THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#243362 - 05/12/04 10:23 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
StillWorks Offline
Egg

Loc: King Co
Upstate NY, fished Lake Ontario and Lake Oneida as well as many little rivers in between them with my dad. We did the thousand islands area every summer too. Could walk to the Little Salmon river from the house. A long time ago.

#243363 - 05/12/04 10:52 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Quote:
Originally posted by Hohwaiian:
50th State!!!

Grew up fishing the pineapple irrigation systems on my surfboard for peacock bass, largemouth, smallmouth and snakehead.
Hohwaiian:

How about the quarry pond at UH Manoa fishing for tilapia... that was my hangout during med school. Best substitute for Alaska salmon that I could muster on zero income at the time.
:p

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#243365 - 05/13/04 01:35 AM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
I was born in the Bay Area and moved to Washington in '69.. However, I still have vivid memories of catching trout on the Klamath and Trinity- that started it all...

My Uncle introdiced me to steelhead at the age of 11. My first came from the Toutle in 1976. Not a weekend went by without hitting the Kalama, Cow or Toutle!

My folks bought a 21' Bayliner in the mid 70's and grandpa, who was a ol' timer that hung out at the boathouse, intorduced me to meatlining with a plug.

By the time I was 13, I had my first boat earned with paper route money- a 10'r with a Johnson 6hp at the PD boathouse. When I reached driving age, I was lucky to be in school!

That was 26 years ago! I still have a passion for salmon and spend roughly 90-150 days on the water every year!

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#243366 - 05/13/04 01:49 AM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Grew up on the "Rock" and lived a stones throw from the Winslow ferry dock. As a kid I fished for pile perch off the local docks using the little dacron hand line fishing kits you could buy at Vern's Drug for .50 back in the 50's & 60's. Maybe some of you remember the thick green dacron (150# test?) on a square yellow plastic holder that would fit in your back pocket with your slingshot and pocket knife? Didn't take long before I was commandeering dingy's off the beach and fishing for flounder, dogfish and rat fish with my buddies using the same hand lines tipped with bacon. Our hand-line adventures continued as we ventured further afield to places like Restoration & Port Blakely for rockfish & ling cod, always looking forward to the incredible annual true cod migration near Agate Pass where the entire town of Poulsbo turned out enmass with their hand lines too. But before I moved off the "Rock" I had cobbled together a few salmon "poles" and gained access to a wobbly 12 ft Sears Gamefisher with a Evinrude Fisherman. If you would have asked me then and I would have told you that no salmon from Jeff Head to Blake Island was safe in those days. But big salmon lies aside, I will still cherish most the countless days and hours of CNR fly fishing for fiesty cuttthroat off our dock on Agate Point; just me and my dog. Only she wanted to fish as much as I did as a kid.
It wasn't till later that I ran into other wackos like myself and many folks on this board. \:D
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#243367 - 05/13/04 03:12 AM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
bigb8bigfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Great topic! Call me the urban fisherman. Grew up and raised in Seattle, but, learned how to fish for shiners on the piers around 4, then went to work on my uncles' farm in Auburn at age 9 and he would take me down on the Green and fished for trout! Not steelies, but, trout in the 60's on the Green. Use to be many access until the the trash and vandalism got bad so farmers along the Green stopped that. Then learned salmon fishing at Pt. Defiance for blackmouth only. Didn't start on Kings after a few yrs. then figured out fishing is just as good in Elliot bay too! Now I'm a nomad fishing on the Columbia to the O.P.
Yet I'm only 5 mins. to Armeni or 5mins. to Stan Sayers.....go figure.

Robert

#243368 - 05/13/04 02:49 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
KK,

Thanks very much for the post identifying the Catalpa Tree. Your quote is the only place I've ever seen Catalpa Worms/Trees mentioned and my experience with the worms as bait confirmed.

Thanks again!

#243369 - 05/13/04 07:49 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
Well, let's see. Growing up in Weed, California my grandparents were avid trout fishermen, so we grew up fishing NorCal lakes such as Lake Shastina, Lake Siskiyou, Castle Lake, Gunboot Lake and Juanita Lake. Fished a couple times for crappie down south at Black Butte Lake. Fished the OR coast at Brookings in summers for salmon, and Sunset Bay. In the Air Force fished little lakes on base at Beale AFB in Marysville, CA. Base had 8 lakes, nice bass. Great memories.

#243370 - 05/13/04 08:45 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
growing up. grown up in Bellingham I fish fish the north sound rivers and streams.

#243371 - 05/14/04 12:21 AM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
Full Freezer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
I grew up on Lake Ballinger in the 70's & 80's. Caught lots of trout, perch, catfish, crayfish, fresh water clams etc. Funny thing is while fishing that lake for 14 years I never caught a bass! Used to walk right outside my bed room onto the dock & catch 16-19inch trout all the time. Used to play "Hobbit" on the island & sneak out at night to wander all the way around the lake thru everybody's yards & the Nile Country Club & Lake Ballinger Golf Course.
I remember the first time we witnessed a flock of Canada Geese fly in for the winter! We were delighted & noted the day! 10 years later we hated the things- they never left.

#243372 - 05/14/04 05:33 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
I grew up in Waddel Creek S. of Oly; also the millpond and rock quary in 10-9-0 before that.

#243373 - 05/14/04 05:58 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
Badbobber Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Ravensdale, Wa
I started fishing in the 6th grade (not for girls that was to easy) in Federal Way at twin lakes.
Then moved by Saltwater state park where I really got hooked into fishing and we use to go all the time to the HOKO river camping at Kadaka point, think I spelled that right. Then we moved to Renton ( we moved alot) and I would ride my 1970 honda CT70 to the cedar river and have been hooked on rivers ever since and of course still like the lakes. I just can't quit. \:D

#243374 - 05/16/04 11:15 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
bodysurf Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
the ala wai for tilaps ....and wilson res...nuuanu for catfish.....but o'io on da north shore is no ka bes....

#243375 - 05/16/04 11:38 PM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
West Seattle, sat. trips to the Cedar River up by the dam (Landsburg?). My dad was a spinner fisherman, liked to drift the colorado spinner for trout and the odd steelhead. We fished in the late spring and summer. This was 1965-1973 for us two, lots of fun......

#243376 - 05/17/04 12:29 AM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
santiago Offline
Smolt

Loc: Cape George
I tried to read every post to this thread. Seems to me most everyone here had a Mentor, be it their father or a good buddy who had the opportunity of a benefactor who knew a thing or two about fishing. Point of the message is: take that kid down the street who may not have a father who fishes. This day and age, he or she may not have one at all. T ake a kid fishing; I gurantee, you will not regret it.

Best regards to the board,
Santiago

#243377 - 05/17/04 12:44 AM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
the ala wai for tilaps ....and wilson res...nuuanu for catfish.....but o'io on da north shore is no ka bes....

#243378 - 05/17/04 02:21 AM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

AK

Allow me to translate haole style:

Ala Wai is a navigable channel in Honolulu where you can catch a cichlid called a tilapia (tropical version of a crappie).

Nu'uanu is a stream flowing thru Honolulu and Lake Wilson is a reservoir where you can catch catfish.

The North Shore of Oahu is a very good place to catch bonefish.

Better?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#243379 - 05/17/04 02:25 AM Re: Where did you grow up fishing?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
before posting.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 791 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |