can belive that, in their 20's I'd guess. I got 'em back within 15 minutes after they were taken.
Chris and I fish with each other in our free time and I'd bet he'd say the same.
The cooler thefts are a tradition amongst the kids on the rez. Apperently, that tradition has gone on for years. Just a few dumb kids won't let it go, but I haven't had anything stolen yet. Strange things happen to kids when they need to keep themselves amused I guess.

#224145 - 12/30/03 10:03 PM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
topwater Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
theft is not a major problem at neah bay. i have had nothing stolen from my boat, and imo most of the thefts of tackle on the marina is by transient sport fishermen. i think this because the docks with more long-term moorage clients see next to no thefts, while short-term docks see the tiny bit of thievery that goes on. i feel more comfortable with my boat being moored at neah bay than either of the other ports mentioned.

as for the coolers, don't be stupid. i don't have much sympathy for those who fragrently disobey tribal law. show some respect, drink privately, and don't leave it out for young people to get at.

you know, i hear about problems people have with the locals at neah bay, and from my experience they are all by the types of people that have run ins regardless of where they are. i haven't had problems with the neah bay locals, or the clallam bay locals, or forks, etc.

i think most of the talk about theft comes from those who have a financial interest in people not fishing at neah bay and want them to fish elsewhere.

chris

#224146 - 12/30/03 10:13 PM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
I know it happens, but I've moored my boat at the Coho marina in Sekiu probably 50 times over the last 20 years and never lost a thing to theft. I have, however, dropped a pair of pliers and a nice filet knife over the side there, and once saw a guy jump off a boat and miss the dock...

#224147 - 12/31/03 12:58 AM Re: Sekiu or Neah Bay?
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

One of my clients realized that he didn't have his fishing license this past summer while onboard and was ready to leave the marina before dark with us. He said he'd be right back.
Then I heard a loud splash.
I looked off the stern an there he was in the water. I plucked him out ofcourse
He took a left turn in the slip a little too early and took a swim before he made it to the main walkway.
I had some spare clothes for him and he gladly accepted.
We went fishing, he had a great time, and he returned my clothes via mail this fall.
Good guy. He laughed it off and I look forward to seing him this year.
Why is it that people like to swim in the Stait of Juan De Fuca anyway? Its COLD!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |