THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 17 of 31 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#231664 - 02/11/04 01:46 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#231665 - 02/11/04 01:53 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

They were asking for 6 but could only settle on two. I'm sure they would've got some meaningful data with 6... everything is a comprimise

Science tells me that more fish on the spawning beds means more fish returning.

#231666 - 02/11/04 01:54 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
So's hows fishing for hatchery brats in march and april?

#231667 - 02/11/04 01:56 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn, WA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FISHNBRAD:
So's hows fishing for hatchery brats in march and april?
Exactly Fishnbrad!

#231668 - 02/11/04 02:01 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are still hatchery fish on some of the rivers... but you have to know where to look. :p

#231669 - 02/11/04 02:15 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by Piper:
There are still hatchery fish on some of the rivers... but you have to know where to look. :p
That statement says a lot to me.

#231670 - 02/11/04 02:20 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It says I know where to catch hatchery fish in march... and you dont... :p

#231671 - 02/11/04 02:20 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
Piper your right , but for the most part steelhead caught state wide after mid-late Feb are gonna be wild and all that fish for them during these times are doing them harm. period

I agree it 's better than catch n kill but it falls short of what we need. And how it came about and the agenda of those that pushed it thru that worries me.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm fairly ticked off about this whole thing.

#231672 - 02/11/04 02:21 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
slug Offline
Smolt

Loc: poulsbo
Hey Piper,

Rumor has it that you are one heck of a fisherman. If you keep all the hatery fish you catch we'll have to mail you a sausage with a hacksaw blade inserted c/0 the crossbar hotel.

#231673 - 02/11/04 02:27 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
slug Offline
Smolt

Loc: poulsbo
CFM,

Before asking other people for vast amounts of info stop to consider that they may have jobs and lives.

#231674 - 02/11/04 02:45 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by slug:
we'll have to mail you a sausage with a hacksaw blade inserted c/0 the crossbar hotel.
better make it a piece of cake or pie... I wouldn't want to give big bubba any idea's...

eek

#231675 - 02/11/04 03:15 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Quote:
Science tells me that more fish on the spawning beds means more fish returning.
Piper, like Salmo has said, that is not a "Fact" laugh

It may help, but that isn't always how it works!

Quote:
CFM,
Before asking other people for vast amounts of info stop to consider that they may have jobs and lives.
Slug
It's their reasonability to ask the WDFW and their staff to give them the information that helps them to make sound decisions. If they demand that others agencies must follow the WSP, why shouldn't they be held to the same standards?

Cowlitzfisherman

#231676 - 02/11/04 03:18 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
CFM, the defacto rule has been wild steelhead release WITH exceptions as specified by WDFW in the rule pamphlet. All they did was remove the exceptions for 2 years.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#231677 - 02/11/04 03:33 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#231678 - 02/11/04 05:51 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Bob,

There's nothing in violation of the WSP here, is there? It hasn't been changed in any way by this regulation.

Where does the WSP say that the Commission can't remove the last five stream systems from the exception to WSR?

If you won't be surprised if it's legally challenged, or that it's illegal, why don't you take up a collection and go talk to an attorney?

Earlier I noted that it would be a waste of an hour's worth of attorney fees ($125 to $250), but I probably wasn't correct. It's probably more like a waste of ten minutes of attorney fees, so it won't cost you much to find out the answer from an "unbiased" attorney.

Knock yourself out...but don't keep saying it's illegal, and that it will be challenged, until you both show how it's illegal and fork over the $$ and get an attorney involved. Otherwise you're no better than the rest of the "sky is falling" crowd, spouting out doom situation after doom situation with no factual, legal, or even logical connection to the truth.

Spreading unfounded fear is not making an argument, or having a debate. I know it hasn't stopped many folks from doing it anyway over the last couple of days, some of it ad nauseum, but I expect that you're better at actually researching a bit before you go off on an emotional tangent.

Questions for you and others:

1. Is it illegal? Show me how...and don't say "it violates the WSP" or your usual "you know it, but are too biased to say it"...actually show me how it is illegal.

2. It was not based in science. Show me the science that it should have been based on, but wasn't. Show me the science it was based on, but how there's not a connection between the science and the regulation.

3. It will make foregone opportunity a reality and the Indians will catch all the fish anyway. Don't just say it, and Micro, don't read stuff out of a legal case that you clearly don't understand. Actually show me a court case that says it will happen, or where it has.
(Hint: Don't say the Quileutes...the allocations on the Queets River are based on negotiations between WDFW and the Tribe, not on any legal case that set the allocation. Another hint: there are no legal cases that really even say what FG is, much less use it. Don't let that stop you from looking, though.)

4. It will lead to the closure of all the hatcheries. Pure unadulterated BS...though the folks who have been pushing this fear hot button haven't been stopped by that. Show me how it will lead to the closure of hatcheries. True or perceived agendas of sportfishing or conservation groups have nothing to do with this...if it did, WT might have had all of them closed by now. Why will it happen now if it hasn't happened yet?

5. We should just close all the rivers. Why? Out of one side of your mouth you say that this will lead to the closing of all the rivers, then you say that we should close all the rivers. One is caused by the regulation (with no support by any of this fear's pushers yet), and the other is one you say we should do (without either saying why, or noticing the hypocrisy of complaining about it happening while at the same time saying it should).

I agree that there are lots of emotions running high on this topic, however...

When Bruce has asked (well, actually, told me) what the WSC's hatchery policy is, I told him. He asked six times until he finally realized he wasn't going to get the answer he wanted (that didn't stop him from continuing to give his version on other BB's). That's not emotional on my part, that's the facts.

When Micro and others started spouting about the "killers" that fishermen who release native steelhead are, I agreed. There is an associated mortality with releasing fish. The funny thing is, most of the people going off on this regulation start off by saying that they release native steelhead, too. Rather than just spout, I posted the results of every release mortality study ever done on steelhead. The numbers run around 3-5%, on an average, depending on use of bait or use of barbs (barbs, mainly, are the biggest difference). This means that a fisherman who releases steelhead must catch and release OVER 20 TIMES the amount of fish a wild fish harvester bonks JUST TO BE EVEN.

Again, this is not reacting emotionally, this is telling the facts.

People say this is an unfair regulation that is not balanced and goes to an extreme. The same people say we should either fish and be able to harvest, nor not fish at all. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in this statement? This regulation offers a chance to both fish AND release wild fish. The ones that say it is not a fair balance argue that a "fair balance" should be one or the other...fish and harvest or don't fish.

Emotional response...if we don't get to bonk, then no one should fish.

The surveys say that the majority of fishermen support WSR...yet the anti's keep saying it's for a minority of elitists. Which is the fact, and which is emotional?

It's being pushed by people who want it to be flyfishing only. Anyone have a picture of me with a steelhead and flyrod? No...there aren't any. I guess it's possible that I hid my flyrod and borrowed the nearest gear guy's rod for the pic...but not likely.

It's being pushed by people who are anti-hatchery and anti-hatchery fish. Again, pure BS. Same with the people who say we'll have to go to the store to eat fish now. Are those people actually suggesting that the only fish they eat are wild steelhead from the OP? If not, then why do they have to go to the store to buy a fish? I eat dozens of fish every year, and so do all my non-fishing friends and neighbors...all hatchery fish, all caught by me, and all very well enjoyed both as recreation and food. Those fish came from hatcheries.

I'd challenge any other comments to be supported by facts, or at the very least, logical arguments.

Not emotional responses, not "sky is falling" assertions with no connection to reality, much less supported by facts or logic, not unfounded and factually bereft statements about the conspiracy between PETA, WT, and the flyfishing elitists to get this regulation passed as the first step towards no fishing ever.

Unless, of course, you have some facts to back it up.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#231679 - 02/11/04 06:09 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Todd

Good Post thumbs

#231680 - 02/11/04 06:11 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Todd;
I was gonna say that! wink
Thank You.

#231681 - 02/11/04 06:19 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

You choose to continue killing wild steelhead, I choose to let them live.

Regarding the legalities of your blanket ban, I'm working on that and I'll be sure to let you know when I have all my FACTS in order.

#231682 - 02/11/04 06:30 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
You choose to continue killing wild steelhead, I choose to let them live.
Huh? I musta missed something. If you oppose the new ruling PROHIBITING the killing of wild steelhead, how is that choosing to let them live? huh

Todd,

AMEN! thumbs

#231683 - 02/11/04 06:43 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

"If you oppose the new ruling PROHIBITING the killing of wild steelhead, how is that choosing to let them live?"
-----------

I think you might me a little confused 4salt. This blanket ban does NOT prohibit or stop the killing of wild steelhead.

Page 17 of 31 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30 31 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |