Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#248074 - 07/06/04 12:56 PM Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
Which is the better choice for sport fishermen and why?

How big a factor in considering your choice does the environmental policy of the candidate play? There are obviously more important life and death issues to consider.....does it even matter?

I have environmental protection about fifth on my list of importance in this election year....numbers one through four are so overwhelmingly important that my choice is made before I even get to sportfishing......

Luckily for me I choose Kerry. Democratic environmental values are more closely representative of my own.....I'm grateful not to be in Rich G's shoes right now. Pretty tough sledding trying to defend Bush on his policies toward fisheries management and the environment....... :p

If we keep the conversation limited to how the policies of each affect steelhead and salmon it should be interesting....

#248076 - 07/06/04 01:35 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
H2O I agree with you about the Democrats and there conservation of the outdoors. They have done a good job in the past.

Look at what bush had tried to do over the last few months concerning salmon and rivers. I didnt like the idea it left a real bad taste in my mouth. At this point though I have heard nothing on Kerries view for conservation.

With Edwards as a running mate though I am going Kerry. While I am also from Mass also that persuades my vote a little bit also.

I just hope that the next president can protect our resources.

Aunty do you have any links that show Kerries views on conservation or does anybody know of any place that I could go and view his Ideas or what he wants to do

#248078 - 07/06/04 03:35 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
Thanks Aunty I think that little article right there has really gotten me thinking more towards Kerry. You would think a person like Bush who grew up hunting and fishing would be more into the conservation than what he is.

I remember seeing something on this board not to far back about Bush wanting to tap into the mountains of Idaho for oil and other precious minerals has anybody heard more about this or you think it is a dead subject know. I have been and hiked and fished for High country bows on the fly and I tell you what it would be horrible to see that stuff happen.

#248079 - 07/06/04 04:16 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
Check this out also. All reports will have their own bias's so at least read both sides.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/environment/

I haven't decided yet but I think it's only fair to hear both sides. I will say that the Kerry thing was interesting but very biased but I guess that's what happens in an election year.

#248080 - 07/06/04 07:17 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon
Kramer, thanks for posting that WhiteHouse site. It was very imformative by HOW LITTLE of substance there actually was - and that, unfortunately, sums up this administration's attitude toward the environment and conservation.

Even some of the 'accomplishments' listed are very controversial with little support outside of the industries that will profit.

Regarding fish...

From not actively fighting and appealing the Judge Hogan decision, to the Feds now reducing spill on the Columbia (and a very long list in between), this administration is as anti-fishing and hunting as any ever seen.

#248081 - 07/06/04 07:28 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
We are all able to see exactly what we wish to see in a presidential candidate.

In a quote like this: "Democratic environmental values are more closely representative of my own."

I see: The dams were built by Democrats, the NW states have long been controlled by Democrats, the local loggers and commercial netters are represented and protected by Democrats, the US House and Senate have been controlled by Democrats until very recently.....

And yet, the Republicans are the cause of all environmental destruction and the Democrats the source of all conservation efforts.....Hogwash!

We all see it as we wish to. Rose-colored glasses!

#248082 - 07/06/04 07:30 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
This had better stay civil

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#248083 - 07/06/04 08:27 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
ET :

#248084 - 07/06/04 08:48 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

How can any sportsman in clear thinking vote for a liberal democrat? Remember these are the people that want to take your gun rights from you. They want to close down public lands so you can't access them. Liberals are supported by groups like Earth First, Sierra Club, Earth Liberation Front, and Greenpeace. They view sporstmen as second class citizens who commit mortal sins. Do you really think that an elitist aristocrat from Massachusetts is going to have any insight into the mind and heart of the outdoorsmen of the Pac-NW???

#248085 - 07/06/04 08:52 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Bush is the greatest liberal environmentalist president ever. The salmon and steelhead are rebounding because of his dam policies. Cheney is the biggest environmentalist and is saving prime habitat by letting the timber companies promote forest conservation.

Hydroelectric power cleans the air so the fish can breath less polluted air. Dams promote salmon and steelhead recovery.

#248086 - 07/06/04 09:01 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Dam" Right Steelheadman.

#248087 - 07/06/04 09:04 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

Jerry, do you really expect a political discussion to stay civil. As soon as I read the title my reaction was "here we go". That's why I stay out of them.

#248088 - 07/06/04 10:20 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
just wish we'd have somebody in the middle. dems seem to want HANDS OFF anything in nature, and the republicans seem to want to bulldoze things in

#248089 - 07/06/04 11:24 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
In reference to what Luke said -

Kerry is on record of supporting and protecting the Second Amendment. He has also stated that he will open up thousands of acres of public land to hunters and fishers.

Conservatives are supported by groups like the KKK, White Supremesists, strip miners, commercial fisherman, and clear-cutters. They think democratic Americans exercising their First Amendment rights are "second class citizens who commit mortal sins." Do you really think a draft-dodging alcoholic Texan that can't ride a Segway "is going to have any insight into the mind and heart of the outdoorsmen of the Pac-NW???"

Guess it all depends on your perspective, eh? ;\)

#248090 - 07/07/04 12:57 AM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
KKK and clearcutters are equivalent now?

#248091 - 07/07/04 01:34 AM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
clear-cutters

"draft dodger" your prize liberal pres Clinton was a draft dodging, dope smoking, guest of the KGB during war times. Now he was a freekin traitor!

"earth first we'll log the other planets later" :p

#248092 - 07/07/04 01:41 AM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
starcraft tom Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville
Jimh and luke bet me to it. good jobs guys. you that vote dem. can sit around while they take away more and more of are rights to the out doors and allow the forest to burn to the ground "naturaly" if you want but I would would rather vote for some one who wants to manage the out doors for all the citizens then for some one bakced by the likes of peta and the seirra club and trout only with a guide for lots of money unlimited.
bush has seen the damage done by not managing the forest and just letting it burn and part of that failed policy was the closing of roads by clinton. He is allowing companys to do the work (thinning)for no cost to the tax payer while providing greatly needed jobs to small towns across the west.
thank god gore loss. yes he loss. other wise the u.n. would be running are national parks just like other countries( vietnam and cambodia to name a few).
hopfully the federal goverment will step in to correct the lack of a plan to control the cougar population in californa before some one else gets killed and the state runs out of deer.( another attack last week). ... I will take a hunter and fisherman over a tree hugger who cant make up his mind on anything any day.

#248093 - 07/07/04 04:33 AM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Quote:
Originally posted by goharley:
Kerry is on record of supporting and protecting the Second Amendment.
His voting record says otherwise.
See for yourself at Vote-smart.org Scroll down to gun issues. He has routinely voted against gun rights. In 2000 and 2004 he voted to throw gun manufacturers under the bus.
Kerry does not believe that the second amendment applies to individuals.

#248094 - 07/07/04 11:31 AM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Jim, Timber, Tom, and Cupo -

Beautiful execrated diabtribe filled with hyperbole. Wonderfully done, gents.

#248095 - 07/07/04 12:04 PM Re: Kerry v. Bush, as it relates to sport fishing
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I heard an interesting poll the other day that indicated 76% of the likely voters have already made their decision as to who they are voting for in November. These folks were characterized as being "set" in their decision. So, the 24% that are undecided will decide this election. My feeling is that there are very few of the 24% that is on this website, so, we can have this debate all we want and I would guess that it will change no one's mind.

So, For What its Worth, I can not see how anyone who considers themselves a sportsman, could vote for GW. (Just thought I'd weigh in on the hyperbole) \:D

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1428 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |