Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#227671 - 01/14/04 01:20 PM Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Check out the front page headline in today's TNT: "Beach driving ban sought"

Seems the big-city crowd is tired of seeing those of us not fortunate enough to own beach-front property use their privately co-opted public resourse: "A proposal from Seattle-area lawmakers to ban the time-honored practice of driving on state beaches has represenatives of coastal communities frothing like storm-driven surf." Clueless suburbanites once again have their blue noses out of joint: "That [our insensitive intrusion on their seclusion] disturbs many people who come to the beach seeking tranquility and relaxation, only to find rumbling pickup trucks and miles of tire-tread ruts." The proposal is supported by the usual cast of characters, like bird watchers. WELL EXCUSE THE EVERLOVIN' SNOWY PLOVER [Bleeeeep!] OUT OF ME!!!! I'd like to shove my clam shovel sideways up their collective a$$es. But they might just enjoy that too much.

I certainly hope that the legislators from the non-consumptive use averse districts have enough collective juice to send this proposal back to perdition, where it belongs.

#227672 - 01/14/04 01:48 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
I support no driving on beaches, dirtbikes,jet skiis,snomobiles,sleds etc. on public land or waterways exept where designated.
sleds only in big waterways like the columbia, lower reaches of the Skagit etc. We have plenty of roads and freeways for all the noise.

#227673 - 01/14/04 02:00 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

TheKing,

These are "designated" areas. The beaches we're talking about are part of the state highway system. Just like the paved highway system, you'll always find a few jerks. But you can't pass a new law every time a few jerks excite public attention.

Besides, if you enjoy razor clamming, and thousands of people do, then you need to drive on the beach.

#227674 - 01/14/04 02:13 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
I'm from the Seattle area, but I sure don't own any beachfront property. In general I'm against beach driving, except during razor clam seasons, and I also think there should be some allowance for older and disabled people. Other than that, cars and trucks and idiots doing brodies ruin the ocean beach experience for me.

#227675 - 01/14/04 02:29 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i see no problem with people driving on the beach. same with dirtbikers/4x4 people. as long as they play by the rules(e.g. don't go around destroying some fragile meadow or driving on the clam beds) there's no problem. it's the few idiots in every crowd that manage to get people's recreation banned. for some reason, outdoor activities that don't involve hiking or kayaking are easy targets for the scum who wants to do away with them

#227676 - 01/14/04 02:32 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
Scum? Same to you chum.

#227677 - 01/14/04 03:52 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

I agree with the access for the disabled and elderly. Everyone else can hike.

#227678 - 01/14/04 04:07 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unless it is proven that driving on the beach is having a sustantial impact on the wildlife on said beaches either from pollution or the sheer weight of the vehicle. I say keep them open.

If it was my choice to go to the beach just for the scenery, ocean shores is the last place I would go. Not because of the cars on the beach, but the fact that it is an ugly beach. (dirty water, dead birds, flotsam and jetsam and that friggen wind) Drive north a few miles to kalaloch or south to long beach if you want a true beach experience... IMO far better beaches!

#227679 - 01/14/04 04:11 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Theking,

Have you ever been down for razor clamming? What do you have to say about the extremely limited parking and the distance to the beaches? Do you really think that it's practical for this activity to say that "everyone else can hike"? Can you immagine cramming all those people who spread out with vehicles into the first several hundred yards of the accesses?

An entirely different question is the local economies of the businesses along the clam beaches. I immagine they depend pretty heavily on the crowds who enjoy the clamming. If people have to walk the miles they drive on the beach to get to their favorite clamming spots, I doubt they would continue coming down. And the clamming on the immediately accessible areas on either side of the accesses would be wiped out after one season, so who's going to come?

Besides, it's just fun to drive on the beach. It's a treat. It's something you can do with the family that is relatively unique. If it's solitude you want, Washington has it in abundance. There are vast stretches of undeveloped beach where the only access is by foot. These areas are truely unique and I would never even hint that anything like a vehicle be allowed on those beaches - only hikers, campers, shadows and footprints.

#227680 - 01/14/04 04:19 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
There is absolutely no need to drive on the beaches when we can build roads. A small tax levy of say 250/1000 on property owners there should handle it.

Besides. We really don't know what damage all these cars and trucks do. We need to study this for a couple of decades before we are so foolish as to allow vehicles on what might be critical habitat.

evil laugh

#227681 - 01/14/04 04:26 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
SciGuy Offline
Superstar in diapers

Loc: B.I.
All I have to say is that it really worried me this past summer to see cars zooming down the beach when there are little kids around. Its a little weird to have an area that is both a sand box and a freeway. The cars drive on the hard sand right next to the surf. The same place my 2 year old and his nieces like to play. The whole weekend I felt fild like Wayne's World when they were playing hockey in the street: "Car"...pick up gear/children...car goes by...reset.

Put 'em back.

#227682 - 01/14/04 04:46 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Life is pretty scary isn't it! laugh

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#227683 - 01/14/04 05:04 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
I see this argument kind of like moving into an area that has a MX track and wanting them to be quiet. Or, moving right next to a gun range and wanting the gun range to shut down because it isn't safe. It doesn't matter if there is another option for them or not...at least to them it doesn't.

If you don't like people driving on beaches, go to a section of the beach that isn't accessible by car. It's not like sections like that aren't available in the general area.

As far as safety is concerned, again, it is the individual's choice. If I don't want to be hit by a car, then I should stay in a safe environment. I shouldn't expect to be able to go wherever I want and make the people who already using it adapt to my ideals.

#227684 - 01/14/04 05:13 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
SciGuy Offline
Superstar in diapers

Loc: B.I.
Those are really poor analogies jimh but your point that there are areas for cars and other areas for no cars is a very good one, and should (but won't) put this thread to a rest. If people don't like it...go somewhere else. You can bet I won't take my family down there next summer.

Put 'em back.

#227685 - 01/14/04 05:25 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
So when is the proposal to prohibit building homes along the beach going to committee?

I mean, when I'm driving down the beach I don't want my experience ruined by seeing beachfront homes.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#227686 - 01/14/04 05:37 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having never driven on the beaches, or gone clamming, perhaps my opinion won't mean diddly......but I would like to share it all the same.

Is there a possibility of some happy medium? Sometimes a compromise stinks, but it is far better than having everyone go away with nothing.

Protected beaches should be just that...protected. Motorized vehilcles don't belong there, IMO. I hear the same about closed access forest areas. Some guys want to run their 4-wheel ATV's into closed areas to hunt and assist with removing downed game (like elk), but, rules are rules and they are there for a reason. But open beaches and forest areas are a definate need, as well.

Some areas of forest have the "green dot" system. Perhaps they could engage something along those lines with the beaches, with enforced speed regualtions, etc. and allowed access at differing times of the year?

If the currently [vehicle] accessible beaches get closed to vehicle access, then parking is going to be the next major issue for those homeowners. Those willing to walk must park somewhere, and then the issue of tresspassing though private property to gain easier access (walking) to the better areas is going to rear its head.

It's a slippery slope...property owners controlling access to public beaches, strictly by right of land ownership that locks users out of the "public" areas.

One thought is to get the interested parties together and hammer out a negotiated settlement is a good one...but sadly, with the jillion levels of bureaucracy in our most liberal of states, that will never happen. Could it?

People that own the property have rights..and so does the public that foots the bill for the maintenance of those lands. In order to "keep the peace" the courts will side with the private property owners and the "public" will get double screwed...

WE (us) will no longer have access to the areas (tresspassing, no parking, etc) AND we will still be paying the taxes to manage the no longer accessible public land.

If it can be done, my suggestion is to find a way (somewhere over the rainbow?) to get a negotiated settlement that can partially satisfy all parties.

Mike (the ultimate optimist) B

#227687 - 01/14/04 05:55 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Tdodge,

Been going there since I wass born, 45 years now. Take my kids now as well. I have never driven on the beach except to park where the road ends and the signs say no driving beyond. Usually use walk in access where we camp. Never had any issue getting clams.

It's an asthetic thing for me. I like to go places and not hear the roar of motors and smell the fumes. They are getting fewer and far between with the quads and jet skiis . Try cutting a Christmas tree anymore without the snowmobiles whining in the back ground.

#227688 - 01/14/04 06:24 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

I don't know if we should give up any of our access to the beaches. Bill, your point is well taken. If we can't drive on these beaches, then we are giving up miles and miles of access to public land and the public beaches will become the private domains of ocean-front homeowners, except for the hearty and healthy few in the prime of their lives who care to trek. This effectively limits the old, the infirm, the very young and families with small children, all of whom will be effectively restricted to the several hundred yards on either side of the the accesses, if they can find a parking spot in the paved lot.

I totally agree with SciGuy. Washington is already blessed with the diversity we need. For those who want solitude, the northern beaches afford, I think, the longest continuous stretch of undeveloped white sand beaches in the whole country. You can walk for days on those beaches and not see another person. I don't believe the National Park allows driving on the beach. I am sure there are other sections of beach where vehicles are not allowed. And although the beaches directly adjacent to the current beach accesses are no doubt heavily traveled in good weather, by driving a little further you can separate yourself from constant, or even frequent traffic. So chose a location that fits what you are after in a beach experience. Its not difficult; in fact, it's easy.

Theking, thanks for the response. I completely agree with you that a scene without vehicles beats a parking lot every time. But this is not a new use in the history of the Washington beaches. So far as I know, vehicle travel on the beaches has been around all my life. No doubt it is more crowded now than ever. I completely respect your response and your point of view. I just do not see a way to spread out the clam diggers without allowing driving.

I have no sympathy for beachfront homeowners who do not like the fact that designated beaches are part of the state highway system. These beaches are just as much and as well-known a part of the highway system as any paved county road. I can't fathom a property owner who bought property on one of these beaches without knowing this fact. I've never encountered a public beach access where driving was allowed that didn't post this fact.

However, if I read the TNT article correctly, one of the legislators who is sponsoring this bill is quoted as saying he didn't even know that traffic was allowed on beaches in Washington. What business does a legislator have in sponsoring such a bill if he is so unfamiliar with the Washington coast? If he doesn't know that driving on the beach is a "time-honored tradition" in Washington State, what do you think he knows of any of the local economic issues for those beach communities that depend on the traffic? And what do you think he knows about all the unintended consequences to those already depressed communities that would result from the proposed legislation? I think he knows and cares nothing, beyond what one of his undoubtedly rich and influential constituents complained of - that is, being "upset" that he/she had his/her tranquility intruded upon while lounging on his/her seaside deck by a "time-honored," pre-existing and completely lawful use of public land.

#227689 - 01/14/04 06:31 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Quote:
There is absolutely no need to drive on the beaches when we can build roads. A small tax levy of say 250/1000 on property owners there should handle it.

Besides. We really don't know what damage all these cars and trucks do. We need to study this for a couple of decades before we are so foolish as to allow vehicles on what might be critical habitat.
OK Plunk that was funny laugh

#227690 - 01/14/04 07:24 PM Re: Seattle elitists seek to ban beach driving
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood
If the poeple sponsering this are the people living on the beachfront property, a study may be a good idea. I would bet the vast majority of damage to the sensitive areas has been done by home and business owners. Not vehicles driving on the beach.

Where does the insanity end? beathead

I hope everyone supporting the ban puts a sign in thier yard, that way i'll know where to aim my fireworks next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |