Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253807 - 09/02/04 02:32 PM moratorium rescinded
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
I heard a "rumor" that the WSR moratorium has been rescinded. Sorta nice to hear that something that was pushed thru on a backdoor deal got the boot.

Let's hope that if WSC feels they should continue on this issue that they follow the rules the next time.

I for one am "on the fence" on WSR. My objection was the way this rule was inacted.

#253808 - 09/02/04 02:55 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
Land Tuna Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kirkland Wa USA
Sounds like there will be a one fish for year limit. Now the town of Forks is in really big trouble. How many bonkers are going to come to town for the week to be able to only kill one fish and how many C&R people are going to spend their money there after the way the town acted. I was really hoping the mayor looked at this entire issue differently because the people of Forks are going to be hurt the most by this in the long run. One fish is not enough with some and one fish is too much with for others. Forks is has hurt itself I think in the long run if the one fish a year is true. They woould have been better off with the moratorium.

#253809 - 09/02/04 02:57 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
JJ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: redmond, WA
Not going into the back door issue again. Old and lame and been done to death. Even when we follow the "proper" channels and the majority of the people want this it still gets shot down. This is rediculous.

The moratorium was rescinded this afternoon but the limit was reduced from 5 fish a year to 1 fish a year.

We keep inching along in the right direction but the politics of this is riduclous.

JJ

#253810 - 09/02/04 02:57 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Zen Leecher,

I will resist the urge to invite you to kiss my arse and instead just comment that it appears they did just fine following the rules. It is at least nice to know that while you sit up there on the fence all full of indecision, you will only legally be able to now bonk one wild fish a year.

sinktip

#253811 - 09/02/04 02:58 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
JJ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: redmond, WA
My letter I just sent to the Chamber in Forks:

Dear Forks Chamber of Commerce,

I am writing to tell you I that I will no longer be spending money in your town as a result of your decision to fight to get the wild steelhead kill moratorium over turned which it just was today. As a catch and release advocate you and your political leaders have made it very clear that you don’t want my kind of people out there in your town spending our money. I don’t make a ton of trips out there but I usually make 2 trips a year and probably spend around $500 each year out there maybe a little more but you have now lost my portion and I will be recommending to others to do the same. Of course this year me and my buddies were going to do our annual winter trip out there rather then the Skagit but no more (4 people for a minimum of 3 days). Your short sightedness is truly amazing to me. You all said at the hearing saying you would rather have no fishing then have a catch and release fishing well you still get to kill your fish and help to take another resource into the ground.

Since you don’t want my kind out there I won’t trouble you by coming out there and will save you the trouble of looking down and making snide remarks.

Jeff Johnson

#253812 - 09/02/04 03:04 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Sinktip, let's hope Bob will give your invite the response it deserves.

Sounds personal to me.

#253813 - 09/02/04 03:18 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Sounds to me like a classic compromise. Nobody is fully satisfied or dissatisfied. I would once again like to thank everyone (Pro & Anti) for testifying and getting involved. Involvement is a great thing.

In terms of the Forks issue - I feel they made several strategic blunders and hope that they let this issue drop. If they don't, I'm afraid there will be more polarization of sports fishers and that can't be good.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#253814 - 09/02/04 03:23 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
Phishinman Offline
Alevin

Zen you know how the personal think works on here don't you? As long as you don't tell someone to kiss your arsh it's fine.

This is great news! I'm looking forward to seeing all the supporters of the moratorium's fine comments on the ruling.

#253815 - 09/02/04 03:30 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I think what you see in the decision is the states fear of the tribes.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#253816 - 09/02/04 03:34 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
1 fish huh,

They couldnt just said no fish. Now you will have all these people CNR til they get the bigger fish and hopefully they all get skunked.

It is actually moving in a good way. 1 fish is better than 5. I hope a lot of people realize that the reason this was going into effect was to preserve our natural resources. Maybe people wont even bother to go to forks for 1 fish. I will still be there you dont have to keep to enjoy fishing

I approved this message
Kevin

#253817 - 09/02/04 03:43 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
Land Tuna Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Gerry

You are right I think in some ways. The state and the Hoh tribe have been working out differences in other issues. I think this was part of a back room deal that the state put in. I believe the state knows they could win a foregone opp case in court but it's going to cost time and a lot of money they don't have so why not put something as uninportant as the moratorium in the dealings with the Hoh.
Anyone who thought that the WSC had a back room deal going then what about the latest back room deal.

Again I got to feel sorry for the ordinary folks of Forks because their Mayor has just cut off a good percentage of income in their gamble to get greety with all of our few fish left.

#253818 - 09/02/04 03:48 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
trask Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: North Umpqua
Kinda sad to see the Commission flip flop and amend an earlier descision. Let's hope the this is a one-time deal and not something that will happen again in the future. But once a precedent is set...

#253819 - 09/02/04 04:06 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
Leland Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle
One fish kill limit? It looks like Mayor Reed now has a self-fulfilling prophecy of a business slowdown in Forks.

Leland.

#253820 - 09/02/04 04:06 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
Is this going to last a while or is this only inplace for two years just like the moratorium wouldve been

#253821 - 09/02/04 04:15 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
Land Tuna Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Trask,

It's kind a funny how politics work as we all know by now. Let's just say that insider information before today showed that the commission was going to up hold the moratorium by maybe even a larger margin than the original vote. I think they resented some of the local pols getting in their face. But when the AG comes to town there is not much you can do but go along with him. Lets not get down on the commission they have to be worried enough about the comprimise as it stands. They were strong up in till today.

I hope that both sides don't continue to whine on this issue. It was a good fight with the ussual politics involved. I did not support the WSC stand because I thought it was bad politics to begin with. With or without C&R the OP rivers will continue to decline and the F&G will eventually be the ones to implement the same rules we see on all the other rivers thoughout the NW and BC.

#253822 - 09/02/04 04:27 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
cast and blast Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Anybody have any info on exactly how the attorney general saw this thing? Remeber, she is running for govenor.

#253823 - 09/02/04 04:29 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Tacoma News Tribune article on the Commission's decision:

http://www.tribnet.com/sports/story/5498445p-5437073c.html

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#253824 - 09/02/04 04:33 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
T-rex Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
As a professionally trained umpire and with over 30 years of umpiring experience the arguments that are forth coming now sound like some inexperienced coach whining because the call didn’t go his way.

People get a life. Ya’ll knew going into this somebody wasn’t gonna get what they wanted. Walk it off.

“I’m never gonna spend another dime in Forks”—Will boo-who-who. You gonna take your toys and go home now? Nobody and I mean nobody cares what you do. But it’s fine with me, leaves more room on the rivers when the springers and the fall runs are in.

Buck-up. This game is in the books. Get ready for the next.

And Sinktip- In one of my games you say something like that and you’d still be “outa here” saying your not going to say “this” is saying it.

#253825 - 09/02/04 04:39 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
KerryS Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA
Dan Leinan of the city of Forks said he didn’t think the decision would play well back home. City officials opposed the ban and convinced the commission to reconsider the decision.

“I wish the people around the state that support this would take care of their rivers in their own backyards before they come out and mess with ours,” Leinan said.

#253826 - 09/02/04 04:50 PM Re: moratorium rescinded
KerryS Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA
Hey T,

I am not planning on spending any more money in Forks. I will still fish over there I just won't eat breakfast in town anymore and make sure I buy my beer and ice before I get there. See ya on the river.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1407 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |