LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252776 - 08/23/04 02:32 AM Where and how to get crabs . . .
Richard E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
. . . and you know what I mean. :-)

My father is here from Nevada visiting for the next few weeks, and brought his 19' Gregor with him. He just picked up a couple of new crab traps this weekend, and is anxious to use them.

He's staying with me and I live in north Seattle, where the Shilshole ramp is easily accessible. He could/would go north, too, as far as, say, Kayak.

I have never been crabbing, and I have no clue where to go or any insight to give him as far as good tides, good bait, how long to leave out his traps, depth of water, preferred bottoms for crabbing, etc.

Any advice and input you could provide will be extremely appreciated! We'll speak highly of you and toast you as we're dining on Puget Sound crabs . . .

Thanks again!

P.S. He's also absolutely slobbering to go salmon fishing, and has boxes of new tackle he's bought for this trip. I'm thinking of pointing in the direction of Jeff Head. Other thoughts about local spots in north Puget Sound? He and I are talking about maybe heading to Neah Bay for a few days this coming weekend.

Cheers!

#252777 - 08/23/04 05:32 AM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Dee Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
I'd avoid anyplace around Shilshole for crab and head north. All the beaches in King County are closed to clamming due to pollution, so if the filter feeders are tainted, I'd think the scavengers would be as well.

Try the launch at Camano Island State Park. It's about an hour and twenty minutes from Seattle, no ferry required. You can drop pots and then troll for silvers.

Delbert

#252778 - 08/23/04 10:53 AM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
Head up to Everett and try between the Everett launch and Mukilteo. We crabbed in front of the Navy Base in Everett on Saturday,and had 3 limits in just over two hours. There are a ton of crab out there now,and their weren't many pots out there.

Each time we'd pull a pot we'd have 30-40 crabs with 3-4 keepers in each one. We we're only soaking the pots for 30-45 minutes between pulls.

We used chicken thighs in a couple pots,steelhead carcasses in a couple,and then some frozen mackeral in the last pot. All 5 pots caught crab,with no real difference in what was used for bait.

We had the pots in 20-65' of water.

There are a bunch of softshell crabs out there right now so make sure the ones you keep have a hard shell.

#252779 - 08/23/04 11:52 AM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by delbert:
I'd avoid anyplace around Shilshole for crab and head north. All the beaches in King County are closed to clamming due to pollution, so if the filter feeders are tainted, I'd think the scavengers would be as well.
You thought wrong, delbert. ;\) PSP and/or eating critters with PSP does not effect our crabes.

The crabes are fine. The only word of caution I'd tell anyone who eats crabes would be to rinse and wash the snot out of them (externally) and don't cook or eat the guts. IE, don't cook whole crabs. Clean them first by removing the guts and gills *than* cook them.

#252780 - 08/23/04 11:55 AM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
If you go to 8-1 or 8-2 make sure you crab only Friday-Monday.

#252781 - 08/23/04 12:13 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Launch out of Everett, then go to one of these places:

1. between Mukilteo and Everett
2. SE end of Gedney
3. N end of Gedney
4. S end of Camano

Bait with chicken thighs/leg quarters, turkey drumsticks, or salmon heads/spines. Drop in 30-60' of water where you think the bottom is muddy, sandy, and/or grassy. Avoid rocky bottom. Use plenty of weighted line -- 150% of water depth. Pull after 1 hour. If you find sea stars or no Dungeness crabs, move the traps. Otherwise, clear out the traps (retaining keepers of course :-) ) and put the traps right back in. Leave in another hour (or 2 or 3) and repeat until you have enough crab. Don't keep the soft shelled ones (squeeze the segment of a leg closest to the body and if it gives, it is soft) as it is illegal and there isn't much meat in there anyway.

Finegrain
Woodinville

#252782 - 08/23/04 12:40 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Closest and easiest would be to launch at Shilshoe go south around West Pt and drop pots along shoreline to the south. You'll get an idea where when you see the other pots. Then go back to West Point or head to Meadow Point (the point at north end of Shilshoe Bay) and try for silvers.

#252783 - 08/23/04 01:51 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Dee Offline
Parr

Parker, you goob. I wasn't talking about PSP (redtide), I'm talking about our good friend fecal coliform. Too much sh*t in the water. PSP only builds up in filter feeders, but scavengers pick up most everything.

Delbert

#252784 - 08/23/04 02:06 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by delbert:
Parker, you goob. I wasn't talking about PSP (redtide), I'm talking about our good friend fecal coliform. Too much sh*t in the water. PSP only builds up in filter feeders, but scavengers pick up most everything.

Delbert
Wash the outside of the crabe and don't cook or eat the guts, and you will be fine. Fecal coliform doesn't collect in muscle tissue (if I recall correctly). Just guts and other ickers.

Maybe hold back on that "Crabe Juice Cocktail". Ugh.

Oh yeah, only a looney would even consider eating a Puget Sound shellfish. Even the oysters in Hood Canal are not safe to eat raw these days. Ick.

#252786 - 08/23/04 02:46 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Oh great. Now I get all the credit for polluting the Puget Sound and Hood Canal!

(All you waterfront property owners should just look the other way now....)

Damn, I'm good! \:D

#252788 - 08/23/04 04:42 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
I'm still wondering what a goob is. Or is that a raw oyster? \:D

#252789 - 08/23/04 04:43 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally posted by AuntyM:
I did not know Parker had a background in shellfish biology.
B.S. UW School of Fisheries, 1991.

One of my favorite courses was the shellfish bio class taught by Dr. Ken Chew. To pass his class, you had to eat everything he put in front of you - either in the lab, or on one of his beaches. I swear, if it crawled, oozed, slimed, or hunkered on a beach, I ate it raw. Ugh.

So yeah, a "background" in shellfish. Not an expert, by any means, but knowledgeable enough.

Quote:
Makes no difference WHERE the oysters come from. Public agencies always tell you to cook your oysters. As of this moment, I can assure everyone that HC oysters are safe to eat if cooked. In addition, I know several people who still eat them raw and have suffered no ill effects.

Is it too early for my "don't pick Parker" campaign yet? ;\)
Raw is bad. Cooked is OK. Sorry if I forgot to leave out the cooked bit for them slimy oysters.

Not too sure I'd eat any Puget Sound shellfish, raw or cooked.

There, is that any better?

Oh please, pick on me! It brightens up my day!

#252791 - 08/23/04 06:13 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Dee Offline
Parr

FYI - goob is just the short form of goober.

In an effort not to be black listed on future fishing trips, I'll refrain from listing most of the nicknames Parker had around our fraternity house.

I've eaten a lot of things Parker turned his nose up at (well actually he laughed). Asian steamed sculpin, anyone?

I'll eat clams and mussels from Camano and points north, but the pollution levels around west point and Seattle non-point source pollution in general has me leary about eating any resident dwellers. Transitory species, like salmon, will be happily consumed.

I also wonder about heavy metals and how they accumulate in crabs.

#252792 - 08/23/04 07:16 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
delbert,

If you have any questions about the "heavy metals", I'd ask H20...he's definitely the expert on this board...

\:D

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#252794 - 08/23/04 08:40 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
BW Offline
Spawner

delbert, I know what a goober is. You should get used to looking for things like smile faces \:D That means it was a joke....

Have a nice day :p

#252796 - 08/23/04 10:11 PM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
BW Offline
Spawner

Marsha you know I was not refering to you or Parker right? Ya know my sence of humor is just a little different. ;\) \:D

#252798 - 08/24/04 12:39 AM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Dee Offline
Parr

Just for the record I've known Parker since he was a snot nosed freshman at the UW. That kid didn't say three words his entire first quarter in the house.

Delbert

#252799 - 08/24/04 12:50 AM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
posted by AuntyM:

"I have it on good authority that he has a greatsense of humor and can take it like a grown up. "

I swear, Michael, she didn't hear it from me...I never would have told Aunty such a bold faced lie! I was brought up better than that...to always respect my elders!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#252800 - 08/24/04 01:05 AM Re: Where and how to get crabs . . .
Richard E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks for all of the input! This should be able to keep my pop busy for a few days!

Richard

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |