LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#247970 - 07/04/04 01:18 PM kicker mishap help?
mindfusion Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: bonney lake
hey I just pulled a homer simpson doh! the transom clamps on my kicker worked loose and I did not have the chain connected. needless to say going into a turn the motor wound up and literally spun off the transom into about 25 feet of saltwater. needless to say, I felt like a schmuck out there fishing for my motor with a rope and a set of tire chains \:\) I got it back and drained the cylinders, and then dumped a load of 2 cycle oil into the cylinders andgave it a couple of slow puls before putting the plugs back on, I then cleared the carb of water and reconnected the gas line. the motor fired right up and putted me home. Question is what else do I need to do to make sure this motor does not freeze up on me or anything? its a 1979 or 80 johnson 9.9

#247971 - 07/04/04 01:22 PM Re: kicker mishap help?
Haifisch Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale WA
I would be tempted to give it a similar dunking in a tub of water with a strong solution of salt-away in it, dry it out good, change lube in the gearbox and cross my fingers.

#247972 - 07/04/04 03:36 PM Re: kicker mishap help?
mindfusion Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: bonney lake
could I just put it over a large tub and repeatedly pour that salt away solution over the motor with the carb covered this time?

#247973 - 07/04/04 09:33 PM Re: kicker mishap help?
Haifisch Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale WA
The salt that is going to hurt it is inside the motor, that is the salt you want out of it. Fresh water flushes of the motor after dunking are done to get the salt out.

#247974 - 07/05/04 05:09 PM Re: kicker mishap help?
Fish Fossil Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Toledo Wa.
So the motor was runnning that's not good.I think you need to pull your flywheel and clean your point or what ever you have salt is very very bad for points.I believe that you can call a shop and they have away to do a prosedger for a submerge motor to get it running again.

#247975 - 07/06/04 05:48 PM Re: kicker mishap help?
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
The honest answer to your problem is disassemble, clean, reassemble. The motor dunking in a solution of salt-away and water is an innovative approach, but you'll need to do a certain amount of disassembly and cleaning.

#247976 - 07/06/04 06:55 PM Re: kicker mishap help?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I'm with little fish

Glad to see you got your motor back

#247977 - 07/08/04 02:05 AM Re: kicker mishap help?
the machinist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis WA
The books say if it is duncked in saltwater to tear it completley apart. Like was said the culpert is the salt that got inside the motor.

The main problem would be salt in the bearings.

However if you want to chance it, you could possibly run the heck out of it in a tank with a double richness of oil mix. You would need to coat the bearings with oil. I would think 5 or 6 hours. Then do it again in a couple of days, then again in a few more. The real problem would be just letting it set. Run it often & hope for the best.

The age/value of the motor as compared to the value of having a mechanic tear it apart just to clean it would in my book could be too costly.

Another thing to look at would be all the leectrical connectors in the black couplers about the size of your finger. If these are not cleaned & washed down with a contact cleaner, they could corrode & then you ignition/coils/power pack are goign top short out or have insufficient connections. This relates to troubleshooting problems.

That year of motor does not have points, it has electronic ignition.

I recovered an identical motor that my son-in-law lost at Riffe Lake last year when some kids tried to steal it & left it just setting on the transom. It took 2 weeks & 8 tanks of diving air to recover it. I had to tear the carb apart, clean the connections & run it for 6 hours before it settled down.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1058 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |