Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#225276 - 01/01/04 11:06 PM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
The wife and I very rarely eat beef (after this mad cow thing will no longer eat beef) we eat buffalo that isn't given all the chemicals and crap that store bought beef contains. Though its a little more costly I like it better than beef. laugh

#225277 - 01/02/04 01:56 AM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
for those of you who haven't heard, not one person has died from mad cow disease here in the US. you would be putting yourself in more danger just by getting behind the wheel and driving to the grocery store.
so go ahead and throw out all the beef in your freezer and lock your doors, the media will tell you when its safe to go outside again rolleyes

#225278 - 01/02/04 10:23 AM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Just another case of over reaction....."Let's make a law."...... Some people spend way too much time listening to Channels 4,5, 7.....the home of super sensationalism. (Can we just have the facts, please?)
I'm not an advocate of eating diseased cattle, but how does that equate to ambulatory? A broken leg certainly doesn't affect meat quality. And I certainly am not an FDA inspector....but I'll just bet they are doing this... rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes .....at least the ones not looking to just make their job easier. The "look good at all cost politicians" are a joke.
No doubt most cattlemen are like Spawnout....when they go down...they're coyote meat. I seriously doubt that anyone drags these downers onto the cattle trucks. It would make no sense to have a downer cow take up as much room as two heathy cows because it needed to sprawl out. Come on.
When one of the cattle go down in the pasture across my field (not my animals) the owner drags the carcass over to the tree line. The first time I saw this done I thought, "Aw Crap! Boy is that going to stink!" Later that same day, the buzzards started arriving and for three or four days there were maybe 20 birds with their wings spread each morning soaking up the early morning sun. Then they left. Never smelled a thing....they picked that thing clean. I was amazed.
ahhhhhh back to fishing beer

#225279 - 01/02/04 10:56 AM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Quote:
Originally posted by Fun5Acres:
Just another case of over reaction....."Let's make a law.". (Can we just have the facts, please?)

I seriously doubt that anyone drags these downers onto the cattle trucks. It would make no sense to have a downer cow take up as much room as two heathy cows because it needed to sprawl out. Come on.

Okay, here are the facts as reported by the U.S. Government. Approximatly 130,000 cows per year that are too sick to stand make it into the U.S. food supply. (I suspect in many cases they were able to stand when loaded into the truck but became too ill to stand before the end of the trip. Often the cattle are hauled long distances.)

Now I admit that 130,000 is small number considering the total amount of old dairy cows slaughtered each year, but its a number that we could easily eliminate, were it not for politicians who STOPPED an attempt to ban the practice last year.

No a just becuse a cow can't stand doesn't mean it is sick, but it sure as hell could be . This one was. Yes, I am for a law that says we don't feed sick cows to the public and another that says we test cows that appear to be sick BEFORE we send the meat off to the public. I do not think that is an over reaction.

Apparently we NEED to tell folks that farmed salmon are fed a natural substance to color their meat, but we don't need to tell consumers, "This old worn out dairy cow was too sick to stand up when we slaughtered it." bon apetite!

#225280 - 01/02/04 11:19 AM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
MCD = PMS...GOOD ONE...When I first heard the news about the mad cow deal I immediately had a picture in my mind of the sign I threaten to put up at work:

DANGER..COW CROSSING....Now the MAD COW is so perfect I can't stand it. I don't think women generally like to be referred to as COWS though.... Especially the ones with the hyphenated last names....Help me out here AuntyM...Am I right on this? So I bet being referred to as having mad cow disease might be over the line....Ya think?

#225281 - 01/02/04 11:21 AM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
One more comment.....
I suspect that most don't know that cattlemen are not allowed to give their cattle antibiotics that could cure their "disease".
Good thing we aren't cannibals.....I'd never pass the FDA regs for consumption. slap

#225282 - 01/02/04 01:22 PM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
Looks like a few people have a that could never happen to me mentality well I hope it never does happen to you or any of your family. Myself I dont care to be the first in the U.S to be affected by this disease or eat meat with a bunch of chemicals and crap that shouldnt be in it in the first place.

#225283 - 01/02/04 02:36 PM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#225284 - 01/02/04 03:21 PM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
Bank of Duvall Offline
Smolt

Loc: Duvall
I amazed that there's so little being said about Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease (CJD) and the mad cow variant that infects so many deer and elk IN THE UNITED STATES. Here's a couple of quotes from the BBC story:

".........A farm in the mountains of Nevada may hold a key to the puzzle of Mad Deer disease.

The farm's owner, a cowboy called Jim Koepke, died suddenly from Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease (CJD), an illness very similar to both BSE and the Mad Deer variant.

.....Jim Koepke was the third deer hunter to die in the last two years from CJD.

....But in Colorado, where as many as one in five deer and elk now has the disease, the authorities are urging caution. "

#225285 - 01/02/04 08:01 PM Re: Another reason to eat more fish
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

WOW! eek

That is indeed frightening news CFM. Makes you wonder about farms that feed elk thru the winter... wouldn't that be something if it turned out ground up beef scraps were put into that feed.

Thanks, but I'll stick to fish for now!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |