LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#232685 - 02/11/04 06:46 PM ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
With all the members on this board, do any of you own a retail fishing store ??? either fly, gear or both. Do any of you work in the industery outside of guiding ???

#232686 - 02/11/04 08:53 PM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Steelheader69 ties and sells flies. I also seem to remember a guy that tied and sells jigs.

#232687 - 02/11/04 09:01 PM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
Fish-N-Chicks Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
I worked at a local tackle - boat shop for 4 years but I just left to sell real estate just curious but why do you ask !!!!!

#232688 - 02/12/04 12:10 AM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Actually, we are putting together a proposal to start up a new shop here in Idaho. Was wondering if anyone had been to one of the large trade shows where vendors from the large tackle manufactures are present. This town needs an option. As is, there is sportsmans warehouse, and a couple of fly shops that have little or no inventory.

Worked the engineering grind for 22 years, time to do what I want. If you have any suggestions please let me know. We will be selling both gear and fly equipment.

#232689 - 02/12/04 02:16 AM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
MetalheadRon Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton Wa.
I do some dealing in speciality tackle and sell online. Rods, reels and such. Good deals on Lamiglass , Allstar and others. Full line availability. Okuma, Penn, Quantum and more.

#232690 - 02/12/04 12:58 PM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

B-RUN, what are you after? There are several people on the board that work at Tackle shops. They are of high enough morals that they probably won't bite without some specific's or a personal mail. Post what you're after and you'll most likely get a response. It's worked for me.

#232691 - 02/12/04 02:26 PM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

I guess I am not just asking the question. We need to know how to get in touch with the major wholesalers in the industery. We have contacted and recieved information from several. We think that we may have to go to one of the major trade shows that are held around the country. Wondering if anyone has been to one and can provide insight as to what is availiable. Its pretty hard to ask a person in your town how he does his business. Thinking that the majority of board memembers here are from west side Washington state, and have nothing to fear from providing us with some contact information.

Things we need,,

A Commercial fly tier. I tie rather well but would not be able to devote enough of my time to just that.

A major wholesale outlet for reels. We have Rods/ waders / boats lined up. Several Brands.

Information on lure vendors. Several have been easy to locate, and good to work with. Some we can't find the source. Its all middle men.

I guess bottom line is wondering if someone over there that does this every day would be willing to share some info with someone from an complete different area. We have the cash, location and knowledge, just lacking in vendor contacts.

Anyone can e-mail me at BG127@AOL.COM

Thanks

#232692 - 02/12/04 02:34 PM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
flytyer Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Kings Valley, Or.
B-Run
I would be glad to help. I used to own and operate a fly shop and outfitting business for many moons and still have many contacts. email me at , theperfectjig@yahoo.com

#232693 - 02/13/04 05:06 AM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim,Wa
B-run Steely, If you need another rod dealer or manufacturer, I'll make sure I give my good old buddy Bill Batson at Rainshadow Fishing the heads up on this and have him shoot you an E-mail. Bill is a great guy, with world-class rods, that I'm sure would love to due business with you. Good Luck!

#232694 - 02/13/04 11:26 AM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
rln Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: anywhere in B.C. sometimes wa...
look for a wholesaler in Spokane called Gunnerama (sic?). There is also Allsports (in Portland I think) They should be able to help out. Call someone like Luhr Jensen and they should be able to tell you the names of a few wholesalers that can sell you whatever your missing.

#232695 - 02/13/04 12:55 PM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
B-Run

Check your mail. Hope it helps. Good luck! thumbs

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#232696 - 02/14/04 11:05 PM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
JNT Offline
Smolt

Loc: Steilacoom, WA
I have worked for numerous sporting goods/tackle shops in western washington. What I would do is contact the manufacturers that you are interested in carrying and ask them for the name of the local sales rep in the area. Most tackle shops are very small so factories are accustomed to dealing with mom & pops and new start ups. I would avoid dealing with wholesalers if possible as their pricing is not very good compared to factory direct. Most people do not know this but, Sportco in Fife, WA is a large wholesaler (their wholesale name is Sport Service).

As far as fly eqipment is concerned you can try any number of manufacturers such as Umpqua in Oregon. Brian O' keefe was their rep for years. If you want to see some large shops that sell a lot of tackle to get some ideas of brands, etc. Try Fishermen's Supply in Portland, OR, Sportco in Fife, WA, The Morning Hatch fly shop in Tacoma, WA.

Again, contact the factory directly. If they have an area rep, that is your best bet. If they do not have a rep they will direct you to a wholesaler. You could also join a buying group such as World Wide Distributos in Kent, WA ...Steve Quarders is a good guy to talk to. WWD is ONLY going to deal with a shop owner (that is eligible to join their group) not some joe blow off the street.

Also, a word of advice, any rep you talk to will be vastly superior in terms of knowledge of general business and product mix than from any goofball behind the counter of a tackle shop. The rep probably deals with virtually every shop in your area with at least one line of products (most reps are independent business owners that sell for 5-20 tackle manufacturers) Very few tackle factories have full time paid factory reps. If you do talk to a rep ask when the next national trade show is and where. It would be worth the price to fly in to see the show and meet all the factories.

Good luck beer

#232697 - 02/15/04 08:04 AM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
corkyking Offline
Parr

Loc: Ocean Shores, WA
you have mail.

#232698 - 02/15/04 11:21 AM Re: ANYBODY THE OWNER OF A FISHING STORE??
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Just a word of thanks for all the replys and helpfull information. Thanks again guys and gals.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |