THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#239454 - 04/05/04 04:52 PM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Hey Doc, I can tell from your picnic table photo and the sign in the background that we fish out of the same place. I usually stay in the cabins. Nice job on the filet photos.

I always prefer to filet un-gutted as I see it as a wasted step in the process, and when the belly cavity is empty, it collapses down which doesn't help with the filet angle. This is easier up on the Kenai since the fish stay cool in the fish box with the river temp and it isn't always that sunny. We always bleed them out and then filet when we get back to camp.

Down here, I still usually bleed them and throw them on ice until I am at a location where I can filet them out. Alot less mess this way to.

#239455 - 04/05/04 05:49 PM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Wow, now I know why I'm not a surgeon. Your cuts are awesome. You should be proud!

#239456 - 04/06/04 12:38 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

For the record more than 95% of my surgeries involve an incision of 2.5 millimeters, usually made with a diamond micro-knife under an operating microscope. The only time I get to make any cuts bigger than that is when the "patient" is a fish.

You don't need to be a surgeon to cut fish well.... just a good method, a sharp flexible blade and a little practice. My best advice would be to forget that you are cutting flesh, but instead envision that you are trying to shave the bones as you work.

For those who were interested in the planked fish recipe:

1) Lay fish skin side down on your cutting board and sprinkle salt on the flesh side to taste. A little MSG at this stage is great for those who are not sensitive. Let the salt penetrate for 45-60 min.

2) Soak an alder plank in water for 45-60 minutes

3) While fish is salting and plank is soaking, mix up the following ingredients for the topping:
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 medium-sized sweet onion minced
2 stalks green onions finely chopped (chives are OK too)
1/4 sweet red pepper finely chopped (optional for color/eye appeal)
fresh ground pepper to taste (10 turns on my pepper mill)

4) Preheat covered gas BBQ to 450-500 degrees while you arrange salted fish skin side down on soaked plank. Generously paint the topping over all exposed flesh.

5) Have a spray bottle of water handy by the BBQ. Place plank in BBQ, close cover, and cook for about 10-12 minutes per inch of fish thickness.

6) The alder smoke should begin pouring out of the covered BBQ within 5 minutes.... this is NORMAL. Do not open the cover unless the plank is flaming, extinguish with spray bottle if needed.

7) The fish in the picture cooked for exactly ten minutes in my Weber. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Fish is done when it easily flakes/breaks apart with gentle pressure and the topping starts to brown.

8) ENJOY!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#239457 - 04/06/04 11:38 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
So.... what time will dinner be served??? I will help do dishes! ;\)

#239458 - 04/07/04 12:45 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
A craftsman is only as good as the tools he uses.. So 'fish Doc', what are your filleting tools? ;\)

#239459 - 04/07/04 01:26 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Periwinkle

That fish was cut with a 6" Normark knife. I think that is the same company that puts out my favorite Rapala knife with the blonde wooden handle. Here's my take on fillet knives:

1) I don't think the make matters much. Important thing is it sharpened to the point of being able to cut thru skin/scales, especially on river fish that have hardened off (scales firmly set). Fish flesh pretty much cuts like butter once you penetrate the skin.

2) A good knife should have a fair amount of flex to maintain good contact across bony countours.

3) Bigger is NOT better for this technique. A 9 or 12 inch blade is advocated by a lot of folks who cut big fish, but these guys ususally go for the "heroic-all-in-one-intact-fillet-per-side" method with the knife sliding firmly along the full length backbone.

Their knife has to cut thru all the ribs ( very hard on edge-life) and the blade needs to be long enough to simultaneously cut the skin along the entire length of the dorsal ridge (top of back). As their knife starts to dull, you'll see them start to "saw" at the fish.... BAD BAD BAD!

4) Every time the knife touches the fish should be a bold sweeping motion. DO NOT SAW!. Every stroke should be in the same direction (NOT back and forth) until the piece comes off the fish.

5) Keep a good steel handy and take a few strokes on it just before making your original skin cuts on each side of the fish.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#239460 - 04/07/04 04:29 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
EmeraldGreen Offline
Alevin

Loc: probably on the river
Thanks for the recipe. I had this for dinner tonight and it was great having fish cooked in a different fashion for a change. With a freezer full baking it almost turns it into chicken, but even after being frozen for 8 months this was still a treat. Tommorow I might try some hali!!!!!
Hopefully a few buddies will see your demonstration and stop trying to do the "heroic-all-in-one-intact-fillet-per-side" method. I never have done the lateral full length cut, but for sure I always use multiple verticle incisions. For an extra treat while filleting masssive quantities of kings, take the collar cuts of a few fish and throw them on the BBQ. Not much meat but this area contains loads of oils and fats.
Can't argue with you when you see the near transparent skeleton.
P.S. Nice article this month. Looks like I'll be up there in July and I hope to take advantage of this. Now if only Bob would start something like that and get it subsidized I could afford to fill up my wall. Wow it seems like every river I fish I somehow run into Richard Cranium.
"A river is remarkably like an elm-tree, and it requires but little imagination to picture it standing upright, with all of its lakes hanging upon its spreading branches, the topmost eighty miles in height.
John Muir

#239461 - 04/08/04 01:20 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
Louis F. Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Beautiful...wonderful.....awesome knife work I applaud you ....Not even enough on those bones feed the cat. Sweet Did i say wow??

Louis F.

#239462 - 04/08/04 01:39 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldGreen:
For an extra treat while filleting masssive quantities of kings, take the collar cuts of a few fish and throw them on the BBQ. Not much meat but this area contains loads of oils and fats.
That is my favorite part of the fish! I have "volunteered" to cut others' ungutted fish more than once or twice, with the understanding that I get to keep their unwanted collars and belly strips. On a decent Kenai king, the collars/belly weigh about 6-12 pounds! ( See the example halfway back thru this thread.) I come home with more "salvaged" king meat doing this than what I catch and keep for myself! Troll the river for fun, troll the cleaning table for food! How can you beat that?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#239463 - 04/08/04 01:44 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Great pics. Thanks. It makes a lot of sense. I always end up cutting my fillets into meal-sized pieces anyway.

One question: It seems logical that by using this method, the pinbones are exposed and easily removed. Do you cut or pull them out before vacuum packing the pieces?

#239464 - 04/08/04 02:42 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

When it comes to pin bones, I'm a puller/plucker rather than a cutter. Generally don't pull them before vaccuum-packing fresh fish.... if you are worried about a puncture, just pack the pieces flesh sides together and skin sides out. That way only slime and scales against the vac bags.

On smoked fish, I always pull the pin bones prior to vac-packing since they tend to become very exposed as the meat shrinks.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#239465 - 04/08/04 03:24 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
nookie dreamin' Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everwet
Doc, if I read correctly, the key is not so much as length as it is degree of sharpness. Sharp is good, right?

#239466 - 04/08/04 12:09 PM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Hey Doc,

Parker gave your method a try yesterday on some springers we wrangled up. He did a pretty good job, but the carcasses had a little more meat on them than yours.

I'll post some pics later so you can check out his results.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#239467 - 04/08/04 12:12 PM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
You can just call me "Hack" Parker from now on. ;\)

Well, Doc, I got the opportunity to try out this technique on a couple of Jerries last night.

Unfortunately, I hadn't read all of this thread first, so I brought a stiff fillet knife and not my flexible one. I can see where the flexible one might be nice. I'll have to try it out next time.

In all, I got better on each fish I did. It definately takes more time on the river doing the fish this way, but it saves some processing time at home.

Also, once you get used to the correct cut angle, it does get easier.

I did have some issues near the doral fin, but I suspect a little experience will speed that process up.

Also, I think it would have helped if I would have slit the fish up the middle first.

If you're going to vac-pac up the fish, this a great technique to try. If you're going to cook up the fish that night, I think I'd rather stick with a whole fillet.

DanS took a photo of my handiwork and I can really see why I didn't go to medical school to become surgeon! ;\) Maybe he'll read this and post the photo. I tried this on whole, ungutted fish. As I see above, he beat me too it.

In all, I liked this technique and will probably be practicing it a lot, as I vac-pac a lot of fish.

Thanks Doc! It's always cool to learn something new.

#239468 - 04/09/04 10:41 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Ok, so I'm a hack... \:D

#239469 - 04/09/04 11:46 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Just keep that knife away from me, Parker, and we should be fine.

You gotta remember, the Doc probably cuts on actual people, so I'm sure his technique is just slightly more refined than yours.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#239470 - 04/09/04 09:41 PM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
ramprat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham
Looks good to me Parker, But then again I've always been the cut em up, pick the bones out later kind of guy!!
Ramprat

#239471 - 04/10/04 12:35 AM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Parker,
Hey it took you a bit and actually the fillets didn't look that bad. Especially to the 2 I butchered... But heck, I was done in a few minutes... We sat around for hours for you to do your two. Not a bad day overall 5 fish... I know I had fun, hope you, DanS and Tony did too...
Keith \:D

#239472 - 04/10/04 09:25 PM Re: FILLET-O-FISH (long with beaucoup pic's)
grumpyr Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Orygun
\:D Hey Parker, I hope you didn't let Dan get near the sharp thang. He's had enough time off work. Hey Dan, where's my cut?
G

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1234 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |