Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#225720 - 01/02/04 12:37 AM float techniques
r Offline
Alevin

so what is your favorite thing to use under a float? i would have to say a jig or eggs. havent been fishn so i figure ill try to find something new to try next time im out + itll give me something to tie up while i watch football

#225721 - 01/02/04 02:44 AM Re: float techniques
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I tend to lean towards a jig or pink worm, but one technique that is common in B.C. and almost never used here is a spin er. An Indiana type spinner can be effective under a float. Rig it like any other terminal gear and let it go. If you can hold back on the float just a bit the blades will spin. Even when free drifting the blades will flutter and sometimes that can be very attractive to steelhead.

#225722 - 01/02/04 02:50 AM Re: float techniques
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
when I am not throwing jigs for silvers I like using a float with herring. laugh

#225723 - 01/02/04 12:27 PM Re: float techniques
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
I like sand shrimp or prawns (raw or cooked) for fresh fish, and eggs for fish that have been around a while. If that doesn't work out come the jigs, or tiny Dick Nites, or size 0 Mepps.

Micro -- Don't get me started on float fishing herring in the salt!!! Off the Whidby beaches, or motor mooching along the kelp beds. Absolute favorite....

#225724 - 01/02/04 12:31 PM Re: float techniques
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Wolverine:

We are all ears. PLEASE tell us about float fishing herring off Whidby beaches and near kelp beds.

#225725 - 01/02/04 01:25 PM Re: float techniques
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
The KID I took steelheading earlier this week said that he talked to some guys on the bank that were using jigs tipped with bear meat. When I asked if he was sure they weren't pulling his leg, he said he had seen it first hand. So, I suggested he try tipping his jig with some of the sausage from his left-over Forks Cafe omelet that he had doggie bagged. Guess his hunger got the better of him before he could find out if it worked though. Anyway, in two days we get him hooked into 13 fish his first time out and of those only 3 are landed, but in 5 minutes these clowns had him utterly convinced that if we had brought along bear meat too we would have done even better. Lord, help me. rolleyes

Now I'm no expert on this bobber fishing but my son-in-law is from Mississippi and he tells me that they favor dynamite below their floats. Says it works real good in the cricks and ponds and is equally effective for crappie, bass and cats. Usually clears out the snakes too.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#225726 - 01/02/04 02:08 PM Re: float techniques
RDK Offline
Alevin

Loc: puyallup
Hay, Mooch can you get that bead meat at Sportco ?

#225727 - 01/02/04 02:16 PM Re: float techniques
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I once fished live herring uder a bobber with a little lead to keep the herring down. We where fishing off the beach at the Bait Box next to Possesion. There is a place there that a guy raises herring. We didn't catch any but we did see some other people catch a few.

#225728 - 01/02/04 02:20 PM Re: float techniques
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
RDK,
As a matter of fact, I think Bill Herzog still keeps a reserved batch in the back for their "special" clients. But you have to speak to him personally and use the special password "bobber down" while you wink three times with your right eye.
Don't tell anyone else though. wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#225729 - 01/02/04 02:43 PM Re: float techniques
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
I have to agree with some of these guys about the live herring. Used to fish a float, 2oz egg sinker, swivel and a live herring off some seattle area piers during the summer for Kings. With some success too.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 944 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |