Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#246074 - 06/09/04 02:33 PM shad help
havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
have some time off now and would like to try the shad fishery, # across the dam look good has any body been down doing this fishery in the recent past or did i miss it? and where would one go at this time of year?
thanks

#246075 - 06/09/04 03:46 PM Re: shad help
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
You didn't miss it. In fact, I'm heading down this weekend to do the same thing. Weather forecast looks good, unlike the nightmarish Memorial Day weekend two weeks ago when it rained HARD the whole time.

Do a search here using shad as your key word and you should find all of the info you need on techniques, tackle, locations etc.

Bottom line - Look for all of the people fishing from the rocks below Bonneville dam on the WA side, find an open spot, and join the fun! Historically this is the peak week of the run.

#246076 - 06/09/04 03:49 PM Re: shad help
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Nope you didn't miss it, now is the peak

Throw Shad Darts at Bonneville Dam

Just look for all the people.

Buy the Darts from any local gas station in the area.

Ahhhhhh 4-salt must type faster then me \:D

#246077 - 06/09/04 03:58 PM Re: shad help
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
I really like this fishery because it makes me feel like a real drift fisherman. Right now the run is peaking at Bonnie. Go there right below the dam on the Wa side. You can't miss it if you drive down Highway 14 along the river. This is not a drop dead fishery, you have to know the drift.

The challenge here is that the fish hit right at the point where the lure/weight is about to sink into the rocks. Wait a little too long and you will snag every time. Reel in too fast and you will not get snagged, but you won't catch anything either.

The predominant lure is a shad "dart" that you can buy at the Chevron station in North Bonneville.

I feel that where you are along the bank makes little difference as long as you are above the tip of Cascade Island (where the big flume comes out). Most people will crowd up near the deadline but I always go 1/4 mile or so below that.

There are some people that really have this fishery dialed in and will amaze you with how many they can catch. If you are not doing so good go watch one of them and see what they are doing.

Another really fun spot is just below John Day Dam. Here you can park right along the shoreline and the bottom is much more friendly than at Bonnie. It is a little shallower and less current too so you can lighten up everything from rod to required weight.

#246078 - 06/09/04 04:00 PM Re: shad help
SKYSTEELHEAD Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Good Luck! 4Salt.
Have fun!!

4Salt and leadthrower are correct.
Middle of June is the peak for Shad.

#246079 - 06/09/04 06:09 PM Re: shad help
Jersey Fresh Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Just a warning... was down there memorial day weekend, took a brake from the shad action at Bonneville and did a short 20 min hike about a mile from the dam on the OR side and someone broke into our car. Be careful, the police said it happens daily in that area.

#246080 - 06/09/04 08:45 PM Re: shad help
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
Casting 3/4 oz weight with tiny corkies (chrome, chartreuse, rainbow) on #2 Gamakatsu and a bright sunny day in the middle of June is the key.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |