Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#233283 - 02/16/04 12:47 AM Long term harvest compromise
Rob Allen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver WA
annual wild steelhead limit 5 daily limit 1
posession limit 1.

when you retain 5 wild steelhead you are done steelheading for the year PERIOD.
no two wild steelhead kept may be from the same river system. Calawah, Sol Duc Dickey Bogie= all one river system

Guides client caught fish go against the guides annual limit. When the guide's clients retain 5 steelhead he is done guiding steelhead for the year. The 5 fish must each come from a different river.

#233284 - 02/16/04 01:00 AM Re: Long term harvest compromise
fishforlife Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: redmond wash
rob and your point being??????????

#233285 - 02/16/04 01:14 AM Re: Long term harvest compromise
Rob Allen Offline
Returning Adult

My point being is that i think harvesting wild steelhead is stupid and selfish but i am setting that aslide to make an effort to put a reasonable long term solution on the tabe for all sport fishers to agree to...

#233286 - 02/16/04 09:22 AM Re: Long term harvest compromise
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Rob..There are a lot of folks out there who think fishing in general is selfish and stupid.

#233287 - 02/16/04 10:42 AM Re: Long term harvest compromise
BAITCASTER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: SEQUIM WA
So you guys want to give the native fishery away forever? are you guys on drugs! By closing this down forever you can kiss late season goodbye, using bait, single barbless hooks, catch & release . Guides are going to lose thier jobs, The indians are going to get our fish rights(which isnt much) Iam not saying I bonk natives I just think were screwed. ONce the state takes away you wont ever get it back!!!! pull the nets and there would be lots of fish! frown

#233288 - 02/16/04 05:08 PM Re: Long term harvest compromise
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Clients that retain native fish become part of the guides limit of natives? That explains alot.People have this image that native fish are so much superior, yet are easily duped by fisherman. Any fish that is not clipped has the potential of being a hatchery fish,there are fish planted each season that are raised in hatcheries that Do Not get clipped.Let us stop wasting our tax dollars, and resouces and ask the Quillute (sp) tribe and the fisheries of BC what and how they do it and enlist those plans into our planting protocols. Work smarter not harder, course this would leave all of those great scientists and resource managers with little to do but count the masses of fish that return..............

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#233289 - 02/16/04 11:29 PM Re: Long term harvest compromise
Rob Allen Offline
Returning Adult

It's painfully clear that the other side of this debate has no interest in workable compromises in any way shape or form.. This is exactly why WSR is needed now.. This is the same hard line timber companies took back in the 1980's when the idea of thinning cuts was popular among enviromental groups and is precicely why so many timber companies are out of bussiness..
Seeing as how anglers wanting to harvest wild steelhead do not care about reaching a workable real agreement I see no reason in offering anything more.. I say to hell with wild steelhead harvest forever. anyone who keeps a wild steelhead or makes a living as a guide who allows clients to harvest wild steelhead doesn't deserve to be allowed to fish..

also about foregone opportunity.. Read Todd's article. HE KNOWS MORE THAN YOU!!!

#233290 - 02/17/04 07:48 PM Re: Long term harvest compromise
Ron Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carnation, wa
I remember a few years ago I was at La Push watching the Indiaans come in with their catch. Looking into the bed of a truck was a plastic bin about 4 feet square and about 4 feet tall. It was filled to the brim with native steel head. One days catch for one Indian set. I remember thinking " if I were a native bonker there are more fish in that bin taken in one day than I would take in a life time."

I don't think It's an issue of C&R or bonking I think it's an issue of what's right. The only management technique the state seems to use is shut down the sports guys. The Indians and the commercials never get touched. The reason !!! Because it's easy.... The comercial guys threaten to Sue and are in bed with the commision. The wsfw is affraid of the indians, so they pick on us. We are not united, There are many groups and they are mostly never willing to give an inch to another. So the game dept. sticks it to us.

I'm not saying we need to keep killing native steelhead but!!!!

If we don't unite soon what we have now will become a memory. I think we should fight this tooth and nail to try and keep some control of our rights if not they will be gone. After all this is our fishery also.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |