LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#225686 - 01/01/04 08:19 PM Can steelhead see pink?
floatandjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
I have read articles in magazines about studies done on the way steelhead see colors. I keep hearing that steelhead can't see pink, but I wonder how that is possible since it is one of the best colors to sucker them with. If they can't see pink, then what does the color pink look like to them? I have also heard rumors that fish can't feel pain either. Is there any truth to this. If you stuck a hook in the lip of any other living creature on earth, I'm sure that they would feel pain. So why doesn't a fish? If they can't feel pain, then how do you explain why a steelhead will sometimes jump instantly after being hooked? I don't think it is because the hook in their lip feels good.

#225687 - 01/01/04 09:13 PM Re: Can steelhead see pink?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Why would they not be able to see pink? I have never heard that. While I have not seen studies about salmonids, there are well documented studies on largemouth bass that show that they have much finer color resolution than humans.

Pink is just white with a tinge of blood to it. That would be evolutionarily useful for fish to be able to discern. So I'm betting they can see it just fine. They see my pink jigs pretty well, at least.

#225688 - 01/01/04 09:13 PM Re: Can steelhead see pink?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
The color "pink", in a steelhead eyes may not be the same color that you or I see as the color "pink" as. It may just be a shade of gray, or some other color that they recognize as a food source or it could just be a color that really pisses them off.

Remember, a steelheads brain is only the size of a "pee", so the amount of pain that they may feel is most likely very limited. Why do you jump sometimes when someone makes a noise or grabs you from behind when you are not ready for it? You don't feel any "pain", but you still "jump" don't you? laugh

If pain was a big factor, why would they (steelhead and salmon) let bears, or seals grab them and bite them and yet they just keep on going until they get to wherever their headed?

I don't believe that cold blooded creatures have the same nervous system as a warm blooded creature does, and that may also have an additional effect on how much pain they can feel.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#225689 - 01/01/04 10:12 PM Re: Can steelhead see pink?
havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
earlier this last year there was a post dated on 4/30 that had links to several articles about fish and pain.

#225690 - 01/01/04 11:52 PM Re: Can steelhead see pink?
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Just to add, since there's these topics about color, and a fish's sight. (chartruse/pink)
I have read a number of articles about color appearence under water and fishes eyesight as well.
I've been more so concerned myself with the contrast any certain color gives than the actual color of my offering itself.
An example would be that I've used black in low light and or reduced water vis and it's produced, not just with steelies but with all sorts of species.
Another examlpe would be a predatory fish looking up the lit sky of dawn and seing a black silhouette skitter by, and boom.
Even though whatever is skittering is blue, green, purple, red, or any thing that shows as contrasting with the back ground, is still gonna apear as black, atleast as I'd imagine it.
I totally agree that pink is a very productive for steel, as it can be for coho in the salt and even offshore species in Hawaii. I think it's very possible that the contast that pink gives off in certain situations can trigger fish to strike it, not necessarily because they can see, or like pink.
In a river situation I could believe this is similarly relavent in certain ways, especially since steelhead, bite mostly out of reaction as its target is drifting on by, and seldomly examine what they pick up before they strike.
Maybe, this might shed some light on the subject. (No pun intended)
Good question?
Good Fishing.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |