Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#239861 - 04/06/04 11:44 PM Tiderunner Boats
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
A good evening to all of you. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with Tiderunner boats. I test drove their 195 model today and it was real nice, although a little short on room. I am on the edge of purchasing a Wooldridge 20 foot Offshore Super Sport, but I thought I would give a glass boat a go. I fish salt, lakes, and the Columbia and the Wooldridge looks like a great boat. I test drove it on Lake Washington last week on some chop and it does pound a little with that 16 degree deadrise compared to the Tiderunners 24 degree deadrise. But it handled the waves just fine.

At any rate a lot of compromises have to be made. Just interested in some opinions. You all have been very helpful in the past.

Thanks.

Mike

#239862 - 04/07/04 01:10 PM Re: Tiderunner Boats
shoemaker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Scratch
I dont own i tiderunner yet, but i have spent some time in them. I cant believe how stable they feel in rough water. I had the 19 of westport a few times last year, it was great running in the swell and it fished really well in heavy chop. Ive had the same experience in a 16' there. If you are thinking of fishing any rough water id recommend one.

#239863 - 04/07/04 07:19 PM Re: Tiderunner Boats
FISH'N BRASS Offline
Parr

Loc: U. PLACE, WA
Mike- I've had 2 Tiderunners thru the the years- an 18' and a 22'. Both were excellent boats for stability and for ease of fishing. I looked at the new Palmer versions the other day and found the craftmanship to be lacking-The trim was poorly done on the boat I looked at- this is not a show stopper but the one thing I didn't like was the abscence of a drain hole in the fish box. It is not removable, which means everytime it is used you will have to use a sponge to clean it and wipe it dry.

#239864 - 04/07/04 10:17 PM Re: Tiderunner Boats
Adipose Soup Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Richland, WA
I can't speak highly enough about Wooldridge boats. Can't tell you how they compare to Tiderunners--don't think you really CAN compare aluminum to glass anyway. But sure loved my Wooldridge.

#239865 - 04/08/04 11:23 PM Re: Tiderunner Boats
Pilebuck Offline
Alevin

Loc: Puget Sound
The only major thing I don't like about my Tiderunner is that the sides aren't high enough. Whether you have inexperienced fisherman or kids in the boat trying to fight fish, they need the higher sides to lean against. Now the new Palmer boats may have higher sides, I haven't got to check them out that close, but they are great boats for the sound a the lower CR. I've even taken it across the bar at Westport and Illwaco but you got to make sure you do it in ideal conditions. They definately are not the most sea worthy big water boats out there but very reliable.

#239866 - 04/12/04 12:54 AM Re: Tiderunner Boats
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Mike

#239867 - 04/12/04 03:04 PM Re: Tiderunner Boats
Misty Offline
Smolt

Loc: Poulsbo, WA, USA
Mike,

I own one of the new Palmer models that they just re-did. I have the 190 without the extended motor bracket. I can't say enought about the ride with these boats. They will outdue any aluminum or Arima out there. I just had mine up at Sekiu last week and it takes the chop and ground swells excellent. My buddies both have Arima's and Hewes Craft. You get beat up compared to this boat.

You will need to put a set of trim tabs on the boat if you plan to have a kicker motor mounted. Palmer will do this for you, if you choose.

The fish boxes do come out, there are two deep trayed fish boxes that can be removed.

#239868 - 04/13/04 02:53 PM Re: Tiderunner Boats
Sea Lemon Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle
I recently purchased a 1989 19'6" Tiderunner (from an ad on this board). I haven't had it long, but the early report is I LOVE IT!. Seems to handle rough water VERY well - I don't even notice waves up to about 2' when I'm cruising.

I also love the design - the builders devoted a lot less space to the walkaround portion of this boat, and more to the cockpit and cabin. It has the roomiest cuddy cabin I have seen in a boat of similar size. The sides are plenty high inside and out - plenty of freeboard, and plenty of height for fighting fish or for keeping kids safe. I don't know how the new Palmers compare. I have heard that they are using the old Tiderunner molds, and I heard from somebody else that they burned all the old molds. Who knows.

It does have a tendency to rock and roll a bit side to side, and is quite sensitive to weight distribution side to side. I would say trim tabs are a must.

"If you can't tie a good knot,
tie a lot of 'em!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 912 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |