Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#234778 - 02/26/04 12:40 AM Electric filet knives
Adipose Soup Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Richland, WA
OK, it somehow seems sacreligious to even think about these things, but the electric knife does a dandy job on my Thanksgiving turkey.

Anybody try electric filet knives on salmonids? They can't possibly butcher a fish worse than I can do on my own with a dull $1.99 Danielson knife.

#234779 - 02/26/04 01:08 AM Re: Electric filet knives
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
I guess given the choice of a dull $1.99 knife and an electric knife, I would chose the electric. I have watched guys filet with electric knives and they are fairly fast and effortless to use, but I haven't seen anyone do what I consider a good filet job with one.

What you need is practice with a good knife! Go up to Sekiu with a few friends when the pinks are running and volunteer to filet all the fish(give your friends the filets and keep your freezer space open!). You'll be an expert by the end of the weekend!

#234780 - 02/26/04 01:33 AM Re: Electric filet knives
Adipose Soup Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Richland, WA
ET, your shameless attempt to get me to fillet your fish has not succeeded. flog

But thanks for the input. Any other opinions?

#234781 - 02/26/04 02:51 AM Re: Electric filet knives
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Have watched a group of "personal use" dipnetters on the Kenai after a successful sockeye slayfest. They use nothing but electric to make very short work of 100+ reds at Riverbend every July. It's a sight to behold! Production cuts for sure, but with almost no waste.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#234782 - 02/26/04 03:52 AM Re: Electric filet knives
MasterCaster Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Florida
I can guarantee you that if you use one on a mess of crappie or perch and you will never go back to manual!
My wife bought me one for xmas a couple of years ago (re-chargeable) and I am sold.... I just wish I had thought to use one 20 yrs ago..

MC smile

"Equal Rights" are not "Special Rights"........

#234783 - 02/26/04 09:49 AM Re: Electric filet knives
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
I have often wondered if they worked or not. Didnt want to spend the cash to find out. I now keep 3 cheap fillet knives in my boat for cleaning. I picked up one of the cheap scotty knife sharpeners. It hacks up the blade but puts a good sharp edge on the knive. I think I will stick with the old fashioned manual version. I dont have to remember to charge them up before a trip.

#234784 - 02/26/04 10:27 AM Re: Electric filet knives
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
I made the switch to a re-chargable 3 years ago. I used it for perch & walleye but not salmon until last fall. I did practice on the pinks and wondered why I didn't use an electric before. You still need to take care of the blade.

#234785 - 02/26/04 12:13 PM Re: Electric filet knives
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
I have heard of people using these and say they are great. I was beside a guy at Neah Bay last year at the fish cleaning station that had one. His blades kept popping apart and out of the handle. It was quite comical. He said he watched a guy use it on rockfish. Actually for big fish I really like the huge meat carving knifes with the rounded tip. We were filleting 25-40+ pound kings last year in no time at all in Westport and NB.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |