Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#245250 - 05/30/04 02:21 PM How It Used To Be
steelie1 Offline
Fry

I hope all will remember the services of our vetrans and sacrifices made in all the military in past years, and those now serving in today's conflicts.

And give some thought to how sports fishing used to be and figure out how to improve things.

Memorial Day frequently was a good weekend for the Hat Island early kings. Limits were the rule, usually by noon. This was not all that long ago...about 15 years.

Fathers Day was good on Mission Bar for Snohomish Kings. Crowded, but good fishing. Again, not all that long ago.

Every night in the summer dozens of tribal netters pounced on Mission Bar etc. They don't bother now of course. No fish.

The Bubble?? Nobody bothered because it wasn't all that great.

Crabbing was open year round.

Halibut was open all summer.

Lings season was long.

Bottom fish was open.

Port Angeles had great king fishing.

All these things are gone, primarily because of how our state managed the fishery in favor of netting, tribes , commercials etc. These are people who were voted in to office.

I will never forget taking out of state visitors for lunch in Mukilteo and watching their dismay at lines of purse seiners running their huge boats and nets by the old Taylors Landing, now Ivars. Their first comment was ususally "Is this legal? How can the fish survive?"

But it was legal and they took everything they could net..

Another favorite seiner trick was to run their nets right at the "line" by the bait box. They put in and forced the sport boats out as their skiffs pulled in the purse.

So...Washington state had its chance. It had the ability to have a great fishery and reap the economic benefits. It chose not to.

The good news is my expense budget has huge surplus of funds because I don't buy boat fuel, parts, fishing stuff anymore.

Newcomings will probably not belive the above, but it is very true. In fact one of the best king holes as right at the mouth of the Snohomish and could be fished in a very cheap small boat. Lots of derbies (king derbies, remember them?) were won in that spot in he wee hours of the morning. All you had to do is go out early and compete with the dozens of tribal nets stretched across the river and area but they left at sunrise.

Even after the Navy Base ruined that hole and they dredged the river and so the fish didn't lay out front any more, there were still fish to be had....for a while. Now the tribes don't even bother to net.

I haven't even bothered to buy a license, can't see the magic of competing for the several hours and few days of the "openings".

The 6 inch trout openier is looking better alll the time.

#245251 - 05/30/04 07:49 PM Re: How It Used To Be
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Wow that's depressing... hope I'm not singin' the same tune 20 years from now when I am retired and have all day to fish.

If this isn't a wake up call to fish managers to start doing a few things differently, I don't know what is.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#245252 - 05/30/04 09:01 PM Re: How It Used To Be
santiago Offline
Smolt

Loc: Cape George
Same story in Michigan although for a myriad of different reasons. The river fishing for salmon and trout today is only a shadow of itself 15 years ago. I suppose one's perception of fishing quality and productivity is relative to one's experience measured by time. Guess I'm an oldtimer. So be it.

Much respect for our heroic veterans and active service people.

#245253 - 05/30/04 10:33 PM Re: How It Used To Be
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by steelie1:
All these things are gone, primarily because of how our state managed the fishery in favor of netting, tribes , commercials etc. These are people who were voted in to office.
please enlighten us as to who we should point the finger at?

#245254 - 05/31/04 12:50 AM Re: How It Used To Be
Bank of Duvall Offline
Smolt

Loc: Duvall
Agreed - On a + note, I can name a river where fishing for kings has recently gone way up and a season now exists where there hasn't been one in decades.....

#245255 - 05/31/04 01:24 AM Re: How It Used To Be
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Where?
\:D

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#245256 - 05/31/04 02:50 AM Re: How It Used To Be
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
People from B.C. used to come down here to fish!

#245257 - 05/31/04 04:31 AM Re: How It Used To Be
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
Quote:
Originally posted by fishNphysician:
Where?
its listed in the regs

there are still plenty of good places to fish. not as many as in the past for sure, and every year they get fewer and fewer. im probably selling my boat this summer because of that.

#245258 - 05/31/04 12:44 PM Re: How It Used To Be
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
This is terrible, the way that the politics have ruined this resource. I grew up in upstate New York. years ago they outlawed netting of all inland waters, no nets closer than twenty miles offshore. Now I hear that the fishing has been phenominal. Salmon,Katherine creek,Oswego, all doing very well. The last license i bought cost me $7 dollars,no stamps,tags, this and that.People were excited about the turn around of the fisheries,and the politicians were loving it,as anything good about the environment they would take credit for, but the fishing wasn't bad even then, now,I guess its great....
We keep saying someday, I hope that I live long enough to see that day here.......

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#245259 - 05/31/04 02:31 PM Re: How It Used To Be
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
One thing that I do know - the population of this state has grown dramatically in the last 15 - 20 years. We may blame politics, habitat, the Tribes - but we also must look in the mirror. The fishing population has grown dramatically, certianly the fishing resource has not kept pace and that will inevitably mean that fishing has gone downhill.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#245260 - 05/31/04 03:31 PM Re: How It Used To Be
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Excellent observation, Eddie.... keeps the discussion framed in the right context. We all have an incremental impact.... it's just very difficult to appreciate the collective damage of our individual actions. When all you can focus on is how many (or few) fish you are allowed to harvest from this area or that, it's hard to get a handle on the bigger picture.

You can't honestly exclude the recreational impact from the equation.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#245261 - 05/31/04 03:51 PM Re: How It Used To Be
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
one sad observation is that the areas available to fish and state funds for the sport are inversely proportional to the number of people fishing.

if fishing is so popular now, why isn't it given as much funding as it should be?

#245262 - 05/31/04 05:07 PM Re: How It Used To Be
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Lets see now.

Janurary: I can go out and catch some Steelhead and maybe a Silver or two and top it off with some Crab.

Feburary: I can go out and catch some Steelhead and Crab and maybe a Razor Clam if we really get lucky.

March: just like Feburary except if I so chose I could go out and catch a Springer.

April just like Feburary and March.

May: some Springers and even a Hoods Canal Shrimp for the cooker and a Sturgeon.

June: maybe a Springer and a Summer Steelhead.

July: more of the same.

August: maybe head to the Columbia for some Hot action on Kings and Silvers.

September: some Kings, Silvers and a bunch more things to catch.

October: I'll be out trying for a limit of Silvers and a King or two if ya look for them..

November: guess I'll just keep on knocking some Coho's.

December: some Steelhead, Crabs and Razor Clams.

I guess we have it pretty bad. No, I don't like the Indian netting the crap out of everything but I can still go out and have a good time all year long.

steelie1, Just wonder what you have done to help the fishery except to sit around and complain? I haven't done much myself but I am proud to be an American and have the privlege to do something constructive and fun.

I have my license bought every year and I can find plenty of fish.

Fishing and enjoying it,

fp

#245263 - 06/03/04 03:41 PM Re: How It Used To Be
steeliefreak Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Rapids,MI
It sounds like your (west coast) fishing is really in need of some serious help. I am from Michigan and I thought we had problems, from the sounds of things (editorials that I have read and from friends) you guys need some big changes in a hurry to help your fishery out before it is to late. I really cannot believe that there are not enough sportfisherman to voice an opinion to make a change for the better.

#245264 - 06/03/04 04:19 PM Re: How It Used To Be
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Gee things aren't what they use to be -

The population in this state has tripled in the last 30 years - 3 times as many people same number of fish means less fish per angler don't you think?

That rapid population growth has been at environmental cost - less water for the fish, poor water quality, more flooding due to timber and development activities have all lead to there being less fish. Fewer wild fish means less fish per angler don't you think?

Rapid development in fishing gear and lesiure time results in each angler being able to fish more often and more efficently. How many of you would give up your GPSs, depth finders, downriggers, graphite rods, modern day reels, travel less so that the pressure on the fish resource would be reduced? Increased angler efficency has resulted in rapid depletion of the resource. Meaning fewer fish available most of the season meaning less fish per angler don't you think?

A sporting public that by and larger refuses to get involved in the politics of resource management and protection. The result is this state spends less than 1% of its budget on natural resources - Dpeartments of Ecolgy, Parks, Fish and Wildlife, etc. Means less fish per angler don't you think?

Rather than blame mis-management it might be better as suggested earlier to look in the mirror. Each and everyone of us that is not consistently fighting for the protection of our fish and their habitats are part of the problem of declining fishing. Whinning is not going to improve things - in fact that and apathy is precisely what has brought us to this state of affairs.

My $0.02!

Tight lines
S malma

#245265 - 06/03/04 05:00 PM Re: How It Used To Be
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Can I get an AMEN for Smalma!!!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#245266 - 06/03/04 05:24 PM Re: How It Used To Be
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Okay, I'll bite....

"population in this state has tripled in the last 30 years " Does that mean the number of fishermen has tripled? Does anyone have hard numbers?

"less water for the fish, poor water quality, more flooding due to timber and development activities" Anyone have hard data on this? I would bet that the water is cleaner now than it was in 1970 and that the timber industry impact is much less now. Has anyone else seen the devastation caused by the timber industry around the turn of the century?

Come on now.....I'm certainly willing to look in the mirror....but to place blame on the recreational fisherman is ludicrous when we all know where the vast majority of this blame should be directed.... Need I remind you...what happened 30 years ago?... Could the Boldt decision have had just a bit of an impact on this? I'm not specifically blaming just the Indians though. In fact I support their treaty rights.

Offshore commercial nets get first shot - Anyone know how many fish they take?
Indians take 50% of harvest - 50% of blame too right?
Puget Sound Commercials get their share -how many do they take?
Recreational fishermen get a share if there are any left. -anyone know exactly what the recreational impact is?

The one point I will wholeheartedly share with you is: "Whinning is not going to improve things - in fact that and apathy is precisely what has brought us to this state of affairs."

I have said before and I will repeat... We need more recreational fishermen actively watching the resource. Our sport will die or be killed by the PETA and/or Indians and/or Commercial netters groups if we don't .

#245267 - 06/03/04 06:25 PM Re: How It Used To Be
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
3x the pop but fewer as a % of the pop fish or hunt hence the Red bottom line at F&G. And there is not the same number of fish today as 30 years ago. There is more demand for the generally shrinking resource.

#245268 - 06/03/04 07:29 PM Re: How It Used To Be
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
even if the number of fishermen hasn't grown with the population it has grown alot. I'm sure there are more people with boats now than there used to be. Look at how many people are down there for bouy 10. That river is solid boats.
Head to Pt Defiance when the kings are in. Was that ramp that crowded 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago??
Face it, as the population grows the resources sink.

They just had an article about the new tacoma water pipeline. They started it 40 years ago. If they'd started it today they wouldn't be able to due to environmental reasons. Needless to say, ALOT of communities would be facing water shortages. All the resources are in shorter supply now than they used to be.

#245269 - 06/03/04 07:35 PM Re: How It Used To Be
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
The more I look into this the more confident I am in my position. Here are some statistics to consider:

The Washinton state population has doubled the past 30 years not tripled. It has about doubled every 30 years since 1910..1910-1940 .75 mil to 1.5 mil 1940-1970 1.5 mil to 3 mil 1970-2000 3 mil to 6 mil

I doubt we have twice the number of fishermen than in 1970. Out of 6 million people, only 150,000 residents buy saltwater licenses. Looking at that number, I would guess that there were probably just as many recreational saltwater fishermen in 1970!

These statistics are from the US Census and WDFW. BTW 400,000 resident freshwater licenses are sold and another 150,000 2 day non-resident licenses are sold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1013 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |