THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 16 of 31 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#231642 - 02/10/04 06:31 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
FishnBrad - I'm not sure the Commission can require a complete closure unless they declare a particular river off limits to anglers. I'm not sure how you can require someone not to catch steelhead. They can require "zero possession", which is the same as C&R. Until someone outlaws fishing entirely, steelhead will continue to be caught by anglers. However, for the next two years, all non-clipped (wild) steelhead must be immediately released.

I would go as far as saying that all wild salmon and steelhead should be released. In fact, that's what I do. If I land a salmon or steelhead that I know is a wild fish, it goes back. Unfortunately, I don't always know whether fall Chinook are wild since they're not marked. But I don't usually catch many fall Chinook that are in good enough shape to keep. So the hatchery brats go back with the wild ones.

#231643 - 02/10/04 06:38 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn, WA USA
Fishnbrad ~ CNR has already been in place on most of the rivers across the state for years and yet, in most cases the fish runs continue to be in decline. The commission can close a river to fishing during the time of year that the wild fish are in the river.

Really the only rivers this ruling affects are the healthy rivers.

#231645 - 02/10/04 07:32 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Quote:
FishnBrad - I'm not sure the Commission can require a complete closure unless they declare a particular river off limits to anglers. I'm not sure how you can require someone not to catch steelhead. They can require "zero possession", which is the same as C&R.
They know it's illegal to do what they did!

Why do you think the attorneys are not answering my question????????????
laugh laugh beathead

What was that old saying about . . . . . don't kick a dog when it's sleeping! laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#231646 - 02/10/04 07:49 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
cohoangler what about rivers like the Sky that has it's C&R fishery closed all the time, no fishing period. Close them all down and see what happens. Then take a look at it river by river. Don't give it a 50% effort with C&R and hope it works, give it a honest try and see what happens, that's all i'm saying.

I don't fish for or even target wild fish anymore, but back 15 years ago I was all over them until i saw what was happening and I quit and looked for other options.

and quoted by you
"I would go as far as saying that all wild salmon and steelhead should be released. In fact, that's what I do. If I land a salmon or steelhead that I know is a wild fish, it goes back"
and that's what I'm saying dont fish for them period dont chance it if there is a problem (which there is) sit it out. we all should!!

Bruce I know It's just a handfull of rivers that this will affect, but where this is going is what scares me, what's next? I love to fly fish, but i don't want to be restricted to it in all waters salt and fresh.

Look it the Thompson river in B.C I hear that local clubs haved asked that their members and all other fishermen to cease fishing period. Why can't our clubs and fishermen do the same. I'll tell you why people are out for themselves. It's all me!! me!! me!!

Really sad!!

#231647 - 02/10/04 08:04 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

I agree Fishnbrad, I'm suprised that more people don't see what's going on here. I'm glad there are people like Cowlitzfisherman and a few others speaking out.

#231648 - 02/10/04 08:18 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#231649 - 02/10/04 09:11 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#231650 - 02/10/04 10:59 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Regards Offline
Egg

Loc: Eastern Washington

#231651 - 02/10/04 11:28 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

gall darnit anyway... Sounds like I need a new roof on my house...

Anyone know whats the best protection against the sky falling.

laugh

Sorry I couldn't help myself...
but there is an awfull lot of that kind of drivvel being spewed... rolleyes

#231652 - 02/10/04 11:32 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Between 2 Mountains
Bruce, shure will be there.

#231654 - 02/11/04 12:32 AM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
There's a fly fishing only conspiracy?... confused

All I know is this. Change is inevitable. If you are anywhere around your middle-years right now, think to the past, and the future.

Our grandfathers had pristine runs of wild steelhead. Few of them considered it worth fishing for them; though there were as many as they cared to take the time to fish for. Our fathers enjoyed fishing over healthy stocks of wild steelhead. They probably never considered releasing wild fish, unless they simply had more than they could use. In our lifetimes, we basically have seen runs deteriorate to the point where we are seldomly able to enjoy good numbers of fish, and can retain wild fish in precious few places.

Our kids will grow into adults MAYBE being able to fish in rivers that actually have wild fish. Keeping one may be out of the question. And unless we achieve something drastically different than the last generations were able to accomplish, our grandchildren may not even be able to fish for them at all.

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#231655 - 02/11/04 01:45 AM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Piper.. I would say that you need to try some foil.

#231656 - 02/11/04 01:57 AM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL Grandpa... laugh

I dont know if anyone caught this weeks episode of mythbusters (pretty cool show for us geeky types) One of the dudes was sporting his foil cap proudly. At one point he had a full foil helmut on with just a couple of eyeholes.

I got a pretty good chuckle out of it. wink

#231657 - 02/11/04 05:35 AM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
I have come to the conclusion after reading the boldt decision that it is futile to continue arguing C&R mortality and closures.

I think we should work on getting this privilage stealing law overturned if possible. We also need to fight for every privilage we have. Tell the special interest to go special interest in there country club pond and leave are privilages alone! It seems to me they havent the foggiest idea of what they are actually doing although there intent maybe good there actions are a good example of what happens when you smoke crack too long!

After the above mentioned is complete we need to start kissing some Native butt, and together we may be able to do something to get are fish back. Then we will all be happy get married, have kids, buy a house with a white pickett fence, and fish till we die.

what

#231658 - 02/11/04 12:31 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

gsiegel thats just what I was saying, don't fish at all and save every fish we can. Then all of us includeing WSC, WT, TU band togeather to reduce public demand or come to a comprimise with the tribes.

A C&R fishery will still kill off our runs it will just take longer and serve some people better along the way.

#231659 - 02/11/04 01:25 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nobody has opened up any special CNR seasons on wild steelhead.

You can still fish and you can still harvest hatchery fish. You will not be able to bonk a native fish (Isn't most everyone is doing that anyway?)

Rumor has it that only one river has a population of fish that is healthy. Rumor also has it that Wdfw didn't want to make that the only river that harvest of natives was allowed to prevent over harvest on that river.

WSR is not going to fix the problem but it will slow the problem until the natural ocean cylcles reverse and survival becomes much better.

Nobody is disputing that a total ban on fishing would be better for the fish. When the populations of wild fish fall to low and escapement is not being met the WDFW will close fishing entirely on those rivers.

Does any of that not make sence? Now would everybody please go out and catch a fish!

#231660 - 02/11/04 01:35 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Yea, none of it makes sense. Sounds like a bunch of rumors. Sounds like some people just want to keep killing fish. Sounds like some people want to push their agendas on other people. Smells like special interest to me.

If you think special interest groups will EVER support a catch and keep season anywhere in this state, you need to think again.

#231661 - 02/11/04 01:38 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

piper I'm say if you want to jump up and down and claim a real victory shut it down and let them come back with no sports pressure Is that too much sacriface for you?

#231662 - 02/11/04 01:42 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its not a catch and release season.

Bonk all the hatchery fish you want.

Just leave the natives to spawn.

#231663 - 02/11/04 01:44 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

To me it is a victory because I can still fish and take home as many hatchery fish as I can catch.

Page 16 of 31 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30 31 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Banana Slama
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 299 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |