Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#246515 - 06/15/04 05:44 AM driftboat bottom alternatives
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
I was wondering if anybody knew of an alternative, other than Glovit (or however it's spelled), that can be applied to the bottom of a driftboat. Just curious.

#246516 - 06/15/04 10:59 AM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Benny, there is a product called UHMW, ultra high modulous something or other, it is a plastic that is really slippery when it gets wet,if you search online you can find a it at about the same price as putting Gluvit, or epoxy with graphite in it on your boat.This stuff is supposed to be very tough and pretty inpervious to chemicals,water,abrasion and more. When i need to redo my bottom I am going to be putting this on my drift rig. Fishy..........

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#246517 - 06/15/04 04:45 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
dreamin of fishin Offline
Fry

Coat-It
Epoxy base with teflon and graphite in it

#246518 - 06/15/04 06:42 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Do some serious studying on UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic. I put it on my wood boat and it was awesome, but it does have some drawbacks. On aluminum I've seen several mounting techniques, none of which impressed me much. UHMW is heavy! If I'm not mistaken, most of the boat manufacturers have gone away from using it. On aluminum I've seen builders weld rivet heads on the botton of the boat and them hammer the rivets flat once the UHMW "shoe" was in place. I always wondered what happens when you hit a rock right on one or more of the rivets, do they break and let the shoe come loose??? I know there are some quides out that that run them. Perhaps they'd like to shed some light?

#246519 - 06/15/04 06:57 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
I dont know much about the uhmw, or what ever it is. I have been told that graphite has dis-simular metals in it, and could cause electrolsis (spelling) in brackesh (again spelling) water. About 6 years ago I had the same problem. I was tired of the gluvit. I own a older driftboat (1986 fishrite) which is still in good condition. I had the bottom of my boat LINE-X ed. They are able to change the outter texture during application. I had them put it on a smooth as possible. It cost $350 about 6 years ago. The stuff is bullet proof, and shows no signs of quiting. I run the Trinity river in the fall, (lower flows) and have to bottom bounce several riffles. Once the LINE-X is wet it gets pretty slick. I would recommend it, if you can get past the initial cost.

#246520 - 06/16/04 01:46 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Nice tip on the line-x, often wonder'd how that would work on a drift rig. 350 is a good pop,but if you only have to do it once or twice over the lifetime of the boat then it sounds like it would be well worth it.......Fishy............

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#246521 - 06/16/04 08:35 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I had UHWM on my 14' Willies which is sold now. I believe the material bouyancy offsets the weight, and it is very slippery. But, when you hit a rock just right it still can stick in the riveted area. UHWM is also very expensive. Willies offers it on new boats as an option for $400 I think.

On my other boats I have always used Coat-It which is superior to Gluv-It. Coat-It is less expensive, just as slippery, weighs less and draws less water than UHWM. And it is replaceable. The only downside is that every year you have to turn your boat over and re-coat the bottom.

To each their own
Good luck!
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#246522 - 06/16/04 09:50 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
I read on a website that you can take thinner gauges of UHMW polyethylene, .030"- .093", and adhere it to the bottom as a tape. It says it was used successfully on ice boats somewhere. I wonder how long it would last at those thin of gauges though?

#246523 - 06/16/04 10:37 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I have heard horror stories about sprayed Line-X type coatings peeling away in the middle of a drift after hitting a rock. It was relayed to me as trying to row with a piece of plywood attached to the bottom of your boat. Adhered UHWM gives me the creeps for the same reason. No thanks

I have followed buddies through tailouts on the same line, his boat had Coat-It where I drew more water because of the thickness of the UHWM, I had to walk and he didn't. Coat-It works just as well.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#246524 - 06/17/04 03:22 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
Rivernut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I HAVE UHMW RIVETED TO MY BOAT AND LOVE IT. IT'S ONLY A 1\4 INCH THICK. IF YOU HAVE A GOOD BOAT IT SHOULD NOT EFFECT HOW LOW IT SITS IN THE WATER. THIS STUFF IS AWSOME, AND IT WILL NEVER WEAR OUT , AT LEAST NOT IN MY LIFE TIME.
JUST MY 2 CENTS
NUT

#246525 - 06/17/04 03:39 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
mkerley1 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: bow, Wa
I too was thinking about linex. I'm reastoring an old wooden drift boat and I put a gallon of a resin based /fiberglass mixture on the bottom and coated the bottom and 6 inches up the side with herculiner. it's a do it yourself bedliner product. it seems to be great.You can roll , brush or spray it on . The cost was only 80.00 plus a $20 rebate. I'd post a pic but haven't figured out how to on this site.

#246526 - 06/17/04 03:55 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
Anonymous
Unregistered

mkerley1:

Cool! Another one restoring an old woodie DB.

I am in the process of restoring 25+ yo. Don Hill design. The bottom is 1/2" + an additional 1/4" piece of ply. Made the determination not to use the UHMW, but will go with epoxy/graphite instead.

The boat is only 13', so re-doing the bottom every year is not a problem, especially since it will see a lot of service over the next year.

If you have some pics, feel free to send them to me at mikeblack@delblackassociates.com and I'll post them right up for you.

Not difficult, really, just read the Tutorial page for the board at:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/upform.html

One you get the picture uploaded, just place the URL between [img] and [/img]

Welcome to Piscatorial Pursuits!

Mike B

#246527 - 06/17/04 06:02 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd install some glass panels in the bottom, so if you ever travel to France to fish, you can take a good look at their navy. ;\)

#246528 - 06/17/04 08:53 PM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Good tip there Luke, tell us how you really feel..........Fishy......

#246529 - 06/20/04 07:11 AM Re: driftboat bottom alternatives
Baron Von Warner Offline
Fry

Loc: Southern Oregon..
I know several guides here in the Umpqua Basin that are running Line-ex on the bottom of their boats ...They havent had a lick of problems with the coating and they abuse their boats ... The Line-ex is gauranteed for life against but they havent had any problems in two years of hard service ......Von Warner

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |