Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#226558 - 01/06/04 10:42 PM steelhead jigs
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
Anybody know of any fly books or magazine articles with illustrations of methods that would be helpful to someone (such as myself)that wants to start tying their own jigs or any other material. Thought about taking a fly tying class but have to screwed up of a schedule to do so. Any other ideas would be appreciated also. laugh

Have already looked at past posts here and at other site not quite what I'm looking for. thanks

#226559 - 01/06/04 11:01 PM Re: steelhead jigs
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Look for bunny leech patterns. Just tie them on a jig hook. They are easy to tye. Goods ones are just a CROSSCUTT strip of rabbit fur wrapped around the top of the shank by the head. Marabou works too. Tie on a clump then take a marabou hackle and wrap that above the other marabou. I wasn't very detailed but that's the basics. There was a STS artical not too far back that taught how to tie jigs. I can't find it at the moment.

#226560 - 01/06/04 11:05 PM Re: steelhead jigs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Howdy,

We are booksellers, and while my personal collection never goes up for sale, I can recommend a couple of books on the subject.

The first is by Kenn Oberrecht, and is titled:

Angler's Guide to Jigs and Jigging: How To Make and Use the World's Deadliest Lures

A synopsis of the book says:

A virtual encyclopedia for making and using the world's deadliest lures. The design function and adaptation of modern jigs is described in detail as well as a chapter devoted to manufactured jigs. Whether the reader is a pro or amateur he will find countless tips for creating jigs that will make his fishing much more effective and enjoyable.

Powells in Portland, Or. has several used copies available in the $8 - $10 range, or it is available new (softcover) for about $14.95 The book was written in 1982. I can obtain a copy of it for you if you wish.

Another is by Russ Mahoney, and is titled:

THE COMPLETE BOOK OF LURECRAFT. It is not specific to jigs, but covers them as well as numerous other types of lures, etc. It was published by Outdoor Life Books in 1987. It is difficult to find and typically sells in the $20.00 range.

Hope that helps some. Making jigs is not difficult, is a nice pasttime for cold, messy days like we have been having. You might take a look on eBay (or garage sales) and pick up a decent used fly tying vise if you don't already have one. It is a must, IMO.

I have caught many, many fish on homemade jigs...except steelhead....still waiting for my first one (on anything!).

Happy jigging!

Mike

#226561 - 01/07/04 01:09 AM Re: steelhead jigs
wolverine Online   content
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Any "how to" book on tieing flies is also a good resource. They start pretty basic and get pretty elaborate. You can go to Barnes & Noble, get a latte, find a few how to tie books, park the old backside into one of their over stuffed chairs and spend a couple of hours educating yourself. You can also reverse engineer (tear apart) a few jigs to see how they are put together.

#226562 - 01/07/04 01:14 AM Re: steelhead jigs
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Dave Kilhefner wrote an excellent article on making your own jigs in a Salmon Trout Steelheader issue about six months ago. (It even had directions for puting beads on th hook.) You can buy back issues by calling Amatos or go to your libray and check it out.

#226563 - 01/07/04 01:33 PM Re: steelhead jigs
floatandjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
Yah! What Dave said. STS is my most favorite magazine in the world!

#226564 - 01/07/04 02:38 PM Re: steelhead jigs
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the replies.

Mike B I will go to the library and look at the first book you mentioned if I decide to purchase it I will e-mail you, the second book I already have

Looks like I better drop my computer magazine subscription and order Salmon Trout Steelheader sounds like I've been missing out. laugh

#226565 - 01/07/04 07:24 PM Re: steelhead jigs
flytyer Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Kings Valley, Or.
Howdy Steelheadfishin',
I am a jig manufacturer here in Oregon, theperfectjig.com and would be more then happy to trade emails and give you a hand in helping you start tieing your own jigs. It's a great feeling to know that ,when the steelie that is lying on the bank, was fooled by one of your own creations. I'd be happy to help.

Kevin

#226566 - 01/07/04 08:09 PM Re: steelhead jigs
Anonymous
Unregistered

There ya go stlhdfishn! Straight from a master jig builder.

Can't get no better'n that!

Some guys have all the luck...:-)

Mike

#226567 - 01/07/04 10:52 PM Re: steelhead jigs
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
You don't need no stinken book.
Just go to the nearest fly shop, look around at the flies, pick out the patterns you like best, then ask them for the materials and have them show you how to tie them.
Trust me, these guys are very helpful and willing to teach you how to tie flies.
At least it is true for the guys at the Morning Hatch. (no promo, just stating the truth)

Good Luck.

#226568 - 01/08/04 01:56 AM Re: steelhead jigs
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
I agree with Ironhead. Steelhead Jigs are extremely simple to tie when compared to most fishing flies. I've tied hundreds.
Just get the right tools, and they don't have to be "elite flyfisherman" expensive.

#226569 - 01/08/04 09:21 PM Re: steelhead jigs
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

flytyer thanks for your offer it's really appreciated I'm sure I will be taking you up on it. Received a vise for christmas, been running around picking out materials hopefully I will have a chance to start tying this weekend.

thanks again laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, wolverine), 1118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |