Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#225859 - 01/02/04 06:09 PM Fishing with spoons
floatandjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
I am not new to steelhead fishing. I mainly am only good at drift fishing and float fishing, however. I would like to learn how to fish spoons effectively, but I'm not sure what kind of water to look for. Also, which spoons work best in any givin situations?

Any advice is very appreciated!

#225860 - 01/02/04 06:12 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
spoonman Offline
Parr

Loc: kent,wa
Spoon Fishing by Herzog is all you need

#225861 - 01/02/04 06:18 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
I love to fish spoons, and have one for every day of the decade, but they aren't nearly as productive for me as float/drift fishing.
I agree, buy that book if you serious about spoon fishing for sea-run rainbows.

#225862 - 01/02/04 07:10 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Have Little Cleo Will Travel.

F&J,
Buy the Book.
But if you can't read or you're opposed to learning from a Sensai Master then just drift-fish the bloomin' thing on a SLACKLESS line kissing as many rocks as you can without getting hung up while pretending to flyfish as you let it swing down below you. Then sloooooowly reel it back in and repeat.
Who knows, maybe one of those rocks just might turn out to be a fish.
Got 3 "rock fish" in the smoker as we speak.
Yes spoons rock and they're alot of fun to fish too.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#225863 - 01/02/04 08:10 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Try a chrome or chrome and orange little cleo right now in these low and clear conditions. Start with the 2/5 oz size, and swap out the treble for a siwash. Rig the hook with the point away from the round side of the spoon. This reduces snagging somewhat. Fish slow and deep.

#225864 - 01/02/04 08:29 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
GO BUY THE BOOK!

Bill H. Knows more about spoon fishing than most of us combined. The book will cost you about the price of the number of spoons you will lose each day until you learn a few of his tricks. I have fished with Bill lots of time and in addition to always kicking my butt (when we are spoon fishing) he loses about 1/4 as many as I do.

BUY THE BOOK.

Come to his seminar at Three Rivers marine and get it autographed.

#225865 - 01/02/04 10:04 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up about the seminar!

Just bought the book and told the wife I have a 7pm "meeting" in Woodinville on the 28th. Its a 1 3/4 hr. drive, but will be well worth it I am sure.

Mike

#225866 - 01/02/04 11:47 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
floatandjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
Thanks for the info Dave!

#225867 - 01/03/04 01:14 AM Re: Fishing with spoons
Nymph Offline
Smolt

Loc: Oregon
The spoon fishing is best in relatively clear conditions and with a light, tight line. I prefer spoons weighing at least 1/2 oz. in virtually all conditions to get them down to where the fish swim. Spoons with big wobble allows you to feel the lure better in the water and keeps your concentration up. Two of my favorites are B.C. Steel and Lil Cleo in silver and gold colors. And don't forget to use a quality swiver to reduce line twist.

#225868 - 01/03/04 03:51 AM Re: Fishing with spoons
MATT E. Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seguim,WA
If it wasnt for that Herzog book I probably wouldnt like fishing spoons as much as I do. In one years time I learned how to fish effectively with spoons and have out fished many friends and on many occasions caught fish with spoons where people had fished all day and had no luck, AHHH SPOONS. LIL CLEO 2/5oz shiny brass, hands down.

#225869 - 01/03/04 11:21 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Mike B....the tail out of Blackman's drift is an awesome spoon hole...you live right there, you lucky dog. beer

#225870 - 01/03/04 11:30 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fun5..

Cool!

The only bad thing about that is I have absolutely no stinking idea where Blackman's Drift is! beathead

Just moved up here in Oct, from Woodinville. Looks like a good local map is in the near future.

If your going to be out this way, drop me a note. Door's always open and the coffee's always hot.

Mike

#225871 - 01/05/04 02:40 AM Re: Fishing with spoons
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
For what it's worth, I like spoons for fishing broad runs of moderate depth. You can cast farther and cover more water than with drift fishing or float fishing. Do not apply enough tension that you feel the wobble easily...that will lift the spoon off the bottom. Use a little less tension (it will still attract fish) and pay attention to the taps as one may be a fish.

My largest summer run was a 16 pound hatchery fish that took a 1/2 ounce Stee-Lee. I think the more narrow spoons are better for winter conditions.

#225872 - 01/05/04 04:26 PM Re: Fishing with spoons
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
When you read the book pay close attention to the section on avoiding the push. cool

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |